Water birth :)

I so have my heart set on one and am soooo trying to get the hubby to agree. Hes a little skeptical on it though

here ya go........
https://www.babyandbump.com/birth-a...-07-09-new-pics-added-page-3-5-weeks-old.html

Nifirsttimer....when you went into labour did you call ahead and tell them to get the pool filled? I'm worried that every bath will have a labouring woman in it! LOL

nope... actually i think most women either start in the home from home then move upstairs for some harder drugs, or else just go straight to the labour ward... when you arrive you go to labour ward to be assessed, then they asked me where i wanted to be, and i said home from home, so when the time came (which took AGESSSSSSSSS due to confusion about whether my waters had or hadnt gone) they just took me straight there, they checked me, and i was over the 4cm they require before you can get into the pool, so filled it up and i jumped (well more like climbed.. u seen the stepladders? its HUGE) in and that was me for hours!
it fills quickly, the water pressure is fab so literally a few mins filled it, so i wouldnt worry, unless you are already 10cm when you arrive lol

when i arrived there were quite a few empty rooms, but when i had to stay in for a while due to rubys jaundice, they needed my room on day 3 so moved me to a private room off the labour ward for the last few days...

im really hoping for a water birth and cannot wait for the hospital tour so I can see the rooms and ask how often the pool is used - I hope not too often !!!!

im hoping for a water birth too but have sooooooooooooo many questions about it! lol ive written them in my birthing plan so hopefully the MWs can put my mind at ease beforehand like but anyhoo....

Im planning on wearing a bra n big t-shirt if i do get a water birth but am really really wanting skin-to-skin the min he arrives(providing all is well) so i was thinking do the MWs tell me when i should take off my t-shirt?? lol dont really wanna be fumbling with a wet t-shirt while my baby is waiting on a huggle from his mummy! lol

also for the placenta my mw said that if i choose to get the injection to help deliver it, which i have, ill have to get out the pool to get this....where will my son go???? lol im hoping that this'll be when daddy gets his hold but as this is my first ive no idea how quick all this happens lol xx

Would you mind me seeing your list of questions ??? it might help me write mine - not really sure what I need to know :flower:

*sigh* It looks awesome, but being unable to drive and not having anyone to drive me I doubt I can use anywhere but Largan Valley. I don't know what they have in the way of pools but I'm sure it'll be in use when my babs turns up :(

So homebirth for me (hoping!)

good to know NIfirstimer!! Im dyin to go! lol I also want my hubby to be able to stay over night with me! What was the water temp like? how offen did the midwives come to check on you?

I am hoping for a hospital water birth. Though, if I can't get in the pool, every room has a bath so I will be in that instead! :)

the water was really warm! i was expecting it to be cooler than it was.. it was lush! OH stayed overnight the first night, it was so good to have him there with us!!

i had a student midwife who was fab, i LOVED her! she stayed pretty much the whole, time, just popping out for a few mins a few times... she either hung around in the background filling in notes etc so that i barely noticed her, or supported me when i was contracting, then the actual midwife just popped in every 15 mins or so to see how i was, until the end when she stayed.. actually when i gave birth there were 4 midwifes there, the student, the midwife, then the 2 ladies who had come to collect me from labour ward (they were transferring me to higher risk due to rubys HB but ruby was born before they could move me lol) and i can HONESTLY say i didnt even know any of them were there, i could have been out on the side of the upper newtownards road and i wouldnt have cared less lol!

sounds brilliant!!!! cant wait!!!!

How did she check the babies heart?? were you alowed snacks or drinks? gas and air? lol does this feel like 100 questions?!? lol

we are goingto the workshop they have up there did you go?

hehe feel free with the questions!!
they check it with a kind of underwater thingie.. just like the regular one, but waterproof....lol thats possibly the worst description ever lol

snacks and drinks were allowed as far as i know, but it was the last thing on my mind lol.. i remember they tried to make me drink water a few times but i was having none of it lol...

we didnt go to the workshop.. only because i didnt know they existed until after Ruby was born!

well, as I said we are booked in for the end of next month. Im looking forward to it. Means baby is gettign closer to coming!
I have my birthplan all written up! lol

I had a water birth this time. It was one reason I chose to do it at home, because there is only one pool at the hospital and it's often either out of action, or being used by someone else. It was a lovely experience and I would do it again tomorrow if I could! I highly recommend it!

Does anyone know about waterbirth on the NHS??? or do you have to pay extra?

you dont pay extra no.. it just depends on your hospital having the facilities available. I had ruby in an Nhs midwife led unit where every room has a pool, others maybe only have one pool for the entire labour ward....

Thanks, probably moving back and having baby in Scotland and determined to still get a Waterbirth!

Awww NIFirsttimer :) Looking through the photo's there made me go all weepy lol I was in Home from Home in the Ulster as well! The water is fantastic! I couldn't reccommend it highly enough! Though I ended up in the delivery suite because of problems with Matthew's heartrate etc. Even if you end up on the labour ward there is a pretty big bath there as well (I went home from home to labour ward back to home from home (that was the best bit) then up to the delivery suite (worst bit lol).

Oh and they do allow snacks :thumbup: They brought me my dinner on the labour ward and in home from home they made me tea and toast while I was in Labour lol :) For me the midwife's didn't check me too often they left me to relax and called in every now and then :thumbup:

Oh and the Gas and Air in home from home is beside the bed and there's one that comes down from the ceiling beside the birthing pool :) And it's movable and kind of stretchy long so you can move about with it :rofl: I remember one of the midwives coming in to check on me and I was sitting on the toilet with the gas and air stretched right over the pool completly naked :blush:

haha yeah i did that too!....

and i spat ice cubes all over the floor lol... while sat on the loo naked & dripping wet...
**cringe**

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->