Water?!?!

ab2401

Reaction score
I'm not sure if someone else has posted about this yet, if so I'm sorry.

Did any of you guys see on the news about how you are not to give babies under 6 months water?

They now say because their livers are so new they cant filter out the sodium or something which causes swelling, fussiness, slower brain development and/or seizures!

I couldn't believe it!

Now I feel so bad because I have given Rylee water from time to time.
Not any more though.

to be honest hun its dont do this dont do that....im sure people who gave their babys water last year r fine they will bring sumit out soon where u cant take ur babys out in day light lol x x x

I did see that news as well. My lil one's doc has always advised against giving water. I haven't given her any yet however years ago (back i the day) it was common practice to give your lil ones water from time to time, and I think we all turned out fine.

It's interesting though. AB2401, don't feel bad hun, they always have something new on the list. your lil one will be fine.

Its always don't do this or don't do that, it makes me laugh, they used to say when I was a baby lay them on their tummys, now you MUSNT lay them on their tummys, im 21 and still here fit & healthy.

They also used to say start weaning at 3 months + when I was a baby, now its you MUSNT wean until 6 months, well how many of our parents started before 6 months back in the day and how many of us are fit and well.

Its becoming idiotic.

I have given Olivia water, I am giving Olivia water as I have started weaning and I still intend to carry on giving olivia water...

Oh and not to mention... what do we make their milk with????

Oh yes... thats it... WATER!!!!

They are all just pillocks, these people that say all these things I bet half of them dont have children and if you gave them one for the day they wouldnt have a clue.

x

I never gave my babies water, simply because I was nursing and the body adjusts....if it is a hot day, your body will produce more watery like BM, and will quench thirst. The hind milk has more fat, and is more filling. If you are bottle-feeding, I always thought water was OK? But, what about bottled water???Are they talking about that too? I guess those things are in bottled too. What about juice. Good gracious...these "dos and don'ts" are getting a bit crazy!

its amazing that we are still alive and kicking with all these do's and don'ts they are bring out.

We had a heatwave like a week ago that lasted for like 5 days. I was worried about Erica getting dehydrated since she wasn't eating as much, so I gave her water. The dr said its not necessary but didn't say I couldn't. She drank the whole 2 oz. I've given it to her one more time since then. I'm sure we all had water as a baby and were fine. It is getting crazy with all of the do's and donts.

lol oh my god how silly i agree what do we make the milk up with water riley loves his water and drinks quite a bit not everyday but every other day or so helps him poo aswell so im not going to stop giving it him

I gave all three of mine water - what could possibly be more natural than water?? What about if you bottle feed? you have to make the formula up with water! I agree with the other posts - it's all getting a bit silly about what we can and can't give our babies, and I think it just makes you worry about more - like you don't have enough to learn and worry about with a newborn! - OK rant over!!! :rofl:

boiled cooled down water???

this can't be true, I agree as then everyone who bottlefeeds had to stop it :dohh:

and in regards to the weaning, since Juleika has one meal per day she sleeps properly at night again! before she was never deeply asleep and woke up about every two hours!

and sleep is important for the brain development!!!

I've been giving a bit of boiled cooled down water to Josh in between is feed sometimes. Even though the formula is mixed with a lot of water, I'm sure babies can be a bit thirsty in between their feeds. Can you imagine not drinking anything for 3-4 hours ?...

I was given water when I was a baby and I'm perfectly fine. + if giving water is so bad, why wouldn't be when you give them formula? It's the same water, except that one is mixed with formula... !!

Exactly Jess...I give Mia boiled water as well. The way you can tell if baby is thirsty or dehydrated is by their fontanelle...depression indicated dehydration.

AquaDementia, where did you hear that.... I'm interested in reading it.

Thats something I didn't know.

DOnt take any notice , for instance one week fry ups gave you more chance of cancer then the next week they had a bit on how fry ups are good for you :dohh:

Water has been giving to babies for years why now to stop it, obviosuly babies dont need to constantly drinking water but if its quite hot and LO is constipated , water is the best solution usually.

Im not going to stop like im not going to stop making up feeds in advance, as told not to but its been done for years and i done it with my first!! Also more of a convinenece for me. Wouldnt give it another thought tbh!

sorry for the long rant but the news and there stories and what you can nd cannont do just pisses me off sometimes!! :blush:

ab2401 you can feel the top of there head and if there *soft* spot is dipping in Lo is dehydrated :)

AquaDementia, where did you hear that.... I'm interested in reading it.

Thats something I didn't know.

My mom informed of this and I researched it as well and there is proof in the literature that it is a sign of dehyration. Just google: fontanelle (or fontanel) depression /sunken fontanelle

me either!

Well in that case, she needs water.... because it has been like that... for a good while not the doctor just told me that "her bones move everyday" and not to worry

?????? ok?

Good thing, the water we have for her is sodium free.

Here are some pictures of her.... the 1st and last to are with in the last few weeks.... the middle two are from when she was much younger...... I'm going to do some research on it in a min.... but would you girls think shes dehydrated or just has a goofy head?

Her head has always been like that... so I dont know.... now I'm worried.... I guess I'm going to do some searching and then fix a few ozs of water.

Attachments

• Rylee 363.jpg
    Rylee 363.jpg
    21.3 KB · Views: 10
  • Rylee 129.jpg
    Rylee 129.jpg
    19.5 KB · Views: 8
  • Rylee 149.jpg
    Rylee 149.jpg
    27.1 KB · Views: 10
  • Rylee 418.jpg
    Rylee 418.jpg
    34.1 KB · Views: 11
To be honest I'm not sure what part of her head is the "fontanel" :blush:

Right at the front in the middle... just above her forehead.. it's the soft squidgy bit. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->