Wants constant attention

littlened

Reaction score
Thomas is just over 2 weeks old, and was born three weeks early.

I've had to go back to work and my wife is looking after Thomas as home. During the day he's not giving her 5 minutes. She puts him down in his basket and after a few minutes he starts crying, sucking his hands and moving his head around like he's looking for food. So he gets fed, but he might only take 20ml. He's put back down again but might only settle for 30 minutes before the process repeats. Sometimes he's taking in more feed, but other times he's not, he's just so unpredictable.

The issue is that my wife is barely getting a minute during the day. I went home for lunch and the little man was wide awake for the whole hour, as once he was in his basket for 5 minutes he was crying for more food.

During the night is a different story. We bath him, feed him and put him to bed, 30-45 minutes later he wakes for another small feed and then generally settles for 3-4 hours, gets fed and settles for another 3-4 hours, but during the day he just will not settle.

I feel dead guilty coming to work while my wife is at home stressed to bits, especially when he's been fed and had his nappy changed, it's almost impossible to tell what he wants.

Does anyone have any advice or have any similar issues?

Yes and it's normal. Baby was warm and comfy in mom's tummy just two weeks ago and the world is a big scary place. There's not really much you can do but hold and love them in the beginning and you really don't get much time to yourself. I would suggest investing in a baby carrier or sling so that your wife can wear the baby and have her hands free to do other things around the house. I used to just let my LO sleep on me while I watched TV and took a rest.

He's only two weeks old...he needs more than a clean diaper and a full tummy. He's still so new and I can imagine it's pretty scary to be alone. I don't think many 2 week olds will be thrilled about being put down. It's hard but completely normal.

Do you have a carrier or anything? Your wife could try to put him in the carrier and have her hands free to do whatever she wants/needs to do.

He was tucked up inside her womb for months AND was born early. It's very scary for them being outside the womb and newborns need the constant closeness of their mother to make them feel secure. Millie was attached to me almost 24/7 for the first 3 months. It's completely normal.

I'd definitely recommend getting a moby wrap or something similar so she can carry him on her and still have her hands free if she needs to do things.

Sometimes babies can be fed and clean, but they still require love and cuddles, especially in the first 12 weeks. I know its difficult, but I've managed to take my baby to my bed for naps, when she's asleep I cover her with something that smells like me and I quickly get some breakfast and a Cup of tea. She's never asleep for more than 10 minutes when she's not in my arms. I also have showers on an evening when my husband can watch her. I can't remember the last time I ate a meal with both hands!
There is nothing wrong with your baby, this is just what newborns are like!
X

Carrier helps a lot....I still use when my lo is fussy and she just had her 1st bday.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
over35tryin
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->