Washing baby clothes

A

AppleBlossom

This probably already has a thread but can't find one.

Was just wondering, although it sounds like a totally stupid question, I have a thousand baby clothes and was wondering if they all need to be washed and ironed before LO wears them? Also if they do what would I do if she came out a he? Once they're washed and have no tags they won't be able to go back to the shop will they?

its up to you, if you want to or not. I didn't for the simple reason i didn't think there would be any problems as i don't do this to my new clothes. Maybe am wrong and you have too, but no one ever said too me and surely your MW would say.

If you did want to wash and iron, how about a few clothes for coming out of hospital etc and that way if it is a boy you will still be able too take them back!!

Ironed? :rofl: I stuffed all mine in drawers and didn't worry about ironing. I washed all of our small clothes (the 0-3 months) this weekend, but a lot of them were hand me downs--so they weren't new. I would say if you are worried about she coming out as a he than just wash the basics, enough to get you through the first 3-4 days.

its up to you, if you want to or not. I didn't for the simple reason i didn't think there would be any problems as i don't do this to my new clothes. Maybe am wrong and you have too, but no one ever said too me and surely your MW would say.

If you did want to wash and iron, how about a few clothes for coming out of hospital etc and that way if it is a boy you will still be able too take them back!!

Babies skin is more sensitive than ours so it is a good idea to go ahead and wash their clothes, bedding, blankets, stroller covers (anything that will come into contact with their skin) with a baby detergent or a no dye and fragrance free detergent :D

i washed all the baby clothes for brendan because babies skin is so sensitive and clothes just bought can be starchy and just not so good for sensitive skin, its up to you obviously if you dont want to wash them, just something i did and will do again because brendans skin was sooo sensitive when he was born and still is lol also aswell they get dusty and stuff in warehouses and shop floors

I've washed all covers and things. I have got a lot of clothes. I think that I might wash some things for the hospital then once I know for sure she's a girl then I'll start washing all her other outfits

Babies skin is more sensitive than ours so it is a good idea to go ahead and wash their clothes, bedding, blankets, stroller covers (anything that will come into contact with their skin) with a baby detergent or a no dye and fragrance free detergent :D

I knew babies skin is more sensitive but no one ever said to me, too do that. :blush::blush: I didn't even think really, brain has gone to mush lol

But i'll defo do it next time lol

I knew babies skin is more sensitive but no one ever said to me, too do that. :blush::blush: I didn't even think really, brain has gone to mush lol

But i'll defo do it next time lol

I could write a book on things I didn't know ;) And I'm sure there's tons more for me to find out :D

I didn't wash anything - unless I thought they needed it. I wash constantly anyway and little babies don't wear anything for long, so you'll find they never wear anything for longer than a few hours.

I always wash new stuff.

Just because it's new it doesn't necessarily mean that it's clean. They're packaged in warehouses where who knows how many people have touched them and then shipped from goodness knows where and in what conditions.

Doesn't bear thinking about for my money. :D

Oh I'm not, My mum never has so I'm not doing.

But I do see where your coming from.

:)

I asked my mw, she said to wash everything eventually, but to leave the boys clothes until after LO was born just to be sure. I've heard that some companies use chemicals to make the clothes look and feel 'new'. I'm not sure how true that is though.

i am washing them right now!! And i'm happy about it - cant wait to see them hanging on the line!!

There's a lot of talk about bio and non bio detergents and baby detergents etc. I live in France and we dont get a choice of bio or non bio and babies here do fine so i'm taking no notice of that. I'm washing my babies clothes in half the amount of my usual detergent so it's safer for baby's delicate skin. If he has a reaction I know this detergent is no good. But until then I'll use half doses.

I'm also pre-washing my washable nappies. Aparently they need to be washed 3 times. It says to NOT use fabric softer.

Think I'll give the nappies an extra rinse too to make sure there is no soap left in them as they'll be sitting on bubas most sensitive bits and pieces.

I'd wash them. I'll be washing all of mine.
Seriously I can't believe people still dont. Do you know what conditions clothes are kept in before they get to the store?!?! You'll see one image and you'll never let a single garment come near you let alone your baby before it goes through the washing machine.

This doesn't change if the clothes are sealed in packets either. They're only sealed in packets in the shops. Not in the warehouses or the ships where all sorts of uglies get into them.

I wash absolutely everything! Doesn't matter who the outfit is for. It's washed before worn.

I'd give everything a wash incase but erm :blush: skip the ironing (I hate ironing with a passion) lol

Snap i have washed everything for bubs, new clothes do tend to be sprayed with chemicals to keep them looking pristine and crease free when truthfully they are pretty filthy!
not going to bother with ironing though i hate it too!

Hmm I think I will wash them then. But just a few neutral things for the hospital and enough for a few days after until I know she is actually a she

i have washed all beanies clothes, blankets, sheets, fleeces etc but haven't ironed them. i washed them as i had images of them lying on the floor in warehouses and then me putting them on beanie :cry:

Christine
XXX

Snap i have washed everything for bubs, new clothes do tend to be sprayed with chemicals to keep them looking pristine and crease free when truthfully they are pretty filthy!
not going to bother with ironing though i hate it too!

Lol worst chore ever! :hissy:

LOL!! Reading all the posts about ironing here. I'm so so so looking forward to washing everything and putting it out on the line but the ironing.... I'm looking at the huge pile of baby grows and body vests I've collected (this is without what I'll get at my baby shower) and just imagining the torture of standing there ironing it all... noooooooooo!!! Please!! Anything but that!
I HAAAATE ironing!!! :blush: I'm always trying to get out of it. Especially now cause after a while my back starts killing me.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->