Weight gain in first tri..?

lucylu79

Reaction score
What's our thoughts and experiences ladies?

I was on Slimming World before I fell pregnant so I have a good knowledge base of how to eat on that plan if only I could stick to it!

Morning sickness is kicking my butt at different times during the day, take today for example, I had to eat as soon as I woke at 6am so I had wholegrain muesli (more than what I should on SW but i'm eating to feel well not to lose weight anymore) and now at 10am I've just eaten 2 hot cross buns!!!!

What a naughty girl I am, it got me thinking though, how much weight is expected or normal to gain in the first tri? Up to last week I've already gained 1.5lbs and I will be 11 weeks on sunday.

If willing to share, how far along are you and what have you gained?:flower:

I think between 1-5lb for people of a healthy bmi is normal. I have put on a pound or two and I'm 9+5

Weight gain in pregnancy depends on your starting weight :thumbup:

Depends on your starting weight but I've also heard about 1-5 lbs, I have gained 3 but I'm not sure why, I did feel like I was starving the first week although I didn't go crazy, I'm thinking mine is mostly water weight because my legs and ankles have been swollen.

I gained a huge 4.5st last preg and although I lost it I'm starting off big again (was big first time ended huge) so I'm aiming to stay on slimming world the whole time and gain 10lbs max. Aiming...
I'm 5+2 and so far have lost 1.5lb

Lucy-like the other gals have said, it depends on your bmi, I have a higher bmi so I was told to gain only 15lbs during the whole pregnancy. I was really sick with MS and lost 5lbs before I was 8 weeks. Dr took my weight at 8 week apt and then again at 12 and 20. At 20 weeks I had only gained 1lb from the original 8 weeks. I am now almost 24 weeks and have gained a total of 5lbs. Dr said I was doing good. He told me that in the first tri to eat whatever I could keep down without getting sick, it didn't matter as long as I could keep it down. I hope you feel better soon and I wouldn't worry too much, I do agree 1-5lbs is probably normal. Dr has cut me off of sugar as of yesterday for remaining pregnancy so this should really slow down the weight gain. (He does this to everyone at 24 weeks) He says it increases risk of GD and it will make baby bigger and harder delivery and unsafe. So no more sugar :(

You shouldn't gain any weight in your first trimester regardless of BMI. Mine is 22 and I shouldn't gain anything during the first tri.

blaze that may only be true for you, it is totally normal to gain a small amount in your first trimester.

Thanks ladies, my bmi was 24 at my 8 week appoint, really hope I do only gain 1-5 lbs!

Yes I agree you should gain some weight in the first tri if only water retention.

I think I've gained some already (!!!) due to bloat and bad eating habits. Gonna start again tomorrow being healthy.

I'm holding steady at 5lbs... I believe it's partially water weight.

My goal is 20-25 lbs total (being realistic).

It's weigh in at Slimming World on wed's eve and I had a peep on my sales this morning after the wedding this weekend and a Chinese last night (our last treat before we start being good - Hubby and I)

Scales said 8st 10 which if I weighed that on wed's would mean another 2 on. To be honest I deserve that without being pregnant as I've had a hen do and a wedding in 2 weekends and of corse I've not been drinking but I've certainly eaten instead!

Tried so hard to be good today but mil brought out choccy cake after we'd been for a family swim (so more fun than laps really) and so I've really had more than enough treats for one day!

Currently got a sw cottage pie cooking for tea, going to have at least 1/2 plate of speed food instead of over indulging on carbs!

Also back on track with my water, i'm loving ice water with lime and lemon slices, need it too as i'm not (tmi) as regular as I was. Hubby can't believe I haven't been today after a Chinese last night but if you can't you just can't can you!

Lucy, I was so "backed up" for over a month! I was never reg and for sure, if you can't you can't! ;) You will be fine, I think just get serious in the 2nd tri and 3rd and it will be great!

My bmi is 27 right now. (170 lbs and 5'7"). I'm 10-11 weeks along, and I haven't gained any weight yet. I haven't had ms or a lack of appetite.

I asked my ob-gyn today at my scan, and he said for me, he's looking for me to gain 20 lbs overall, and to put on about half of that in the first 20 weeks, and the other 10 in the second half. He said that until about 20 weeks, the average gain is .5 lb per week, then it picks up to 1 lb/week closer to the end.

Everyone is different though, and one woman might gain right away then hold steady for a few weeks, while some others gain slowly throughout, and some just blow up at the end. The baby's growth is the important part, so all we can do is eat healthy, sleep well, and exercise.

You shouldn't gain any weight in your first trimester regardless of BMI. Mine is 22 and I shouldn't gain anything during the first tri.

My BMI was 19 prior to getting pregnant. At 11 weeks, I've gained 12 lbs.

It depends on your starting weight. I am now at a BMI of 22...

Eating is the only thing that temporarily stops the terrible nausea so I've been eating non stop. I started out with a very healthy BMI of 21 and a size 10. I have already gained 7 pounds at 11 weeks. I'm guessing my BMI is 22.5!! I'll probably end up the size of a house at this rate, but there is no way I could have got through working in 1st tri without the food to help the sickness!

Icklemonster, you won't! My response was to the person who said that no one should gain weight in the first tri...which is not true. I think if you are slim to start, you do gain more. If you are average size, you gain less.

Ickle, I am with you! the only thing that helped the morning sickness was food. Grilled cheese/bagels with cream cheese helped settle my stomach. I think at 11 weeks, 2 days I am finally turning a corner!! Don't worry, I think our weight gain will even out :thumbup:

How much weight did your dr recommend you gain?

I started off very overweight and overall managed to lose 5lbs - without trying (for the first time in my life!)
Sometimes i just dont want food, other times i NEED food and then end up puking it back up. Good job i have plenty of fat stored ;)
You gain what you gain! I think as long as you dont 'eat for 2' we will all be on track :) x

Icklemonster, you won't! My response was to the person who said that no one should gain weight in the first tri...which is not true. I think if you are slim to start, you do gain more. If you are average size, you gain less.

Ickle, I am with you! the only thing that helped the morning sickness was food. Grilled cheese/bagels with cream cheese helped settle my stomach. I think at 11 weeks, 2 days I am finally turning a corner!! Don't worry, I think our weight gain will even out :thumbup:

How much weight did your dr recommend you gain?

Thanks hun. We don't see a doc in the UK, we just see midwives, and she didn't mention anything about weight gain to me at my booking appointment. She measured my weight and marked it in my notes though.

My next appointment is 16 weeks so I guess I'll be weighed again and if I've put on too much they'll say. Hopefully by then this nausea would have gone away so I can stop the constant eating :haha:.

With DD I ended up with such bad heartburn by 20 weeks I got a fear of swallowing food, so on the same note hope that doesn't happen again. I would rather get fat than go through that again :winkwink:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
nirmala kann
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->