Water?

everhopeful

Reaction score
MY LO is a breastfed baby and my HV has told me to start to drop feeds as he is now on three meals a day. he eats very well but I am worried about his liquid intake if I drop feeds. He doesn't drink water. He takes it in and then spits it out.
How much do they need to drink? I was told to drop his 11am bf which would mean he doesn't have any liquid between 6am and 2pm if he doesn't take any water. Do you think that sounds dangerous?
I keep offering on the hope that one day he will take more??

I would let the baby decide when to drop a feed, and just offer water at mealtimes.

I'm doing as Faerie suggests. My HV said that I should turn bfing into a snack instead of a meal and I'm not even sure what that means! If I stop Aisling half way through, she'd just have a tantrum! :blush: I'm letting her drop feeds at her own rate, some days she'll have loads, other days she's not bothered.

Instead, we give water at mealtimes. Aisling used to spit it out too for a couple of weeks, now she loves the stuff :) What kind of cup are you using?

I don't understand why the HV would say that?!

If your baby is eating 3 good size meals, then you should allow them to take milk on top of that.

They should have at least 18oz a day of dairy/milk, thats the minimum, more is better if they take it!

I am using a tommee tippee sippy cup - is there anything better I can try?

You could try a Doidy cup? Quite a few of us on here have had more success with these than sippy cups.

I've found the doidy to be great :thumbup:

I agree with the other ladies, let your baby decide when to drop a feed. Water isn't a necessity until their no longer BF as they get all the liquid they need from you.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->