Waterbirth! Opinions & Experiences

MummyNovember

Hubb,DS & DD =]
Reaction score
I know i am only just coming to the end of my first trimester. But i am already thinking about my birthing plan! I am considering a water birth. This is my first child, and i wanted to know if it is a good way of giving birth! I have heard that water is a great pain relief during labour. Also i am guessing that no other pain relief is available apart from gas and air if you choose a water birth?

Just wanted to know peoples opinions and experiences really!

:flower:

Hey, I've never had a waterbirth but I do plan on having one in August so I will be interested to hear some replies. If you have a look through the birth stories section you will find a few waterbirth stories in there.

Sarah.xxx

I've had a waterbirth. I did it at home. It was wonderful. I would do it again tomorrow if I could! My story is in my siggy :)

Most birth pools are around the £100 mark new, or less second hand or hired. I did get mine cheaper (2nd hand) but I'd have spent the full price for that kind of relief! It wasn't total relief for me, but it was LOVELY! Some women do say it was total relief for them.

Water is good for other things too. It increases blood flow to:
-your uterus (more oxygen = more effective contractions)
-your baby
-your vag - this helps it to open more easily. (they reckon you have less chance of tearing in water and if you do, it's less likely to be a 3rd or 4th degree tear)

Water helps you relax which helps labour along. (Sometimes it can slow down.. some reckon this happens if you get in too early, but if it does happen yo ucan err... just get out again :) )

Being underwater gives you a sense of privacy and autonomy - no one can look or touch easily without you expressly allowing it. No one touched me or my baby as she arrived except ME. I caught her. It was great :)

I really wanna give it a go =] i will ask the midwife for more info when the time comes. I would like to have it at a birthing pool in a hospital but it all depends on whether its free when i need to use it! && Sarah you will have to let me know how you get on!

hey just came on the bit of the forum for a peak and needed to reply. i had a water birth, im 21 and it was also for my first child and i just wanted to tell you it was the BEST experience of my life. it took the pain away on a massive scale. and there was no sting when the baby was crowning. if i was to have another baby im making sure i definately get a birthing pool sorted ( it was just by chance that it was free on the day of my labour, i hadnt planned it) i didnt need any other pain releive once id got in the pool either and i was just hanging off the side chatting to oh whereas before i was in the pool i was clinging in agony to anything i could find. cant reccomend it enough xx

Thanks suprisemummy! I am hoping that the pool will be free when i want it. I want to have the most natural birth that i can. Yea i will deffo love to give a water birth a go, and hopefully at the hospital, so that if anything does go wrong i have got the right people there.

I am not even pregnant, yet, lol, but on the TTC site there aren't a lot of people who want to birth naturally. So many people defend the use of drugs, so I decided to pop over for a breath of fresh air :)

When I do get pregnant, I am almost positive I want a waterbirth. I think I'm just going to buy a kiddie pool, though :)

My MIL had 5 home births and she said baths and showers were what got her through. I think she would have a waterbirth if she could have another baby.

I never had a waterbirth, but I did get to labour in a pool for a good while and it provided great relief, so can imagine birthing in one must be good - they dragged me out of the thing to do all of their checks, I wasn't allowed to stay in there - I reckon I'd have been OK if I'd got to stay in there TBH. Anyway, the medwives did explain that your brain can only receive one sensation at a time, so pouring water over my belly during a contraction would "block" some of the pain sensation to my brain and lessen the pain - a bit like how a TENS machine works really. It definately seemed to work for me, and the weightlessness in the water is another great thing. I'll be going for a home waterbirth if at all possible this time.

Thats interesting to know you can only feel one sensation at a time. Never knew that!

Thanks suprisemummy! I am hoping that the pool will be free when i want it. I want to have the most natural birth that i can. Yea i will deffo love to give a water birth a go, and hopefully at the hospital, so that if anything does go wrong i have got the right people there.

One of my reasons for staying home was that exact problem - the chance that it might not be available when I wanted it! I was REALLY keen on the idea of a WB, but I knew they only had one pool, it was often already in use or "being cleaned" and they would very likely make me get out for the actual "delivery" and certainly for the third stage. Your hosp might be more accommodating than that - I hope so!

Also, if you WANT to stay home and your only obstacle is that it would be safer in hospy, it's worth mentioning that most studies show that home birth is as safe as hospital for low risk women... :flower:

This is a great thread - I'm hoping to have a water birth (if the pool is available) as I've heard so many great things about them and also have loved being in the pool and swimming since I've been pregnant.

It's amazing to hear how much it's helped so many women!
x

I never had a waterbirth, but I did get to labour in a pool for a good while and it provided great relief, so can imagine birthing in one must be good - they dragged me out of the thing to do all of their checks, I wasn't allowed to stay in there - I reckon I'd have been OK if I'd got to stay in there TBH. Anyway, the medwives did explain that your brain can only receive one sensation at a time, so pouring water over my belly during a contraction would "block" some of the pain sensation to my brain and lessen the pain - a bit like how a TENS machine works really. It definately seemed to work for me, and the weightlessness in the water is another great thing. I'll be going for a home waterbirth if at all possible this time.

Wow - great tip about 1 sensation at a time! I will definitely keep that in mind for my Next Time!

Apparently, you can't feel grateful and afraid at the same time either. I think it's one reason Affirmations can be helpful.... Focus on the things you are glad about and grateful for, stops you feeling fear that could hinder the process or make it more uncomfortable :)

Really sucks they kept "dragging you out" :( What a way to disrupt a labouring woman and the birthing process... (Minor niggle - I really, really do NOT like the phrase "Not allowed". I know what you mean though...)

The MWs did all the checks they needed to without me getting out of the pool once. Occasionally the MW asked me to kneel up a little so she could check the heart tones more easily, that was it. Once, I was in the middle of a contraction and told her "WELL YOU CAN'T!" In my defence, the birth of my baby was pretty close at that point and I was a wee bit distracted :) She was nice enough to take that on the chin and let me get on with it - I wish all MWs were like that.

Hmmm i am debating as to whether i should just get a birthing pool for home or just chance it and go to the hospital. I do love the idea of a home birth but i am just paranoid that something will go wrong and i wont have the facilities there to help. But i think that is something i will worry about nearer the time. I mean i know i saw my hospitals noticeboard advertising waterbirths but they didnt tell you how many pools they have. May only be one i dont know! Will find more info out from the midwife. I will be majorly angry if i can't have one!

I'm hoping for a WB too but my hospital only has 2 pools. I wonder what % of people have a WB in hospital who want one...

I've had a waterbirth. I did it at home. It was wonderful. I would do it again tomorrow if I could! My story is in my siggy :)

Most birth pools are around the £100 mark new, or less second hand or hired. I did get mine cheaper (2nd hand) but I'd have spent the full price for that kind of relief! It wasn't total relief for me, but it was LOVELY! Some women do say it was total relief for them.

Water is good for other things too. It increases blood flow to:
-your uterus (more oxygen = more effective contractions)
-your baby
-your vag - this helps it to open more easily. (they reckon you have less chance of tearing in water and if you do, it's less likely to be a 3rd or 4th degree tear)

Water helps you relax which helps labour along. (Sometimes it can slow down.. some reckon this happens if you get in too early, but if it does happen yo ucan err... just get out again :) )

Being underwater gives you a sense of privacy and autonomy - no one can look or touch easily without you expressly allowing it. No one touched me or my baby as she arrived except ME. I caught her. It was great :)

Where did you rent/buy your birthing pool from hun if you dont mind me asking? Just so i can get an idea of decent places that dont charge allot of money!

Hmmm i am debating as to whether i should just get a birthing pool for home or just chance it and go to the hospital. I do love the idea of a home birth but i am just paranoid that something will go wrong and i wont have the facilities there to help. But i think that is something i will worry about nearer the time. I mean i know i saw my hospitals noticeboard advertising waterbirths but they didnt tell you how many pools they have. May only be one i dont know! Will find more info out from the midwife. I will be majorly angry if i can't have one!

You get two fully trained midwives and a whole lot of medical "stuff" that they bring with them. Mine dropped off a box a couple of weeks befre my guess day and brought more stuff with them on the day. They could have dealt with almost any bad scenario on the spot, or spotted the problem early enough to transfer to hospital. Not to say there isn't a risk.... yes there is. Just the risk of THAT particular scenario (not having the facilities there to deal with a problem) is small. FTR, there are also risks associated with birthing in hospy. Nothing in life is risk-free. :)

BTW, I got my pool from one of the ladies on here who was done having babies! You can also get them on ebay, or thru the NCT.... Or if you have a doula she may loan you a pool as part of her services. It doesn't need to cost a fortune. :)

Wow - great tip about 1 sensation at a time! I will definitely keep that in mind for my Next Time!

Apparently, you can't feel grateful and afraid at the same time either. I think it's one reason Affirmations can be helpful.... Focus on the things you are glad about and grateful for, stops you feeling fear that could hinder the process or make it more uncomfortable :)

Really sucks they kept "dragging you out" :( What a way to disrupt a labouring woman and the birthing process... (Minor niggle - I really, really do NOT like the phrase "Not allowed". I know what you mean though...)

The MWs did all the checks they needed to without me getting out of the pool once. Occasionally the MW asked me to kneel up a little so she could check the heart tones more easily, that was it. Once, I was in the middle of a contraction and told her "WELL YOU CAN'T!" In my defence, the birth of my baby was pretty close at that point and I was a wee bit distracted :) She was nice enough to take that on the chin and let me get on with it - I wish all MWs were like that.

Thanks for the grateful/afraid tip, that's really amazing. I'll keep up the positive affirmations. I didn't like being told I "wasn't allowed" either, I didn't have much fight in me to be able to argue the point though, so that's what it became, unfortunately!

I had a completely pain relief free water birth and it was the most amazing experience, I recommend it to everyone! I was so relaxing I was dozing between contractions! I was going to have gas and air until I got in the pool, the warm water helps more than you can imagine. LO was born, she didnt cry she just looked me straight in the face and was wonderfully calm.

BTW they dont HAVE to get you out to do checks, they only need to check the heart rate which can be done in the pool. Unless they suspect you are not progressing you can refuse an internal examination. I had one when I first got to the birth centre, I was 7cm and told them I didnt want to be checked again. xx

Oh, this thread has just made me feel so good.

I've been leaning towards a waterbirth from the very beginning, I don't know why but it just appeals to me. I went to our first antenatal class on Saturday and it just re-affirmed I really want to go for it.

I have bad, painful hips and warm water is the only thing that sooths them...so purely for the stress I think labour will have on those it's a massive plus. I'm also hoping to go for a natural labour - or at a maximum g&a...and I honestly think a waterbirth is the one of the biggest things that will help me with that!

Oh, I'm excited. I'm debating home/hospital as our hospital only has one pool, but apparently its rarely used as its quite new and in a year they have only had one time where multiple request it... If we weren't living at my parents, and OH wasn't so uncomfortable with it, I would definately say homebirth!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->