Watching over your 2 year old at all times?

I've all ways just left her potter about while I'm cooking or washing dishes etc. Anything that is a direct danger would be put away straight after use and if she were to hurt herself on something I would hear her shout or come looking when she went quiet.

I just leave both girls playing or whatever there doing, they follow me to the toilet sometimes (downstairs ) and if I'm washing up they potter in and out. We have a stairgate so I don't worry about that. If I'm cleaning upstairs they come with me and play upstairs. Our house isn't open plan and I can't see into each room but I do check them and chat while I'm doing things. They've survived.

My 2 year old has free rein of the whole house and garden so I sometimes don't see her for ages and go investigate and shes picking daisies outside or drawing upstairs. Shes always had freedom to play wherever and isnt a clingy child so even as a baby I have been able to get on with housework etc without a loitering child under my feet. Her sister is the same!

Sometimes I even sunbathe in the garden and leave the kids indoors (with the patio doors open) for a whole hour :O

Willow is 17 months old, newly but reasonably confidently walking, she's left to potter around the bottom layer of our house while I get on with washing up, hanging the washing out, popping upstairs to fetch things etc etc, I have a stair gate at the bottom of the stairs so she can't climb up them, otherwise nothing is "baby proofed" but there's also nothing dangerous like exposed wires, chokeable items or breakables in reach.

She will generally join me to help clean or play empty the kitchen cupboards while I'm in the kitchen, she almost always follows, but if she doesn't she'll read some books to herself, run around aimlessly, empty drawers etc, I keep an ear out to make sure she's ok, and check in on her every 5 mins or so...or if it's gone particularly quiet.......

My LO is 20mos- but I will leave her to play alone while I run to the bathroom, or upstairs to get something... honestly, our house is safe (least just as safe for her whether I am in the room or not). She'll go play alone in her playroom often though- or just run about doing her thing. We do have a video camera in her playroom- so I can check on her, but I really only do if it's "too quiet". I can't imagine never allowing her to be alone at any point... I'd never get anything done when I was home. LOL. I work from home on Fridays- and she just does her own thing while I work. Granted, I set up my computer downstairs in the kitchen- and it's an open concept- so she's really only out of site if she's in the sitting area or her playroom... but she does just fine. She'll come get me if she needs something. If she wants to follow me into the bathroom though I don't mind- we also have a play area in the big space upstairs- with a ball pit and toys. So, if I'm gonna be upstairs for a while I'll just have her tag along...

my downstairs is completly open plan...so he free to roam, we have stair gate for the kitchen bit and the stairs. also the bathroom down stairs so i just leave the door ajar and i can see through. deff the best bit as from the kitchen (at fron of house) i can see all thre way through to the garden.

Our house is pretty small with open concept kitchen/living room/dining area so I can usually see what he's doing. I'll leave him to go to the bathroom but he ends up following me anyway :). I take him downstairs with me when I go because I wouldn't be able to hear what he's up to from down there.

Nancy is 17.5 months and I don't follow her around the place/stay in the same room as her, she's happy playing alone or just pottering around and I check on her regularly.
We live in a flat and like a PP can see into all the rooms pretty easily from the hallway. She does like to get into stuff, empty drawers etc but I make sure there's nothing dangerous within her reach.

My lo is a bit older but I have always gone to the toilet she will potter around /follows me in / watch tv I had gates at the bottom of the stairs and the top and she doesn't normally do anything naughty

Gosh, they both have free roam of most of downstairs (playroom, hall, lounge mostly but access to kitchen, utility and toilet when I am that sideo f the house) and I'm forever in and out the kitchen etc. I make sure there are no hazards and peep back at them often... Or whenever I hear screams(Fin because Amelia is pulling hair, Amelia because Fin took a toy etc) whichever is sooner. Fin can go upstairs by himself when he likes so he can play Brio in peace, they can both go in the garden with me in the kitchen which overlooks etc. I'm extremely attentive too, just not always staring at them. That is at home, when out my eyes stick to them like bloody glue xx

Oh and with 2 it isn't te silence which is scary and a sign of impending doom... It's the (elder) toddler laughing manically. That is the "Amelia is doing something he really shouldn't" alarm xx

I will try and organise everything i need for the next day to go downstairs so I don't leave her too long

I let Francesca have free reign too. Even with regards playing on the patio just outside the back door too. Very much an advocate of letting her have her own space. There is nothing dangerous for her to get into so why not? I keep an eye on her, but very happy to let her roam.

I even had a comment from someone at a garden centre playground the other day about how nice it is to see a Mum let her little girl off the leash. She was about 15 feet away from me crawling towards the play area. Easily get to-able if necessary and I could see her the whole time. No problem.

It might change when she can walk, but I don't see that it needs to change drastically

Boo has free reign of the house and she would have the garden too but it's not fenced and we regularly have bulls coming in to eat the grass :haha:. I've never been able to go to the loo alone since she started to crawl so i never have to worry about that and the only cupboard she can get into in the kitchen has my baking bowls etc in it so no damage there. She did manage a year ago to get into the bathroom (unlocked the door) and eat a gel toilet duck :dohh:. I still wouldn't stifle (sp) her freedom though. She loves being independant.

My daughter has had free range of the house since she was mobile! As a baby she didn't stray far from me but once she could walk she would often be at the other end of the house or upstairs/downstairs when I wasn't.

Oh god Ivy has had free range of the house for a loooooonnnngg time, these days I also shower in the mornings and trust her in the house and to come get me if she needs me while I shower for 10-15 minutes. She is quite a sensible kid though really. She often just goes up to her room to play with her activity box, look at books and sort out her stuffed animals and I can trust that if she wants me to join her she will absolutely not hesitate in demanding me to do so :haha:

He follows me round so I don't have this problem. I take a toy into the kitchen where he sits and plays. If he's bored he goes into the living room (which I can see all of). Private toilet breaks have been a thing of the past since he could walk :lol:

Michael is 2 and a half, he just does as he pleases as I have a stair gate on his room/bottom&top of stairs.

He plays on his own a lot, with his trains and other toys and he seems to be really content. Other times he will shadow me around the house or torture the rabbit or dog.

I check on him especially when he's quiet lol but I can normally get about my normal day and he will be fine but if I am cooking I normally stick the TV on *bad mummy*:blush:

I don't think a 2 year old should be left alone . even if you "think " the house is safe they could always be that once they find something you havnt noticed or someone else left out.

There was a 2 year old here just recently who got into the mail and ate a sunlight washing tablet sample and ended up the hospital ICU for 6 days . if her mom had been watching her wouldn't have almost died

I don't think a 2 year old should be left alone . even if you "think " the house is safe they could always be that once they find something you havnt noticed or someone else left out.

There was a 2 year old here just recently who got into the mail and ate a sunlight washing tablet sample and ended up the hospital ICU for 6 days . if her mom had been watching her wouldn't have almost died

I can definitely see where you're coming from. I do tend to leave my 2 year old to play on her own while I am going about my chores, but my Mum said that even though I think the area is safe, there'll be that one time that something will happen.

I guess it's a case of reaching a happy medium - otherwise nothing would get done - but also being constantly aware of where LO is and what she's playing with.

Every child is different and whilst im sure that we never leave our kids for a long period of time or without checking on them it would be very hard to do things if we didnt leave them to go for a wee/make a cuppa - for one it would make them clingy and anxious, maybe im too relaxed but I know that my lo is safe in the room she is in and I feel that because she has been left to "roam around" she doesnt touch anything that isnt for her.

I do appreciate things happen - like your example and the fox story and im sure many more.

I think good organisation helps

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"