We got our diagnosis - Autism

Fluxuspoem

Mama
Reaction score
Hi everyone,

Today we got our diagnosis that Christina has Autism.

I am not sad or upset about it, even though I cried a lto when it was suggested 6 months ago. I dont know why but I feel positive that the label will give us access to tools to help her and that is what i want for her most. To get specific help around her needs and nobody elses. We were lucky this process took less than expected EAling Council have been fantastic on that front.

Now on with waiting for appointments for O/T, Speech and the EArly programme. Anyone familiar with the later? what is it about?

Also, Christina is 3 do you think I should start process of us applying for special education help etc? I heard that can be a nightmare/ any suggestions advise on how to go about this??? I am very new and not familiar with anything at the moment.

Thank you xx

First off, I can imagine how overwhelmed you must be. I have worked with many children on the spectrum and find them to be amazing. Not sure how severe your daughters autism is? Does she have delayed speech? What was reason for diagnosis? I'm just trying to get an idea of your situation. As far as Special education services, OT, Speech and Early intervention all fall under this umbrella. The good thing is that she has received an early diagnosis, it will enable both yourself and providers to be proactive so that she can be equipped with as many skills as possible before starting elementary school. I hope all works out and us as stress free as possible <3

Hi and thanks for you response!

She has some speech delay but she is verbal. She got much better the past few months and we are on a wait list for 5 speech therapy sessions. Reason she was referred was because she started changing around 15 months, not turning when called and not looking into our eyes. This has all gone now and she is very attentive and looks at us appripriately but there are still other parts of her development that indicated the need for assesment and the final diagnosis. The doctor was reluctant to tell us where she sits on teh spectrum because even though she is probably high functioning in some areas, ther are others like the social interaction which affect her life a lot so she couldnt tell me on a scale. I class her as high functioning but I am her mum and biased :)

Do you work on the field? or do you have a child that is on the spectrum?

Christina is overall ok, struggles with communication but trying hard to express herself. She can express her needs ( what she wants) but she finds it difficult to focus or do circle time or anything like that. She also doesnt really hold a converstation even though she talks. She plays mostly alone and alongside and switches activities pretty quickly. Focus is definately something we need to work on.

xx

I am a special education teacher. From what you say she sounds Hugh functioning and needs some help with social skills and communication. While at home, encourage her to make eye contact when speaking to you or when someone else is speaking to her. It can be a subtle reminder like tapping her and pointing to your eyes so she remembers. Also try to encourage as much interaction with other children as possible. Engage in a lot of conversation with her as well. She will be okay, just need to give her a little push. Believe me, I have seen children at the age of 5 that just began taking. The earlier it is detected and the earlier she receives services the more progress she will make. Lots of luck,if you have any questions feel free to ask :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
AngelMom1012
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->