Weaning Stress

candeur

Reaction score
hi everyone, I've been in the process of weaning seren for a few weeks now, she started on baby rice, and is now on porridge for breakfast and a veg puree for tea time, she's absolutely fine with the porridge, but creates a huge fuss with the veg puree. I've tried so many different combinations as I give her homemade stuff but it's not helping. She allows me to put it in her mouth, but as soon as it's in there she gags and she does this strange cough constantly which eventually leads to her crying until I take her out of her highchair. I don't get it and it's really really stressing me out now, I'm finding myself getting frustrated with her which I really hate. I've been giving her veg for just over 2 weeks, and if anything its just getting worse. Can anyone help? Is this normal?

Babies have a tongue thrust reflex that doesn't normally leave until 6 months +. It could be that the rice & porridge was gliding down without a chance for her to reject it, but the veg is a bit thicker, so this reflex is a bit more apparent. Not sure what to advise I'm afraid, as we're doing baby led weaning, but I do hope someone else can hlp you out!
Sorry hun, not much help there :hugs:

How about mixing some of the veg in with the baby rice ... then gradually using more veg and less rice?

How about mixing some of the veg in with the baby rice ... then gradually using more veg and less rice?

Sounds good.....

Try one veg at a time until she gets used to it and try the more bland veg first like potato, carrot rather than anything strong flavoured.

thanks so much for the advice, i tried it mixed in with her baby rice and she ate it no problems! x

Some babies just react badly to new strong tastes so do bit by bit and more and more so she doesnt notice it! well done Seren!

Glad your sorted hun, i'd try her again with veg in a few weeks time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->