Weaning off progesterone?

blessmefreya

Reaction score
Hi ladies,

I have been taking a progesterone supplement (liquid drops) during my whole pregnancy so far. I have PCOS and my acupuncture/holistic lady put me on it to make sure my levels stayed high enough to keep baby.

I'm taking about 40mg per day, which is much less than prescription progesterone. The plan is to start weaning off it at 10 weeks (about a week from now).

So my question is: does anyone have experience with this?? What is the safest way to do it? I don't want to drop my dose too quickly, but I also don't want to prolong taking it if that won't be good for baby.

Advice? :shrug:

(Addt'l info: I am also still taking Vitex daily, but probably won't wean off that until week 12 or 13.)

I don't have experience with the liquid drops, but I was on 200 mg pills and I heard anytime after 10 weeks is safe to stop. I stopped at about 11.5, and didn't drop to every other day or anything, I just stopped taking it suddenly. 200 mg by mouth is such a low dose though in comparison to others so I figured it wasn't a big deal.

If im remembering correctly, the placenta usually takes over production of progesterone at 10-12 weeks but in some women its more like 13-14 weeks.

I was on 200mg vaginally (100 2x daily) and at 11 weeks I dropped to once a day.. At 12 weeks every other day, and at 13 I was every 3rd day then I stopped by 14 weeks.

This time im on progesterone cream.. Not under the care of an RE. So my research with the cream tells me that levels start to drop after 13 hrs.. Which leads me to believe that dropping to once daily you might as well just stop cold turkey? But ill likely still just start cutting a dose at 12 weeks. Better safe then soery as too early can cause mc if babe is dependent on it.

But you taking it wont harm babe. Sone people stay on it their whole pregnancy. And like I said, placenta produces it anyway.

Thank you ladies! Your advice is helpful and greatly appreciated! :)

Just to add - progesterone won't harm baby in later weeks - I had to take it from 20 weeks onwards. :)

I had recurrent miscarriages before I got my rainbow baby and I was prescribed 400mg daily progesterone from as soon as I found out (just over 3 weeks) to 24 weeks, so I don't think it would harm baby if you wanted to take a little longer just to be sure. They've prescribed it for me until 24 weeks this time as well

I'm on my 2nd progesterone cream baby. I will wean off starting at 12 weeks. I waited last time until about 16 weeks. However, if you were getting progesterone from a Dr. they stop at 12 weeks.

Thank you all so much! I'm much more comfortable knowing that I can continue it for awhile with no harm :) I think better safe than sorry then... I'll probably continue it for a couple more weeks!

Yeah, I ordered more today and I plan on going well past 12 weeks.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
gaiangel
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->