Washing Baby's Clothes?

I was wondering the same thing yesterday actually. I was reading online about it, they say it's just to remove the chemicals from the clothes that manufacturers put on them to make them wrinkle-free and nice looking in the store.

I read a lot of people say they never did and their baby turned out fine, I think it's really just your personal preference/comfort :shrug: I think we will just because baby's skin is going to be so sensitive, I don't want to put clothes on that might irritate her.

This is why I'll be washing all of baby's stuff - for my own level of comfort and because you never know how sensitive their skin's going to be. Better safe than sorry.

I'll be using Arm and Hammer Free and no fabric softener, as it seems to me that would defeat the purpose of using a scent-free detergent. I'll be seeing if using vinegar really does work as a softener, though.

I've washed all baby's stuff in non-bio & fabric softener. (just what I use no point spending money on specific stuff before even know what her skin is like).

I did it because most clothes are made overseas in some sweaty factory, packaged, shipped, unpackaged, stored & shelved. That's a lot of filth and a lot of handling!

I wash everything I buy before using it. I've seen many stock rooms, and even sometimes, the cleanest and highest end stores will have mice and other nasty things crawling around their stock rooms. It's just too much of a hassle for them to get it taken care of, I guess. Regardless, I don't mess with that. Just personal preference, given what I've seen with my own eyes. It's the same as restaurants - if we saw the things that happened in the kitchens of many restaurants, we'd never eat there. lol (Or so we say, I am a cook myself, and I'm just careful.)

I am just going to use my non bio surf. I dont have the money to buy 2 loads of washing powder. Oliver never had sensitive skin so Iam not too worried x

Yes because new stuff can smell like chemicals and hand-me-down stuff has often been stored in a cupboard for quite some time. I read that the clothes shouldn't smell like washing powder once they are dry though x

Ill definately be washing babys things but i really dont know what to do with a few things i have... most new born stuff i have is 10lbs so iv bought a few 7/8 pound sleepsuits and vests in case she is only small as i thoughr the 10lb clothes would swamp her but if she is big id like to return the smaller clothes but this means i wont be able to wash them and remove tags.... anyone in same predicament??? I dont know what to do?!?! Or can babies just go straight into 10lb clothes?!Im so confused..... xxx

My thoughts exactly. I won't be washing anything new in case I need to take them back and get smaller/larger sizes otherwise I will have wasted A LOT of money!!! Have my favourite outfits in duplicate upto 7.5lb and 10lb so I'm not disappointed if one or other does not fit (next are happy to exchange even without receipt) My teenage daughters clothes came straight off the hangers/out of packets and they were fine. I'm washing all his bedding and things that my sister has given me though (already have).
On the note of sizes I bought upto 10lbs in the next sale and my sister told me I needed smaller so bought more stuff upto 7/8lb. She then said these will prob be too big for first week and I need 6lb (she says shop sizes are so generous) her baby was nearly 8lbs and he was in the small size first week or so. I will be packing 3sizes for hospital bag just in case. Don't want him swamped in sizes too big or opposite too small. xxx

I wash everything before me or anyone in my family wears it (baby or adult), for all the reasons already mentioned (chemicals and preservatives, who knows who's handled it and where it's been, etc.)

I also use all natural, scent free detergent and no fabric softener (honestly, I think fabric softener is scam - it's so unnecessary). I would never use a scented detergent on baby clothes because I love that new baby smell too much! I don't want my baby to smell like anything else! Plus, like someone mentioned, babies can have such sensitive skin, even the fragrance can make them irritated.

:cry: I did and hung it all out only to have wood fire smoke go through the clothes!
I was devastated- took me ages...and they definitely don't feel soft anymore! ...I didn't want to use softener in-case it irritated baby :dohh:

So now I have smokey rough clothes!

I started yesterday. Used non-bio but no fabric softener. I love that everything will be clean and fresh for baby and it is also a bonding thing like a previous poster has said. I found it strangely exciting!! No sure I will find ironing it all quite as exciting mind!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->