• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

Want as natural a birth as possible - don't know where to start

Rhio92

Connor, Saskia, OH & Me
Reaction score
I'm 17 weeks pregnant with my 2nd baby, and would really like a nice, calm, natural birth. I don't want a home birth (many reasons, partly because you can hear everything that goes on in our street, and it wouldn't be very private!).

My son's birth was good. I managed the pain fine on gas and air and in the birth pool until near the end. I started getting stressed and anxious around 9cm, couldn't push, and ended up with a ventouse delivery.

I'm really interested in hypnobirthing, but can't afford a course. Can anyone recommend me some books? When would be the best time to start?

Disclaimer: This doesn't actually answer your question which I see is specifically about hypnobirthing.

I wasn't into the Bradley method, but I still found the book to be helpful. I ended up using some of the strategies during my first birth. I used positive thinking, visualization, and I also used relaxation technique that involved specific positioning. I think that over-preparing with methods and techniques for how to manage labor, is a helpful thing to do. Being worried about it is also good, if you pursue answers to all the things you're worried about. Being worried can drive you to find answers and be more prepared. Just don't let it paralyze you.

I've posted answers in another thread to the same questions, I'll pop then down here for you...

I went to hypnobirthing antenatal classes and read The Hypnobirthing Book by Katharine Graves (which I highly recommend). We were given scripts to read (my DH read them to me at bedtime) with positive images and affirmations whilst listening to music. I put the music on in labour to help trigger those relaxed feelings. I know you've said you don't want a water birth but I found getting into the pool incredibly soothing, once I was in there I really relaxed. I'm not saying it was a pain free experience but I managed without any drugs (just some gas and air once I started pushing) and went from 2cm to having delivered my baby in less than 3 hours. I'm convinced that my belief in my own body was instrumental in that. Good luck. This is what we are designed for. You can do it!

There's a hypnobirthing Facebook group (in fact there are probably loads!) which is worth joining because it's full of positive birth stories and affirmations. If people start telling you horror stories cut them off and don't let them finish. It sounds rude but you don't need any negative images in your head. Don't watch One Born Every Minute (the American version is particularly bad - over dramatised and over medicated) or read the birth stories on here. Focus on your own, unique birth and above all, believe! I sound like a right hippy here but the power of the mind is an incredible thing! You need all that lovely oxytocin to get your labour started and to keep it progressing

I did not do hypnobirthing, but I did have an all natural birth with no drugs (not even gas and air). Breathing and moving techniques really help, and so does believing in yourself and trusting your body. Remember, your body was made to do this!

I recommend the book "Ina May's Guide to Childbirth" for inspiring natural birth stories and advice. I also took an active birthing class which covered breathing, motion, and meditation, with LazyDaisy. If you don't have the money for that though perhaps there are some videos on YouTube which can walk you through some of the techniques?

Good luck!

I planned a natural birth with my first daughter and whereas I had no pain relief, I didn't actually have time to put any of the other plans into action.
I did buy some oils, that I read you can either put in your bath, or burn etc that are meant to trigger something in your brain to help! But whether they work or not, I never got too know! The internet it brilliant, for other peoples experiences and facts if there from a reliable source:flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
amama
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->