Waking to feed?

xQuinnx

Reaction score
Shortly after my daughter was born the midwife advised us to wake her after 4 hours to feed her if she doesn't wake up herself as her blood sugar may drop. She's now 3 weeks old and for the most part she will wake herself up if she's hungry day or night but there have been a few times where she has been fast off. Do I still need to wake her every 4 hours in the night if she doesn't wake up herself? There seems to be conflicting information about this :-/ she's currently fed formula and expressed breast milk but only formula at night.

I was told by the pediatrician that you do not need to wake to feed once the baby has regained his/her birth-weight.

i was told by a cover MW to wake my LO every 2-3 hours for a feed. then when i told my HV and eventually told her a few weeks later she said i would only need to do this if he had a low birth weight, lost too much weight after or was premature. he was 2 week early weighed 7lb 8oz and only lost a couple oz before regaining it again. she told me i shouldn't wake him but by this point he was already used to it and woke himself, i was gutted bcos i think he would have slept through the night from birth (with exceptions of corse)

It's so confusing! She's over her birth weight now so I'm sure she'd be fine but the idea that she might struggle to wake on her own or I might miss the little cues makes me anxious :-/ although at the min I don't know if she's having a growth spurt but she's eating loads at the min every 2-3 hours ugh!

It's so confusing! She's over her birth weight now so I'm sure she'd be fine but the idea that she might struggle to wake on her own or I might miss the little cues makes me anxious :-/ although at the min I don't know if she's having a growth spurt but she's eating loads at the min every 2-3 hours ugh!

if shes hungry she will wake, that's what my HV & MW both told me, if they sleep through they may need a bigger feed that morning, but they will wake and want to feed when hungry.

If LO is in a cot/basket next to you or you are co-sleeping I wouldn't wake her now she has regained her birthweight. If she's in a different room you might miss cues from her so I'd check on her. If she starts to plateau with her weight or lose weight you will be asked to start waking her again.

If baby Is sleeping baby is fine. My LO has been sleeping through the night since 3 weeks old (now 9 weeks). She sleeps about 8 hours a night. She's gained 4 lbs since birth. The only time I woke her during the night was the first week, only because I was worried since she lost a few oz since birth

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->