Water birth and pool availability....

Munchkin30

1 DD,2 losses, Pregnant!!
Reaction score
Hey all,

I know I'm being premature but I really want a water birth this time if I'm medically able. I tried to go to a midwife led unit last time but was too overdue and at the time the local hospital didn't have a pool. They now have a pool and after my 3rd degree tear last time I don't think I'll be allowed into the mlu this time anyway.
The hospital have 1 pool to 7 delivery rooms so I'm wondering how likely I'd be to get the pool? Anyone had any experience with this??

Thanks all

Xxx

No way anyone can say unfortunately, until you ring them to tell them you're in labour. You could be lucky and it might be quiet, or it could be really busy, in which case the pool will probably be in use. In our midwife unit (which I also didn't get to use last time because I was too overdue and was induced on the labour ward) there are 3 rooms and 2 have got birthing pools. I was told that it was totally luck of the draw.

I had a 1 in 7 chance of getting the pool and it was available!

( She filled it for me but my pulse was too fast and she wouldn't let me in - she didn't realise he was crowning in the sac :haha:)

The ward was packed when I was in labor! Thankfully everyone gave birth before me and I got the pool and the whole ward to myself when my little lady arrived.

You just never know whatll happen. How about a homr birth with your own pool???

Sadly I think I'll be consultant led this time after the 3 rd degree tear and my dd being underweight. I also don't think I would dare have a home birth or even maternity led unit birth this time as I was very very nearly an emergency c section last time. Everyone I've asked seems to have managed to get a pool if they wanted and were medical able though so I'll keep my hopes up!!

That's interesting, I had a 3a tear (baby had his elbow up, rather than a size /positioning issue) and they didn't seem too concerned on discharge. I really want to be in the home from home unit this time :(

When I booked in with the midwife she said because of the. 3rd degree tear. (It really wasn't a bad one, even the midwife was surprised it had been booked as that) I'd have to be consultant led and wouldn't be able to go the the midwife led centre. Have you been booked in yet? Might be different in different areas? X

No I have booking and Scan on Friday, I'm in NI.

I may have to at least start consultant-led anyway due to my history of neural tube defects. X

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->