Weaning at 9 weeks

I think jack was 10 weeks when i started baby rice. I expected him to eat like 2-3 spoons, but he didnt, just a tiny amount - but to him that was huge and enough. Id give him a good few weeks on that b4 u start him on other stuff. Good luck, hope it satisfies ur hungry lil man!

Hi hun, Leo turned 10 weeks on friday and today he has had his first taste of baby rice. I too was toying with the idea last week but was too chicken to post on here as I know alot of people have different opinions on it and dint want to get shot down in flames. Leo is number 4 for me and as I seem to have big babies I have weaned every one at just under 3 months and they were all fine with it. This time, its more to do with his reflux.....hes quite unsettled between feeds and still sicks up bits and ALWAYS seems hungry. He is on 6 oz bottles every 3 hourly but would feed every 2 if I let him. Anyway, back to the baby rice, he has eaten it very well, he spat the first two spoonfuls out and then was even opening his mouth for more! He had no problem swallowing it. He's only had about half a teaspoon full and Im sticking to that for a while. Hows Oscar getting on? Did you try him?
Fogot to add Leo was 15lb 6 oz last wed, so he was just over 9 weeks x

Thanks for your reply hun, havent tried him today as he had his injections and i knew that if he was unsettled i would be worrying whether it was the rice or that :dohh: different i know but he had his first use of a spoon today to take his medicine (calpol for his injections) and coped fine so i'm sure he will take like a duck to water, I also knew i would get shot by some of the other mothers, I was prepared for that, i'm not too bothered about them approving just wondered if anyone else has tried yet, i'm sure theres probably others that are too shy to post! its really hard when your dealing with such a huge and hungry baby, Leos quite big for his age also isnt he i'm getting Oscar weighed again tomorrow I dreads to think how big he is now! xx

Polo Princess - yes it is costing me a fortune in formula, its also costing me a fortune in clothes lol x

I know the feeling with clothes! Leo's in 3-6 and thats not going to be for much longer lol! Hes not only 15lb 6 oz but hes really long too!:hissy:
Im sure your LO will love it, Leo seems to!

i'm the same ive just started weaning jayden. hes been having 8oz every 3 hours for about 2 months now! he's only 13 pounds though. i've tried to hold out for as long as poss but he'll be 16 weeks on weds so i think i'm ok starting now. he seems alright with it, its just coz he's so used to drinking from a bottle it'll take him a while to get used to the spoon lol. do what u think is best hun, dont listen to the people that judge u coz loadsa people do that on here its ridiculous! your the mum and u know whats best for ur LO. hope this helps x

I weaned Tyler at 15+6 because he was born quite big, and was hungry and his reflux was getting worse so I tried him with baby rice and he took to it like a duck to water. He's 20 weeks today and he loves his foods! I've had no problems with him watsoever. Give him fruit purees and he goes crazy! :rofl:
But I know I was weened pretty early, because in them days you did, and because I fed absolutely laods, I'm not sure exactly how old though =S Il have to find out lol but I don'y have any allergies or intollerences :)

I struggled for 3 weeks to get Finn to 17 weeks before giving baby rice and still I got a load of comments about it. People are quite judgemental I guess they think all babies are the same and don't have to live with a starving one (yet)

An update from me, got Oscar weighed today and hes a whopping 16lb 10 oz :shock: he actually isnt massively fat he's just generally big lol, spoke with the HV and she suggested I give hime baby rice also - she also said she had never told anyone to wean this early before but Oscars just an Oscar! done him 1 oz of formula with one spoon of rice and he ate half of it - didnt want to push my luck any more than that, he also drank 7 oz of milk on top, he seems settled now so so far so good :) xx

An update from me, got Oscar weighed today and hes a whopping 16lb 10 oz :shock: he actually isnt massively fat he's just generally big lol, spoke with the HV and she suggested I give hime baby rice also - she also said she had never told anyone to wean this early before but Oscars just an Oscar! done him 1 oz of formula with one spoon of rice and he ate half of it - didnt want to push my muck more than that, he also drank 7 oz of milk on top, he seems settled now so so far so good :) xx

glad to hear it :D x

It's a tough one for Oscar, as he's a big healthy lad it stands to reason he needs more calories/energy to keep him going.... glad the baby rice is going down well with him. Reading your thread I was going to post a little baby rice couldn't hurt, but it looks like I'm behind and you got green light from Doc and HV anyway! Good luck xxx

An update from me, got Oscar weighed today and hes a whopping 16lb 10 oz :shock: he actually isnt massively fat he's just generally big lol, spoke with the HV and she suggested I give hime baby rice also - she also said she had never told anyone to wean this early before but Oscars just an Oscar! done him 1 oz of formula with one spoon of rice and he ate half of it - didnt want to push my luck any more than that, he also drank 7 oz of milk on top, he seems settled now so so far so good :) xx

Thats great to hear hun! Leos had a teaspoon for his tea tonight too, but only had 2 oz of milk. Hes cut his oz's down though the past 2 days because of the heat, poor lamb, its too hot and humid for them. He did sleep from 9 pm until 4 am last night though!:happydance:
Glad you got the green light from both hv and doc hun, I darent tell mine!

i had a similar experience with Liam his milk feeds were erratic at various intervals stick with the milk n wean from 12 weeks if need be

Thats great to hear hun! Leos had a teaspoon for his tea tonight too, but only had 2 oz of milk. Hes cut his oz's down though the past 2 days because of the heat, poor lamb, its too hot and humid for them. He did sleep from 9 pm until 4 am last night though!:happydance:
Glad you got the green light from both hv and doc hun, I darent tell mine!

I'm sure theres lots of secret weaners out there hun! glad Leo has slept better for you, i really thought Oscar was ready just needed a little nudge as he's still soo young, according to my SMA tin he's over the weight of an 'average' 6 month old :shock: looks like we both got ourselves big strong lads :) xx

Wish I had seen this thread before, I would have said it would be fine to give babyrice to help settle him, Im glad the dr and hv agreed

With my first I weaned him at about 9 weeks, he was on hungrier baby milk and waking in the night every 2 hours and wasnt as settled as normal, as soon as I gave him a tiny amount of babyrice he was like a different child and within a few days he was sleeping well at night aswell, when I mentioned it to the hv I could tell she didnt agree but she didnt say anything to me and tbh I have always followed my instincts anyway and rarely ask advice from hv

With my second, she was weaned slightly later about 12 weeks I think, possibly 11 and all was fine with her too

With Jayden he was alot later and has been weaned for the last 3 weeks(ish)

Hope its all going well and trust ur instincts, u know what ur baby needs

One of my friends had a complete nightmare first 3 months with her LO. He was always crying, waking up at night all the time and was really clingy. She developed PND and was really struggling with being a Mum - just thought she had a difficult baby. She was BF so didn't know how much he was taking. Anyway, as soon as she started weaning, she had a different baby - seems he was just hungry all that time (poor little thing). She held off weaning all that time because the HV's at that time were saying it had to be 6 months (this was only a few months ago, they have dropped back to 4 months really recently). So, follow your instincts and do what you think is right for your baby. Good luck with it.

call it coincidence if you will but Leo has had a small amount of baby rice at tea time plus a bottle then his last bottle around 8pm and he has slept from 9pm until 4 am! :happydance:He has a feed at 4am then goes back off until 8 am! Hes sleeping so much better at the mo, I just hope it lasts! Plus he was constipated because of the thickness of the AR milk but it seems to have sorted that out too.

I've been thinking about baby rice for the couple of days for Ruan. He is nearly 14 weeks old and taking 5 oz every hour from the moment he wakes up. He has 12oz before going to bed and sleeps thru till 7.45am but its the day where he is so demanding. I think i'm going to start next week slowly on the baby rice.

xx

i gave hannah baby rice from about 9/10 weeks - and was the best thing i did, nothing seemed to satisfy her (just like her mother lol) now shes a healthy and happy 4 year old - who still cant get enough of her grub lol and weighs about 40lbs now so is not fat just gorgeous!!!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->