Weight concerns

SJ_Gouldson

Reaction score
My husband and I want to start trying for a baby in the next few months, ideally around April/May. I'm concerned though because I'm about four stone overweight and I've heard that this can cause a lot of problems with conception and pregnancy. My problem is that I can't exercise because I have a spinal condition (this is how I got so overweight in the first place!) and although I have lost a stone and a half recently, it's painfully slow progress. Can anyone reassure me or offer advice?

Congrats on your weightloss! :D
Yes, being overweight can be a factor in concieving but even some weightloss can have a big impact.
Im overweight, not majorly but i was having irregular cycles and ovulation not very often. Im still a bit overweight now but since loosing a stone and a half my cycles have regulated and im ovulating regularly.

Well I'm still on the pill at the moment so I'm hoping it may be easier to lose weight once I stop taking it - that might just be wishful thinking though! My husband and I have wanted kids for years but now we are actually serious about it I'm scared that it won't happen, and that it'll be my fault because of my weight.

Neurotic, huh? :dohh:

Have you had a prenatal check up with a GYN? I would suggest that. Honey I'm overweight too. I have a friend who is probably around the 360lbs and just gave birth to a healthy baby boy a few months ago...was trying a while though. But it does happen.

Best of luck

I agree with the appointment with you GYN, and see what they say. I read an article in a magazine that if your underweight your at high risk of miscarriage so really you can never be safe but talking to the GYN would put your mind to rest and maybe set some targets or something lol.

And you've done well with your weightloss so far, just keep it up because it might be slow but you certainly are getting results!

Good Luck with your appointments if you make them :).

hiya

I have a neuro condition so I'm pretty much the same as you - I piled on the weight when my limbs decided they didn't like me anymore and I really struggle with my weight

Hey =) I also have a spinal condition, does your condition allow you to do light swimming exercises? This is always what my consultant recommends for me as it is rather gentle on the old spine.

Congratulations on the weight loss you have achieved so far =)

well done on your w/loss, i'm overweight due to PCOS.
i've lost a stone, and going weight watches, doing a Low GI deit which has worked wonders.
go see a GYN, and that will help with targets and goals etc
Good luck

i am overweight and struggling to conceive, about 10 years ago i lost 4 stone and fell for my daughter, so i hoping that now i am losing some weight I will soon have regular periods and ovulate ( i hope) so i feel that weight does have an effect on some people as my friend who around the same size as me fell without even trying

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->