Weaning Premmie Babies

Lully2011

Reaction score
At what stage should premmie babies be weaned? Is this based on there birth date or their due date. What did you do?

Bliss guidelines suggest weaning between 5 & 7 months actual. I was too scared to go against these so I started close to 7 months actual. Although she took to food fine and we are lucky she never had any problems with lumps etc I think in hindsight I should have waited until I felt she was ready because a few months after we started weaning you could see her getting excited and wanting the food whereas before she just took it because you were offering it.

A consultant in the hospital told me there is loads of views on weaning but none of them have actually been proven to be the definitive method & time so do what you think is best for your baby.

I began feeding my oldest preemie solids at 6 months old. He's still breastfed though, and is now 16 months.

We were told the two things that go by actual age for preemies are weaning and vaccinations :thumbup: Everything else is counted by adjusted.

We were going for 5 months actual to wean but we actually had to start at 15 weeks due to other medical reasons. But he's healthy and happy and no longer has his check ups at the hospital.

This is interesting, my LO was born at 33weeks. The consultant at the hospital says to use corrected but the HV team are telling me to start in 6weeks at 6months actual. I'm not sure what to do?? I guess we can try a bit at the actual but not push it.

Interesting on vaccinations, my LO had hers at her actual dates, I made them aware she was premie at her vaccination but they said nothing and did it anyway. She was fine though thankfully.

We started about about 6 months actual, well... trying. and successfully started feeding him often at about 6 months corrected (2.5 months difference!)... Our consultant said the other day that starting at 6 motnsh corrected isn't an issue if that's when they want to start :)

Weaning a preemie should be done actual age. We started weaning Alexander at 18 weeks to help with reflux.

I started weaning Jamie at 5 months actual, also to help with reflux and also trying to get control of his incredible feeding demands.
Srrme - blimey are you breast feeding the 2 of them? Well done girl you have some stamina!!
Vaccines are done based on actual age not corrected, and I suppose with feeding because the gut has to be got moving very soon after birth feeding advice is based on actual ages too.

I started weaning Jamie at 5 months actual, also to help with reflux and also trying to get control of his incredible feeding demands.
Srrme - blimey are you breast feeding the 2 of them? Well done girl you have some stamina!!
Vaccines are done based on actual age not corrected, and I suppose with feeding because the gut has to be got moving very soon after birth feeding advice is based on actual ages too.

That I am! :D I've got the hang of it by now! Haha. Nap time, and night time feeds are usually done at the same time. :dohh:

my hospital weans on actual age... nurse said its to try and avoid food aversion? Can't imagine weaning connie that early! we'll see though x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->