Waterbirth! Opinions & Experiences

Oh, this thread has just made me feel so good.

I've been leaning towards a waterbirth from the very beginning, I don't know why but it just appeals to me. I went to our first antenatal class on Saturday and it just re-affirmed I really want to go for it.

I have bad, painful hips and warm water is the only thing that sooths them...so purely for the stress I think labour will have on those it's a massive plus. I'm also hoping to go for a natural labour - or at a maximum g&a...and I honestly think a waterbirth is the one of the biggest things that will help me with that!

Oh, I'm excited. I'm debating home/hospital as our hospital only has one pool, but apparently its rarely used as its quite new and in a year they have only had one time where multiple request it... If we weren't living at my parents, and OH wasn't so uncomfortable with it, I would definately say homebirth!

Yeah i always thought about having one even before i was pregnant. I have trouble with my back an water does help me alot. I would prefer to give birth in the hospital pool for the fact that help is there if something should go wrong.. but on the other hand if i did a home water birth at least there will be a pool deffo available! Guess if i did decide to give hospital water birth a go i would have to prepare for the fact that i may possibly not be givin birth in the pool! I think you are due before me, you will have to tell me what its like if you have one :flower:

love all the great stories on here! thank you so much for sharing :)

i was wondering if anyone knows about the availability of waterbirths in the US? I'm not sure I'd be able to do a home birth, but I would love the option to use a pool.

Sorry for just popping in like this, but I'm very curious about all this! Thanks again!

I would prefer to give birth in the hospital pool for the fact that help is there if something should go wrong.. but on the other hand if i did a home water birth at least there will be a pool deffo available!

As one of the other ladies has already explained, you are not on your own at home. You will have 1 midwife with you at all times, and 2 as soon as you're in established labour. This is more supervision than you're likely to have in hospital. My friend was telling me her birth story the other day and I couldn't believe it. They left her in a side room alone after inducing her at 10pm, sent her husband home as visiting was over. They didn't check her at all that night, she staggered out to the desk once where they gave her 2 paracetamol, they finally took her down to the delivery suite at 6am the next morning, still without checking her because she staggered to the desk again and said she was bleeding, when they did actually check her an hour and a half later, she was 9cm dilated. I was totally horrified that she'd basically laboured alone, and completely put off a hospital birth. From all the birth stories I've read on here, you definitely get better monitoring and more attention with a home birth than you do in hospital. You have 1 and later 2 midwives all to yourself, not attending to a ward full of labouring women.

It's also not the case that they just bring a stick for you to chew on! They come with resus equipment, gas and air, monitors for the baby's heart rate, you can have diamorphine prescribed for you in advance if you want, and they can administer that, they have kits to perform epiostomies and to stitch up afterwards. They can do everything they would do in hospital, except perform a c-section or administer an epidural, but these would be done by consultants if you were in hospital, not by the midwifes. And if something happened to you in hospital there is still a time delay whilst theatre is prepared for c-section/emergency operations and the surgeon prepared, usually around 20-30 minutes from what I've read. The same preparation can be happening in hospital whilst you're travelling there from your home, if you have to transfer. Your midwife will alert them and then transfer with you.

I'm not saying in any way you shouldn't choose a hospital birth if that makes you comfortable, that is your choice. But you shouldn't automatically assume you'll be "safer" in hospital, or that things will inevitably end badly if something goes wrong at home. From what I've read, it's rare that anything goes wrong suddenly and dramatically with childbirth, whether you're at home or in hospital. The exception is something like a uterine tear from a previous section scar, but again that is rare, the risk is something like 0.5%, and even then it is said there are signs of things beginning to go wrong. But generally the midwives can see if there are problems emerging and prepare for any interventions with plenty of time, whether you're at home or in hospital.

So the statement of "help being at hand in hospital" whilst not inaccurate, does not exclude the fact that there is equally help at hand if you're at home, and some would argue that the help you have at home is better because it's 1:1 care.

I would spend plenty of time reading up on your options and making your choices well in advance so whatever you choose it is with accurate knowledge and not just assumption. I've only been reading up on home births for the past 4 or 5 weeks. Prior to that I made the same, seemingly logical assumptions, that you would get more care in hospital. But everything I'm reading and researching is teaching me this is not true.

@ MummyNovember: I had a home birth and I delivered in a birthing tub. It was an amazing experience and I hope I can do it again. I would highly recommend it. It relieved my back pain and was calming. I had a great support team too. I could not have done it on my without my them. I had an unnecessary amount of people but it worked out fine. I would recommend the Bradley Method. It not only made me prepared but my husband as well. Sometimes I felt like he knew more about what was going on with my body than I did! God Bless and I hope it works out for you. Of course you need to do what is right for you and your baby!

I have two different stories...

First I had a water birth with my first and I couldnt really tell the difference my birth was so fast and intense I don't think anything would have helped. Though I didn't want to get out?

Second I had another water birth this labour was much longer and OMG I felt the difference I chilled out the moment I went into the water and she was born within 30 mins.

For me my labour gets faster the moment I get into water I would never ever give birth (unless I can't obviously) without a pool again.

:flower:

On the other topic of mws...

First birth I was left with a student and it was a very very fast labour and there were lights going and beepers and people running it was flipping crazy :(

Second one was at home, I had two mws and they sat back and let me get on with it they were all prepared even though the last part was very fast again (once established)

:shrug:

I loved it - you just can't beat the enveloping feeling of the water around you, it holds you, supports you, gives you freedom to move and comforts you like your very own womb and protected space. I don't want to do it any other way.
The pool will be out for this little cooker, as it was with my first at home. I just have to try and find the pump first, as it is lost in the garage at the moment!! ;-)
Xxx

Great thread - I'm due my 5th (and final) baby and would love to try a water birth.

I always feel nauseous in labour though. My partner can't touch me as it makes me feel sick and I can't have gas and air as that makes me feel sick.

I wondered if anybody knows whether the water would make the nausea worse? Has anybody had nausea while in labour and found the water made things worse or better?

I guess everyone is different but I've not heard many people talk about feeling nauseous from using water :)

I guess everyone is different but I've not heard many people talk about feeling nauseous from using water :)

I was dry heaved two or three times, but I think it was because I had an empty stomach.

Yeah I imagine it's not the water that actually causes it. If a woman was gipping I'd be more thinking she was headed for transition rather than the water being the problem. It would probably occur on dry land at at that point too. :)

Great thread - I'm due my 5th (and final) baby and would love to try a water birth.

I always feel nauseous in labour though. My partner can't touch me as it makes me feel sick and I can't have gas and air as that makes me feel sick.

I wondered if anybody knows whether the water would make the nausea worse? Has anybody had nausea while in labour and found the water made things worse or better?

The great thing about the pool is, if you HAVE it and it is set up.... its there if you want it. You are not obligated to get in if you don't fancy it. You don't have to stay in if you feel it is making your nausea worse.... :D

This has been very helpful thanks ladies :) My HB is already planned but I haven't talked about water birth with my mw yet.. I'll do that when I see her next at the beginning of July. I've just had a look on ebay and the price isn't too bad... and I guess it can always be used as a big paddling pool for the kids afterwards :)

I had a waterbirth at our hospitals birthing centre with this lo and would defiently say it was the best labour yet. Even though I didnt find the contractions any less painful than my other 2 births (not that I had them overly painful anyway) it was the way that I was able to move about freely that I found really helpful.

Also like another poster said I did really like the way that I had more privacy with a waterbirth as unless you are right up close you cannot see to much at all. If I was to have another I would defiently opt for another waterbirth if possible :flower:

Yay! Ladies - had my consultant appointment and they aren't going to stop me having a waterbirth! In fact - they'd actually support and recommend it!

I haven't been this happy in a long time!! They now have two pools at our hospital, so my chances has literally doubled! :-D

Yay! Ladies - had my consultant appointment and they aren't going to stop me having a waterbirth! In fact - they'd actually support and recommend it!

I haven't been this happy in a long time!! They now have two pools at our hospital, so my chances has literally doubled! :-D

congrats!! :thumbup: i hope it goes well for you! :flower: i prey i have the same responce lol

I would totally recommend a waterbirth-My first 3 babies were waterbirths+am hoping for my 4th at the end of october! :cool:

My pool has arrived and I have told my OH and his brother, who is visiting, that if they want to be fed tomorrow then they need to inflate the pool for me. :)

The great thing about the pool is, if you HAVE it and it is set up.... its there if you want it. You are not obligated to get in if you don't fancy it. You don't have to stay in if you feel it is making your nausea worse.... :D

Duh :dohh: of course you're absolutely right - at least by opting for a home waterbirth I have the chance it could go well. And if I have to get out and do it the same way I have previous labours then I wouldn't mind too much.
Thank you for pointing out the obvious - sometimes I get so wrapped up in "what ifs" I can't see logic!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->