Water birth + antibiotics?

JFS

Reaction score
I just found out I'm GBS + and am rather devestated about what that means for the birth I'd planned. :cry:

After a lengthy discussion with my midwife and my husband, I've decided not to refuse the antibiotics. But, of course that means IV antibiotics while in labor. I now have to go to the birth center much sooner than I'd anticipated and will need to leave the IV port in the whole time I'm there. Though my midwife assures me it's possible, I just can not imagine trying to labor or give birth in the tub with an IV in my arm. How in the world is that going to be comfortable? Relax and focus while trying to keep one arm dry??

My first two births were quite rough, and I've done a lot during these last nine months to heal and prepare. And now many of the things I'd planned (all the stuff I had set up at home) aren't possible. Feeling pretty low.

Does anyone have any stories of successfully giving birth in a tub with an IV?

There's lots of info about GBS in the stickied thread at the top of this board.

Not sure about IV + water birth though.

:hugs: I'd be interested to know the answer to this too as I've only just started to think about GBS (never considered or tested with last 2 babies) but I am planning to private test this time (I'm in the UK) but if it comes up positive it's going to throw a spanner in the works for my home water birth :shrug: x

:hugs: I'd be interested to know the answer to this too as I've only just started to think about GBS (never considered or tested with last 2 babies) but I am planning to private test this time (I'm in the UK) but if it comes up positive it's going to throw a spanner in the works for my home water birth :shrug: x

Don't get tested then! :lol: So many women wished they hadn't had a test because it caused issues with their home birth plans. If outcomes were significantly improved by treating GBS with IV antibiotics don't you think they would be testing as standard in the NHS? Read the GBS sticky thread above. The IV antibiotics are not proven to improve outcomes so you may give up your home birth for nothing. You have to be sure that the potential, unproven benefits out weigh the risks of not having your home birth. Ultimately you may decide that you'd like the IV ABs but do make sure it's after doun hyoid research. :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->