Weaning at 9 weeks

sarah_george

♥Proud Mummy!♥
Reaction score
Anyone have any experience on weaning this early? Oscar is having 9 oz sma white bottles every 2 hours and i'm thinking of starting the baby rice, me, my oh and my mom all think her's ready for it guess i just want to hear from anyone else that weaned this early? I KNOW the guidelines are 4-6 months so no need to tell me its too early unless you have tried it and can share you experience with me, thanks xxx

personally i think that is a little too early... have you tried the hungrier baby milk versions? they might fill him up more?!

Or maybe it could just be a little growth spurt and he may slow down soon ?! :hugs:

i think u should ask ur hv for advice on this as oscars tummy isnot developed enough to take foods on yet but id also say it could be a growth spurt they r a pain n very confusing and also try the hungery baby milk if this doesnt work then maybe try baby rice but even with the rice he will still want the same amount of bottles for awhile after u start

yeah he's on that now i swapped over when he went up to 13 oz's of sma gold and thought it was getting ridiculous, he's 16lbs and the size of a 5 month old baby, he's frustrated with milk i can see that he is, i knew people would have opinions on this i was just after experience thanks x

i dont think anyone that i no of on here weaned this early, i no a friend of mine who weaned at 12 weeks and it went fine, u just have to be careful as his tummy is so sensitive still but call ur health visitor and they will be able to gove u more advice then anyone on here can

Didn't start weaning Brianna quite that early but did start her just shy of 3 months. She was just ready for it, and I knew that. She was taking 42oz a day of formula. I asked her Dr. and she said that she thought that was far too much and to go ahead. You know whats best for him anyway if you think he needs it go ahead. :hugs:

I think he is taking way too much formula also, i'm fighting my instincts to give him food as i know they tell you to wait until at least 4 months, i was hoping someone else has experience of this, he's baby number 3 for me but my other 2 were much smaller and i got them through to text book weaning ages, i'm sure people who have had 7lb babies think i'm off my rocker but he was born 10lb 2 which is probably the weight he would be now if he was 'text book' x

u no whats best for ur baby so go with what u think but like ive said seek advice from hv first

Rachiebaby weaned Maley at 9 weeks due to reflux I think.

Only you know your baby hun. 16lbs is big my Seth is only 18! lol

Baby rice is probs best to start with but I have no experience. Good luck :)

xxx

I have no experience but I would say ask your HV explain what you think. We weaned early (17weeks) and she was great.

I would ask the HV too but it seems like he's a big boy! I would stick to baby rice - if he's not ready then he will just spit it back out - they have a tongue thrust reflex . I was under huge pressure to wean my LO early - he was drinking 40-45oz every day - one day he even drank 50oz! But I stuck in there till 17 weeks and I'm glad I did. If he can sit up unsupported, has good head control and has lost his tongue thrust reflex then he is probably ready but at 9 weeks to be honest I think he will just spit it back out. Can he sit up pretty well on his own?

I weaned started charlie on baby rice at about 12 weeks he was a very very hungery boy! if only he was the same now! i think 9 weeks is very early tho talk to ur HV x

No baby is gonna be able to sit up at 9 weeks unless its SuperBaby :| ^

I'd say try and hold out for another few weeks yet. He might be hungrier but his tummy isnt mature enough for food yet. I know people wean early for reflux issues but thats a bit different... Oh and just because he's bigger doesn't mean he's gonna be mature enough on the inside for food. It reminds me of when I volunteered in the NICU and you'd get these big, beautiful diabetic babies who were sicker and weaker than the preemies they lay next to. Size doesnt always matter.

i would speak to your HV before trying to wean.

16lb at 9 weeks!!! Blummin 'eck, I thought Dylan was big! Bless him. I would definately speak to your HV, but I know that my sister was given baby rice when she was 10 weeks old as she was hungry (this was over 30 years ago, I think the advised age was 3 months then??) and she is fine now.

well actually he was 8 weeks on friday so not 9 weeks quite yet, he was 16lbs a week ago so he's probably heavier now :shock: spoke to the doc this afternoon at his 8 week check and he said it would b ok to start him on baby rice but not rush onto anything else just yet, thanks ladies xx

Hi hun, Leo turned 10 weeks on friday and today he has had his first taste of baby rice. I too was toying with the idea last week but was too chicken to post on here as I know alot of people have different opinions on it and dint want to get shot down in flames. Leo is number 4 for me and as I seem to have big babies I have weaned every one at just under 3 months and they were all fine with it. This time, its more to do with his reflux.....hes quite unsettled between feeds and still sicks up bits and ALWAYS seems hungry. He is on 6 oz bottles every 3 hourly but would feed every 2 if I let him. Anyway, back to the baby rice, he has eaten it very well, he spat the first two spoonfuls out and then was even opening his mouth for more! He had no problem swallowing it. He's only had about half a teaspoon full and Im sticking to that for a while. Hows Oscar getting on? Did you try him?
Fogot to add Leo was 15lb 6 oz last wed, so he was just over 9 weeks x

Good luck ... hope baby rice satisfies him, i can imagine its costing you a bomb in formula drinking that much :shock:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->