weaning preemies?

mamalove

mum to 3 girls and a boy
Reaction score
My twins were 5 weeks early,with no health problems just tiny birth weight compared to term babies.
The bigger twin is around 6.5kg mark,and i just seem to be feeding her 12hrs a day,she is never satisfied.
They will be 4 months next week,and i was just wondering wether is possible to start weaning at 4 months birth age or corrected?
I don't think the smaller twin is ready,whereas her sister looks forward to vitamins lol and she opens her mouth if i bring a spoon to her mouth.

I would start with baby rice,and introduce just one solid meal between her bottles,because she has around 8-10 bottle feeds during the day and it's constant!

x

WOW 6.5kg at under 4 months! That's fantastic :thumbup: :thumbup:

We've been told weaning is done on actual age and not corrected age.

As they didn't have any health problems I assume you aren't having hospital follow ups? If they are then discuss it with their doc and if not then discuss it with your gp/health visitor although admittedly they aren't always knowledgable about preemies.

Findlay is going to start being weaned at 4 months on the advice of his dietician and consultant due to him still being teeny and not putting much weight on as they are hoping that solids might put some weight on him and help his severe reflux.

I started weaning Molly at 4 months and she loves her food! This was on the advice of the nurse from the NICU.

Thanks girls x

They never had a follow up appt at hospital,they just take their vitamins at the moment because they were under 2.5kgs when born.
One is tiny and other one is a chunker lol but they both gain weight at the same rate,it's just that smaller one is always around 1lbs smaller.
I started buying clothes in different sizes for them : )

I think i'll start at 4 months too,you can tell the difference between them ..one is totally ready while the other one is like a newborn :)

x

Archie has just finished his second week of food and loves it! He was 5 months actual. What a different baby now he is on solids. I get funny looks when I am out feeding him as he looks like a 3 month old LOL!

Picture attached of him eating and thinking he's the bees knees!

Good luck and enjoy!

Attachments

• IMG_2202.jpg
    IMG_2202.jpg
    32.5 KB · Views: 8
Hi,

We started weaning at actual age of 4 months not corrected, as my boys started to refuse milk and drop on their centiles. NICU info I came home with said wean at actual age so anywhere between 4-7 months depending on the baby.

HTH

xx

I started weaning Hannah 3 weeks ago at 5 months actual age. She was 6 weeks early and I was tol dby the paediatrician to do it at the actual age. It is to do with the amount of time they have been taking food/milk for nothing to do with prematurity xxx

i was wondering wether it would be best to do it at actual or corrected age

then weeks or months

alex is 16 weeks today but was born on the 16th april

i have given him a few spoon fulls of baby rice a few time and he loved it giggled all the way through

he was 12lb 1oz on monday

I wouldn't wean so early hun but it is your choice and of you think he is ready then it's up to you and he isn't 4 months yet xxx

im not weaning him yet but HV advised giving him some on days he is due a poo because we have to give him lactulose and it gives him stomach cramps.

def works !

Oh right. I've never heard of that before! Glad it works for you xxx

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"