Weighed yesterday and got told off!

A

AppleBlossom

I ususally get Grace weighed on a tuesday but had to go yesterday instead so it wasn't my normal midwife (whi is lovely) so the midwife weighed her. 15lb 11oz which is fine and she's following the line on the percentile chart. Then the MW asked if she was good and I said yes apart from sleeping and said she isn't a good night sleeper. The MW asked if she has a dummy and I said yes. I wish I hadn't! I know not everyone approves of giving dummies but it's a mothers choice and all that. So anyway she starts telling me that it was the wrong thing to do and that the minute she turns one to start weaning her off it or I'll never get any sleep. Wtf?? Plenty of mums give their babies dummies and they aren't all nightmare sleepers. Besides which that dummy has become a godsend. She used to scream when we went out anywhere and I hated going out and would just sit in the house all day. Now she tends to just sit and suck on her dummy. Plus it just keeps her quiet in general. I was annoyed at the MW for telling me I'd done wrong by my child :( I'd like to see her live with Grace without a dummy!!

The cheek!!
Carly had a dummy until she was 2 and a half! Mind you from the age of 2 and up she only had it to fall asleep at night as i was slowly weaning her off it.
Carly is a good sleeper and always has been so she is talking crap!
You havent done wrong by your child! Dont listen to her , your doing just right :)

Grace will get there with sleeping some take longer then others , pain in the bum but just keep at it ;)

yeh mw most of them dont even have kids them selfs so i wouldnt take eny notice both my kids ave dummys well th eoldest just at night to help him sleep and summer she as hers for the same reason as you to keep her quiet lol it works xx

People always say babies shouldn't have dummies - but I don't see the problem. I agonised over Oliver having one after what people have said, but now I have decided he can have one, he is like a different baby! He used to suck his fists a lot too, so I think I have saved a future of cracked and sore fists!!!
You just do what is best for you and your baby hun x x

oh my LO is just 2 days older than yours!!

Ted has a dummy too. I hadnt planned on having one but it certainly helps!

That woman needs to review her interpersonal skills!

Jack still has a dummy and he is a fab sleeper, never had a problem! x

What a cheek. You are her mum, its nobodies business but yours if you give her a dummy or not. Sam has a dummy, and is fine with it, just spits it out if he doesn´t want it anymore. Too many people make such a big issue about dummies. The way I see it is, if my boy is happy with a dummy, then I´m happy, s*d what anyone else thinks.

Caitlyn has a dummy. She sleeps really well. What's the problem? More importantly, why should she feel the needs to comment?

YOU know what is best for Grace. You make the decisions, but other people will always want their 2 cents

xxx :hugs:

My boy also has a dummy and is a great sleeper. He is now learning to find his own dummy if he wakes up and put it in his mouth.

I've read that you should try weaning them off the dummy during the day when they are a year old, but wait a bit longer to wean them off it at night.

both of mine have had dummies, neither of them are good sleepers but thats nothing to do with having a dummie. i found it really easy to wean nicole off hers, i mean she was 3 1/2 but i told her it was going to santa and she's never wanted one since.

take no bloody notice of them, she's your child and its up to you what you do with her.

so half of them encourage giving dummys because of SIDS and the other half are set against them?

We were told to give Ally a dummy because apparently he is a 'sucky baby'. He only has it now to go to sleep or if he's upset and I'm in a public place where I need a quick fix!

Ugh, what a pain in the bum that woman sounds.

Dummies are recommended for SIDS, how dare she have a go at you?! I'd complain.

She didn't really have a go at me, like, in a nasty way or anything. But it wasn't the way she said it that annoyed me it's WHAT she said. Mw's just annoy me sometimes because they can't make up their minds what's right and what's not. Like one told me no rusks before 6 months and another said rusks were a good weaning food for when I was starting out which was at 4.5 months. Grr!!

I think these HV's are all confused...my HV used to tell me that they are good to use and prevent cot death and of course the obvious benefits...Daddy gave my LO one but after a week i took it off him...its personal prefrence...and everyone is different xx

I disagree with her completely, you're best off not listening to these people and just doing what you believe is right as none of the midwives/health visitors/doctors agree with each other, let alone you. I don't see a problem with giving/not giving a dummy. Bethanie had one from the start and she is great with it now.. I stopped giving it to her in the day ages ago and she only uses it for nap and bed time now, she also asks to put it "back" when she wakes up.

Do what you think is best:hugs:

I lasted about 2 days before giving in to the dummy and I dont regret it that much lol

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
Serenity123
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->