Watching over your 2 year old at all times?

My daughter is 18 months and I try to get her to play in the living room whilst I cook in the kitchen but she hates me leaving the room without her, she literally clings and pulls at my legs whilst im trying to cook the dinner and it is definately more dangeorous than her playing in the living room!! I wish she did!! I have tried toys in tye kitchen, sitting her in high chair etc etc but unless she has my full attention (or is helping herself to the cupboards!) she does not stop screaming, it would b far safer her being in the living room with her toys than at my feet x

I have a play-pen for when I go to the loo, unload the dishwasher or mop the floor. Anything else I'm doing though LO can be with me without causing any hassle. I cannot leave him alone in a room though unless he's in his play-pen he's such a monkey and can't be trusted! xx

It's all about balance. I am sure taking a wee is the same as "nipping upstairs for a moment". I am sure this child who ate a sunlight thingy was left a little longer then a "wee/toilet break". Seriously??? Those things are in thick plastic and packaging, toddler had to break through all of that and eat it.

Anyhoo, my house is very open and I can see my child everywhere I go. Soon I am moving to a two level home and I will have baby gates up for him to remain on the floor with me. My child seems to always want to be in the same room as I am in, however, I know this will change soon. I will figure that out when it happens.

Well I can't imagine trying to settle another baby with a toddler yelling and running around in the room! Eventually it has to be done.

I never leave mine for any long periods of time, but I'm in and out of the room all day so they are frequently out of my sight. Our downstairs is open plan with the kitchen and hallway gated off, so it's pretty safe. I'm happy to nip to the loo, run upstairs to put one of them to bed, clear up in the kitchen etc - with a 1 and a 2 year old it's just not possible to be with both of them 100% of the time!

If it's a nice day I'm happy to open the patio door and let DS play in the garden/come in and out as he pleases. I do watch him through the window though, and it's rare that he'd be out of my sight for more than 20 seconds - the garden is fully fenced in but I'm not as relaxed with him outside as I am inside.

Like many others I will leave DD 'alone' for a minute or two to wash up, use the toilet etc (although she usually insists on coming with me and washing George pig in the sink). I'm fortunate to have a downstairs loo so I do just leave the door open and I can hear her if she doesn't follow me.

I don't do chores upstairs if she's downstairs, she comes with me and the gate is shut, but I will happily run up the stairs to take a basket of laundry or fetch some clothes etc whilst she is downstairs. It would be nigh on impossible for me to 'cage' her in the same room as me at all times, she would throw a fit, but she is never out of easrshot and I talk constantly to her when she is out of my sight.

We have a play kitchen in the kitchen which she sometimes trashes whilst I cook, but mostly I will plug her into the tablet while I prepare food as - in agreement with many others - I think it's far more dangerous having her climbing up my legs, or sitting on the counter whilst I'm juggling hot pans and steamers.

be grateful that you all can leave your LOs alone for more than 2 seconds - I can not leave mine alone for the blink of an eye he is into everything he peels the WALL off and tries to eat it, tries to peel paint chips off and eat then, eats every speck of dust on the floor, gets under the cabinets and eats diust, climbs on the couch and runs across it climbs on the rocking chairs - he has now fell off about 5 times because I have TRIED to do something and he has snuck over to them in a second! He knocks over the trashcan, tries to climb the television stand, this is a very very tiny glance into my every day life I am being driven nuts all day and this is as baby proof as I can get it! I have had to put most of my house in storage I am about to get rid of my couch and chairs! I have already gotten rid of my coffee tables and kitchen table and chairs!!!!!!! YOU GUYS ARE LUCKY DO NOT TAKE IT FOR GRANTED! This is the stuff that happens just in my living room, I have to take him to the bathroom with me as I have no choice and he tries to limb in the bathtub and has taken the vent out of the floor I can't get anything done and he drives me nuts all day long is a struggle.

Maria eats dust off the floor too but I just figure its her way of helping me clean.

It's not that I take it for granted but when you have more than one kid, it's just going to happen once in a while and that's life. If he wants to eat paint chips while I'm settling the baby, well, here's the salt and pepper, have fun!

I guess DD1 is just a bit OCD with dirt so I don't think twice about leaving her alone. She doesn't eat normal food let alone random things off the carpet!

I wish I could run away to another room for 5 minutes without Paige following me. She is totally fine on her own but still would rather follow me wherever I am going.

I couldn't imagine watching my kids 24/6 literall, would drive uus all insane. Saying that, typically you can't even pee in peace around here! I allow the kids to play out the back garden alone whilst I tidy insane. Although I do pop out every five minutes to check what they are squabbling over!

My LO either potters about in house as well or follows me doing chores. I can usually hear her...if I can't hear her she's up to something!!

My LO's exceptionally independent. She will not let me into the restroom while she's in it and will play or watch TV by herself. Of course I'm consistently checking on her but it's not like before when she was licking the walls and outlets and such. She even goes into the fridge and gets her own snacks. :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->