weight gain

diz

Reaction score
Noah only put on 1.50z last week and 2.5oz the week before. He's 14 weeks on Thursday and well covered.

I'm not sure if he is getting the right amount of foremilk/hindmilk combo, as my breast don't feel drained when he has finished feeding. He has recently started on Colief as he was full of wind and had green pooh with mucous in it. This seems to have calmed the green pooh out. Also when my OH bottle feed him yesterday he was only taking 3oz per feed.

He usually feeds every 2.5 - 3 hours during the day, then every 3 -4 hours at night. My diet hasn't changed.

Any thoughts..... one HV was slightly concerned and the other not so much.

Is he still having as many dirty and wet nappies as usual? Aisling had very poor weight gain at that stage, she was averaging half an ounce a week but she was totally fine. I got very stressed about her weight gain but she was so happy and active that I knew there was nothing wrong with her.

Maybe just see how he gets on for a while, 2 weeks isn't any cause for concern at all.

Are you taking him to be weighed every week? Might be an idea not to get him weighed so often, maybe just once every 2 or 4 weeks as their gains do tend to average out.

Hi Lu, he's completely fine and has wet/dirty nappys as usual. I had been taking him fortnightly until this happened, then HV asked me to take him every week. I'm please to hear that you were in the same boat..its stopped me worrying - thanks xxx

Hi - I had been stressing about this, also. DD has been a fabulous gainer, and then we've seen it slow down for the last fortnight...4.5 oz, and then maintained.

I've been VERY upset, and as we have our own scales, been over-weighing!

HV said to weigh maximum once a fortnight, and she would only worry if she was significantly dropping under her %.

Maybe worth mentioning to GP, if you are concerned? We are seeing mine later today, as I think DD has a spot of reflux...and I'll mention the weight thing, for second opinion!

my lo is a slow gainer too, as he vomits large amounts due to reflux. its probably to be expected if he has had a dodgy tummy, hopefully it will get better for you now. sorry i cant help with the fore/hind milk question, all i can suggest is feeding from one boob only at each feed and try feeding him for longer to see if your boob eventually empties? what happens when you express? does it empty? does he come off or fall asleep after each feed? if i'm unsure as to whether lo has emptied a boob to get hind milk, i just start on that boob again next time x

Hi lyre, i only feed from one boob per feed and wait until he comes off. He doesn't usually fall asleep on the boob. When i express i can usually get 5oz per breast. x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->