Watching over your 2 year old at all times?

Wow you lot are lucky?? Maybe I've made a rod for my own back but my children are constantly wanting to do whatever I'm doing!! Some peace for 5 mins would be lovely!

They also cannot be left alone together as they fight like cat and dog!! :nope:

William potters around but i tend to keep kitchen and bathroom doors closed, not because of safety but because he trashes the place :wacko: empties all the cupboards, puts everything down loo. I also let him out in garden. I have no issues leaving him downstairs while i nip upstairs to make beds or put a few clothes away etc. Accidents can happen whether you are there or not, all you can do is reduce the risks.

Isabelle has free rein of the house and garden too. Its all baby and toddler proofed, the worst thing she's ever done is draw on the table. I check on her periodically and can normally hear her playing anyway.

Accidents happen even if you're right there anyway, when I was heavily pregnant Isabelle fell all the way down the stairs. I was standing next to her but couldnt grab her in time because of my bump. Fortunately she was fine though.

My LO tends to potter about and play, sometimes he thinks that I must be doing something very exciting but otherwise he plays throughout the house. Everywhere is toddler proof, stairgate on, cleaning products locked away and shampoo etc all out of reach. I always know what (and where) he's up to, he's a complete chatterbox & if he goes quiet I drop and run!

Oh hell... Eamon and Liam both potter around the place while I'm doing chores. I can hear them wherever they are and they're never left out of earshot for too long, unless I know they're safe in the lounge (I can shut the doors) while I'm doing heavy chores (cleaning bathroom, so they don't get in and try to drink the chemicals, lol.)

Katie was two on 15 th may and has always been a very independent little girl who had no problem playing on her On her own. If she needs anything she comes and finds me and let's me know ,,, if I am in the kitchen I keep checking on her as she often shuts the living room and conservatory door so she can play on her own... Think we would both go mad if we were under each other feet constantly ...:winkwink:

Tom has always been pretty cautious and not a child to empty or break things but he's also very clingy so below 3ish he was always glued to me in the house, soft play etc. He not only came to the toilet with me but would sit on my knee! Its such a relief that he's now more confident to play on his own more.

I think how long you leave a child at 2 really depends on each child but tbh even if Tom had been more independent I wouldn't have to let him out of site for more than 10 mins at a time below 3.

I just don't think it's safe , even a baby proofed home you could easily forget something and at two they can know they arnt supposed to touch soemthing but of your jot watching they will probably still go for it .

If I was in the kitchen my son came with me and plate there, or he helped me with the chores I was doing . A 2 year old can easily "help " with laundry , or vaccuum or even pretend to stir while your cooking at the table . It's not impossible to alway watch you child and get things done .

I just don't think it's safe , even a baby proofed home you could easily forget something and at two they can know they arnt supposed to touch soemthing but of your jot watching they will probably still go for it .

If I was in the kitchen my son came with me and plate there, or he helped me with the chores I was doing . A 2 year old can easily "help " with laundry , or vaccuum or even pretend to stir while your cooking at the table . It's not impossible to alway watch you child and get things done .

I do agree but if you need to run up the stairs to get something do you really take your lo with you every time ? What do you do if your child doesn't want to help and wants to watch tv ?

Williams 'help' with the Laundry is to pull all the clean piles of clothes down and wipe his snotty nose all over it :lol:

I'm a very cautious mum but yes, I do leave Louis in the living room (gate on door) when I have to do things such as take Alex upstairs for naps, go to loo (no way am I taking him up the steep stairs while he counts stairs and throws a tantrum when he can't go in another room etc., it's more dangerous than leaving him downstairs for a couple of minutes in my opinion). He sits and plays with his toys, reads his books and shouts at CBeebies.

I think it would be more dangerous to force Maria to stay in the kitchen with me while I'm cooking as she'd be under my feet the whole time which isn't the safest place to be when frying things.

Exactly - I have a small galley kitchen and wouldn't want Isabelle in there when cooking. Not safe at all. My house is quite open plan anyway so she is always within earshot.

Daisy can go where she wants in the house or garden and Tommy is 18 months and he isn't allowed upstairs on his own but he potters around in the living room happily while I am cooking, hanging washing out etc. I check on him frequently but certainly don't keep him in my line of vision.

I cannot imagen watching my kids all day long. They would go insane, as would i. When i want a wee, i go in peace. I say i go, they mostly open the door to show me things, but i dont worry about leaving them.

When were at home i leave the door open, and they run in and out of the house, play in the garden on the trampoline, slides etc, rally up and down the path and crash into each other on quad bikes and scooters. Zach is not very mobile so cant go down the stairs, but he quite happily potters up the stairs to get his trains and then shouts me to come down.

I do agree but if you need to run up the stairs to get something do you really take your lo with you every time ? What do you do if your child doesn't want to help and wants to watch tv ?

If I was going to be just running up the stairs to get something I would leave him, however he doesn't have free reign. And it's never been a problem of him not wanting to do something , if he doesn't want to help he use to bring his toys where I was , as for tv he didn't even get to watch tv until he was 2 and I still controlled when it went on so never and issue of him wanting to do watch it because its not an everyday thing so not an issue?

I couldn't imagine cooking with a toddler clinging to me, I'd imagine that would cause an accident more so than him pottering around the living room x

At 2 is when I slowly started the separation!

I have always been super cautious but as he is getting older I'm getting better at letting him be independent. He won't be away from me for long he might go in the hall for 30 Secondsthen he comes running back.

I try and get the balance between letting him explore safely and not being too over bearing. But this is more recent - before I was with him all the time.

He helps me with the washing, we eat together, he comes to loo with me but doesn't stay. I put the guard on the top of he stairs and shut The doors and he roams about with me upstairs. X

Having Niamh with me while im trying to cook and clean would be far more dangerous than leaving her playing in the living room. She does not realise shes only two and a half and would want to use the cleaning products and "help" me with the oven.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Sylvi.H.
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->