Weekly menu plan for a 7 month old?

Discussion in 'Weaning & Nutrition' started by ChuggaBump, Jul 4, 2010.

1. ChuggaBump

ChuggaBump Well-Known Member

I'm still a bit unsure what to be giving LO. Today, he had:

Breakfast: fruity porridge
    Lunch: a piece of wholemeal bread (but not the crusts!) and parsnip+apple (1 ice cube of each)
    Dinner: leek, carrot + potato (3 ice cubes) and a petit filous

Just wondered if anyone could give me a typical weekly menu, so I can see what you feed your LO across the whole week, rather than just on one day. I want to make sure he has a varied diet, and not sure of things such as should he be having petit filous every day or not?

Thanks for any help in advance!!

2. babyblog

babyblog Well-Known Member

Hi, I'm still getting the hang of this weaning malarky and have only just begun giving him proper food (we like to make our own) but a typical week would go something like this:

Brekkie:1 banana + 1 weetabix/baby porridge/rusk/yoghurt

Lunch: sandwhich-one slice of bread with butter plus a filling of either cheese/marmite/philadelphia + a piece of fruit, maybe a kiwi or some strawberries + marmite rice cakes

Dinner:This week my LO has had- red pepper and tomato risotto, chicken casserole, lentil and quorn curry, quorn chicken and spinach pie with potatoes, spinach and cheese risotto, veggie chilli with brown rice + either a yoghurt, cup of ice cream or a piece of fruit.

He is also still drinking 4x 7oz botles each day

Hope that helps x

3. babyblog

babyblog Well-Known Member

ps, my LO generally has 1-2 yoghurts per day and they are either little stars/petite filous/ or just and adult yog we have in fridge

4. OmarsMum

OmarsMum Well-Known Member

Breakfast: porridge or 7 grains cereals or 1/2 weetabix with formula + 1 fruit (mango/banana/sweet mellon/apple/pear)

Lunch (main meal): he has what we have. I cook everydays, & there r always veggies in my cooking

Dinner: Custard or yoghurt with fruits

He might have 1 rice cake as a snack. This is in addtion to 18-21 oz of formula (3-4 bottles)

U can take a look at this thread, it has lots of ideas for daily menus. We post there everyday our daily menus

http://www.babyandbump.com/weaning-nutrition/361977-tw-did-your-lo-eat-today.html

5. ChuggaBump

Thanks. I had seen this thread and it's really helpful, but what I'm after is a weekly plan... I'm just unsure of things like, can I give my LO cheese every day, or should I be giving it to him only a couple of times a week, and things like that!

6. OmarsMum

I make sure he has 1 serving of cereals, 1-2 fruits, 1 veggies+ meat (chicken, fish or red meat), 1 dairy (cheese or yoghurt), & 1-2 servings of carbs (rice, pasta or bread).

I try to make sure he has sth different everyday, as I dont want him to get bored.

Some ideas:

Breakfast: Cereals/porridge/weetabix with fruits

Lunch: Pasta with tomato sauce & meat balls/ baked fish with rice & veggies/ couscous with veal & veggies/boiled chicken with potato & bread or rice

Dinner: Yoghurt/custard/cheese sandwich with fruits

U can switch breakfast with dinner.

Hope this helps.

7. ChuggaBump

thanks, that's really helpful! :hugs:

8. Vix79

Vix79 Well-Known Member

I bought the Annabel Karmel baby and toddler meal planner which gives you an idea of what you can/should be giving at the different weaning stages, obviously you don't have to follow it by the letter! - it also has some nice recipes that you can use for whole family meals once you're past the early stages.

http://www.amazon.co.uk/Annabel-Karmels-Complete-Toddler-Planner/dp/009190031X

My lo is 6.5 months and tends to have cereal/porridge or fruit for brekkie. Lunch and dinner are veggie purees (but will add meat and carbs at 7 months) normally fruit or yoghurt (she loves the little stars) after and odd finger foods, mainly fruit at lunchtime.

9. Laucu

Laucu Well-Known Member

I've been wondering this too - I usually give Emma:

Breakfast: porridge/weetabix and a fruit - either banana, pear, apple, peach, or a combination

Lunch and dinner have been pureed veg, although I am now moving on to lentils, meat and pasta. She will usually have one fromage frais a day (the Plum ones as they don't have added sugar).

I am going to a weaning workshop tomorrow so will report back if I get any useful information!

10. Zeri

Zeri Well-Known Member

Wow! So am I the only one who's not giving their baby meat or starches yet? Mine just hit 7months but I still have on pureed fruits and veggies onlly - like But no meat or fancy dinners yet. I was planning to start at 8 months. Is this wrong?

To answer the OP - my menu goes like this

Breakfast - rice/oatmeal cereal
    Lunch - pureed vegetable (e.g carrots or beans, or sweet potato)
    Dinner - pureed fruit - (prunes, or banana or pears )

11. OmarsMum

U'r doing great. But starting with some lumps is good at this stage, as they need to learn how to chew. They dont need animal protien before 8 mnths anyway, but it's a training thing, to make them get used to new flavors. Mine wasnt keen about purees & hated them all. Once we started introducing real food at 6.5 mnths he started to like food. We started giving him animal protein (meat & yoghurt) at 7 mnths. Omar still doesnt have any teeth, but he chews food with no problems.

12. Zeri

Zeri Well-Known Member

Thanks nmwb78! I will try something with a rougher texture and see how that goes.

13. CharlieP

CharlieP Mum to Charlie

My HV said that you should be working up to having a serving of protein, dairy and carbs in every meal served...so I try to do:

Breakfast - Banana with porridge or weetabix. Or a piece of toast with butter and marmite or cheese spread, and a yoghurt

Lunch - chunks of cheese (I give him cheese every day), about 100g worth, some finger foods, like bread soldiers with cheese spread, or a ham sandwich, some veggie sticks (baby corn, carrots, mange tout etc) or salad sticks (cucumber, toms, peppers), sometimes fishfingers, and then I will give a small portion of puree (like shepherds pie, fish pie, lamb and sweet potato casserole, chicken and sweetcorn mash) and a dessert like yoghurt, fruit pot, rice pudding

Snacks - anything like fruit pots, rice cakes, piece of bread and butter, cheese

Tea - tends to be smaller - we don't faff with fingers foods often in the eves, but he will have shepherds pie etc (as above)... he doesn't tend to have a pudding as he can't manage a big tea and then his bedtime milk.

He has quite a big breakfast (as long as he has 2 hours between that and his first morning milk) and he has quite a bit for lunch as well.

Hope that helps -