Want to breastfeed longer this time.....

bombshellmom

Momma of 2 DD'S and expecting DS in April!
Reaction score
How do i get everyone to be on my side? No one in my family feels the same about it being beneficial to the baby. I feel like my MIL especially doesn't want me to nurse because SHE wants to also feed and hold the baby. She did this last time, never woke me up to nurse DD when she would take her at night for me and my milk went bad because of this, not saying she was doing this on purpose but I definitely never got the "you can do it!" vibe from her. Please help.

I think the only thing you can do is speak to them. Keep baby with you as much as possible so you can feed on demand. Maybe look into safe co sleeping so you can get more rest at night. I bought a co sleeper crib which is brilliant.

You just need to stand your ground. My MIL was NEVER on my side, she pushed formula and baby rice from day one and it didn't stop until my LO was 6 months old and she could feed her some solids. But it was important to me so it was easy to just say no and shrug it off.

Literally not one person was cheering me on by the end (I nursed until my LO was 3), even my DH was pushing me to stop near the end, but I did what I knew was right for my LO and I, and I was so sure of it that no one else's opinions mattered one bit.

If you have your heart set on breastfeeding and you know it's what's best for your baby then you won't need to sway anyone - their objections will fall on deaf ears. :)

I also want to breastfeed longer this time
With my first i only managed a month or so as she has a missed lip tie and couldn't latch properly.it was very painful even after being helped by midwife.she also had severe silent reflux but as I wasn't as experienced with things as I am now I put her on formula thinking it was.me. The reflux didn't clear up and it was too late for my milk
She ended up on lactose free formula as she was sensitive. No.one in my family have breastfed so I think they also see it as an inconvenience as it means they can't feed the baby or look after her if I need a little break but I'm still going to try as I feel it's what's best
You should maybe have a talk with ur family and explain how.important it is to you.

Be firm! My family are generally more pro bf than my husbands and I would get comments from the inlaws like 'she needs to feed again! See if you can stretch it a bit'. When she wakes after her naps and she's due a feed 'oh she might go back to sleep'. I actually think it's more ignorance and they don't realise how different bf is to ff. I just make sure I have a clear answer for everything so they know that's the way things are!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->