Weed and TTC

BelleNuit

Reaction score
Hey,

I know this is a controversial topic and I'm not looking to be judged. I just need a little hope!

We are trying to conceive our first, and it just hasn't worked so far. 5 cycles of BFNs while timing BD and temping and using OPKs. My husband smokes quite a bit of weed every day. I know it can affect the sperm, although I can't seem to find any studies that actually address how much longer it can take to conceive! He tried to quit a few months ago, but it didn't pan out. I am beyond the point where I want to nag at him about it anymore.

So I just need some encouragement. Anyone else manage to conceive while their husbands were fairly heavy marijuana users?

has he got his guys checked out? Smoking it more than once a week can make them drop off by a third. Maybe if he went and got his guys checked and they came back lacking he may reconsider how much he smokes.

unfortunately most doctors won't see a couple until you have been TTC a year. so you may have another 6 cycles to go before someone will see you. But it's worth a shot to see if he can get his guys tested.

Some guys aren't affected by weed though. My sister's bf has 2 kids with 2 other women and got my sister pregnant. and he smokes it daily. so it could just be a wait and see with you guys.

this thread caught my eye.

:hi: aayla

my dh has been a regular pot smoker since he was 17yrs old (34 now). not too much tho, id say about 2 to 3 small bowls a day. on top of that he dj's 6 nights a week, so he's drinking hard liquor those nights too. n not liquor diluted with juice or something, straight liquor. iv begged him to at least pick one or the other but then he just gets moody at home n i want him to smoke bcuz i just can't stand his attitude!

anyway, i believe it may lower/damage some swimmers but on the other hand we conceived our son together last yr (did take a long time tho) n has a 6 1/2 yr old daughter from a previous girl he was only seeing for a coulpe months. of course that was before we met. so id say if he smokes heavy, maybe try n get him to at least cut back. small bowls r a lot less smoke than joints n obviously blunts.

Thanks Aayla,

We got one of those at home sperm tests that also counts motility and his numbers were really good (in the highest range), but I know those home tests can also mask a lot of problems. I also read that for men who smoke weed the sperm are hypermobile at first but then burn out too soon. So I don't think the home test really answered any of our questions. But it seemed to give DH an ego boost, so hopefully the renewed confidence in himself will help.

Guess we are going to be stuck waiting... And waiting... And waiting...

Thanks for sharing about your sisters bf! That gives me some hope! His lifestyle is really good in all other ways (diet and exercise) so I'm hoping that will balance things out!

Hi!
My husband is a pretty regular smoker, and has a medical marijuana prescription for PTSD.... It was a tricky situation for us to navigate while TTC.... I really wanted him to work as hard as I was working towards improving our chances of conceiving, but--for better or for worse--he really struggles without it! I am pretty pro-legalization, and have smoked occasionally myself, but I still struggle with the fact that he relies on something like this... My husband also did a standard sperm test, and his numbers were in the high range as well, but we struggled to conceive, and will never know what the problem was... Most likely, a mixture of things! I was in my mid 30s when we began to try, and I have a uterine abnormality. I got caught up in the stress/infertility cycle, which didn't help. The good news is, we got pregnant naturally! The bad news is, it took us almost 4 years.... That is 48 cycles of crushing disappointment and heartbreak.... I wish I could go back now and tell myself that it would happen... to just be patient! Most couples will face SOME obstacles to fertility... that doesn't mean it won't happen. It just might take a little longer. My advice is to keep the faith!

but then he just gets moody at home n i want him to smoke bcuz i just can't stand his attitude! .

This, completely. He was SO moody when he cut back I almost couldn't stand it! That's why I'm done nagging him about it

Hi!
My husband is a pretty regular smoker, and has a medical marijuana prescription for PTSD.... It was a tricky situation for us to navigate while TTC.... I really wanted him to work as hard as I was working towards improving our chances of conceiving, but--for better or for worse--he really struggles without it! I am pretty pro-legalization, and have smoked occasionally myself, but I still struggle with the fact that he relies on something like this... My husband also did a standard sperm test, and his numbers were in the high range as well, but we struggled to conceive, and will never know what the problem was... Most likely, a mixture of things! I was in my mid 30s when we began to try, and I have a uterine abnormality. I got caught up in the stress/infertility cycle, which didn't help. The good news is, we got pregnant naturally! The bad news is, it took us almost 4 years.... That is 48 cycles of crushing disappointment and heartbreak.... I wish I could go back now and tell myself that it would happen... to just be patient! Most couples will face SOME obstacles to fertility... that doesn't mean it won't happen. It just might take a little longer. My advice is to keep the faith!

Oh my goodness, 48 cycles... I can't imagine how you were able to keep going! I'm so happy to hear you were able to conceive naturally in the end!

While my husband smokes multiple times a day, he tends to use a vaporizer so he gets a smaller amount each time as opposed to a whole joint. So that's good at least, and we were able to compromise on that.

I do feel frustrated that I feel like I'm doing all the work to TTC, temping, tracking, etc and he isn't interested/able to change some of his habits to help the process.

i hear u on feeling like ur doing all the work. i was just telling dh that the other day! i temp, i pee on things, i take a bunch of pills, i don't get to partake in mind altering things (n trust i would love to numb myself at times), ill have to carry the baby n push that lil human out of my body, while u just have to make sure u get off when its time! least u can do is lay off the green for bit. but no, that was a terrible idea. i packed him a bowl the moment he caught an attitude. not gonna deal.

its took us almost 3yrs of ntnp to fall pg the first time. i gave birth on time to my beautiful son this last nov, but he passed away shortly after due to a trachea defect that was never detected during my ultrasounds :cry: so I'm unbelievably desperate to be pg again. so far no luck. tried soy iso this cycle for the first time with high hopes but so far its delayed O for me by 3 days. very frustrating.

sorry for the rant!

I am so so so sorry to hear about your loss :( that's heart breaking. I don't blame you for wanting to get pregnant again as quickly as possible!!

I totally hear you on the attitude thing. That's how mine was too when he quit for awhile. Not worth the fight.

Hello I wanted to give you a happier ending. My ex smoked weed quite a bit (he's quit now) I'm fairly pro legalise weed so I don't judge even though I personally have never smoked it. I honestly would rather have my man home smoking a little weed on a night than out drinking! Anyway I got pregnant the first time without trying and my daughter took 3 month. And honestly most of his male friends smoke it and all have got children. I wouldn't worry sometimes it just takes a while. Good luck x

Thank you tryingagain, I needed that little bit of hope!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->