weaning premmies

K

KiansMummy

Kian is now 22 weeks ( adjusted age of 17 weeks) i want to start weaning when he is 6 months , but would i go by his real age or adjusted age? What did you all do?

I have never weaned a preemie yet (but I will be in 6-8 months or so I guess!) but for my first son who was born on time I waited until he showed signs of readiness for example sitting unaided, reaching for food or watching us eat and making chewing motions with his mouth when he watched us.

I started him on rice cereal at 5 months and had him on a couple veggies and fruits by 6 months and we just went from there- he sat by himself very early though at 4 months.

Some also say that their babies start waking up more at night when they are getting ready for solids but I am not sure if there is much truth in this.

I imagine with a preemie you should go by doctor`s advice as well so perhaps ask Kian`s doctor what he/she thinks.

Good luck- the world of solids is a fun one!

Gaby's consultant told us to wean at 6 months actual. She wasn't showing any of the signs though, she couldn't sit up, managed finger food and wasn't even 10lb. She took to it really well, she has eaten like a horse from the start and can now manage the smallest of finger foods with ease.

You need to go by actual age, the point being that the iron stores from birth run low. Yoi can get excellent advise on preemie weaning by downloafing the fact sheet from www.bliss.org.uk

Basically start slowly, and you'll be fine. :)

In canada they say to go by corrected age. In our case Dean had no iron store to begin with since he was so early and has been on supplements.

I started somewhere in between because socially he was doing things at his actual age and was very interested in eating, could sit up etc. I figured 2-3wks in any direction can't matter that much and at that time he was still bf'ing every 2hrs so I wan't worried about early weening from the boob or allergies to any great degree.

We were advised 5-7 months actual. I can't imagine having waited til 6 months actual, my boobies couldn't have coped with it:haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->