weaning and formula feeding

overcomer79

LT-TTC success 3.5yrs
Reaction score
I'm posting this in here as I don't feel it to safe to post in the other section. What have you been told as for the guidelines for formula fed babies? I was told with both of mine at four months and that's what we did. I only learned today that it is possibly that the "six month" guidelines are for breastfed only. Does anyone know?

Please no one virtually shoot me for this, but I really think the guidelines should be what works for you and your family.:thumbup:

But, to answer your question, yes I have read this before and it has to do with iron absorption.

I honestly couldn't tell you exactly how old my 16yo DD was when she started solids; probably close to 4 months as that was what the books said at the time.

My DS is almost 5 months and is still strictly formula fed, simply bc it works, he's happy and I can't be bothered.:haha:

My daughter became interested in five months but we were told at four months by our doctor that we trust. I guess when people say six months they assume you are breastfeeding. But yes, it should be what works with people's family.

I honestly don't really know. It does seem like all that new research is based on bf'd babies - it all says "exclusive breast feed for the first 6 months" ok well, what if you ff? I asked my ped.'s thoughts on it and she said she bases what she tells each parent based on the individual baby. She told me to go ahead with my lo to help with reflux, but stressed that it should only be a small amount and if it weren't for reflux she'd have me wait 1 more month only because lo is really packing on the pounds lol (not since weaning, just form formula alone). I truly think it really does depend on the baby.

The guidelines will be the same for BF and FF - it's around 6 months (26 weeks),currently. 17 weeks is the minimum age. I weaned my formula-fed baby at 24 weeks personally. If a baby has genuine interest at 5 months, they are well beyond the 17 week mark, go for it, if you don't mind the early mess LOL

There is one pretty important thing to consider also - iron. Ff babies need extra iron from somewhere (baby cereal is a good source because it's fortified) once they start approaching 6 months. So, for me personally, I would be a little worried if I waited right up until 6 months because at that point if lo wasn't accepting the solids well, I'd be worried about iron levels. If she's already well established on at least baby cereal by then you know you're fine there. Of course there's always vitamin suppliments, but can't get my lo to actually swallow that nasty stuff no matter what lol.

Idk, I still think 6 months is too long to wait for a ff baby, that's just me though. The guidlines do say about 6 months for both, but it's the research part that focused on bf'd babies, so kind of makes you second guess it if you ff :shrug:

The guidelines will be the same for BF and FF - it's around 6 months (26 weeks),currently. 17 weeks is the minimum age. I weaned my formula-fed baby at 24 weeks personally. If a baby has genuine interest at 5 months, they are well beyond the 17 week mark, go for it, if you don't mind the early mess LOL

Ironically, she didn't make a mess. I tried once at four months. She wasn't interested and tried once a week. Now she grabs at the bowl and spoon and has feed herself a few times.

Mommy, the iron that someone mentioned was the reason I asked in here. I figure it was safer in here then out there

Ironically, she didn't make a mess. I tried once at four months. She wasn't interested and tried once a week. Now she grabs at the bowl and spoon and has feed herself a few times.

Mommy, the iron that someone mentioned was the reason I asked in here. I figure it was safer in here then out there

RE: Iron, there is a bit of debate but the general consensus is that, as long as the baby is given iron-fortified formula, then the baby has sufficient iron until 6 months of weaning. Some women make their own formula that is not iron fortified, but most major brands are of course.

The exception to this would be premature babies (FF or BF) who missed out on the additional iron nutrients in the womb.

So, if you wish to wean at 17 weeks or 26 weeks, that's really up to you, but it's not a question of iron intake as long as you give an iron-fortified formula, it would just be a personal choice :flower:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->