Weight lifters

yes, thats what ive been told but i am just getting my protein from natural sources, ie-food.

I have protein shakes after I've trained. I find it a quick, convenient way to get some protein in. I also have a handful of jelly beans to get some fast carbs :)
If you're in the UK, myprotein is really cheap (especially compared to places like Holland & Barrett).
xx

Well I am up to 40 lbs on legs, 10 lbs on biceps and triceps so far. I started at 25 lbs for legs and 3 lbs for biceps and triceps!

How do you work out what you squat? Daft question I know but today I had 15kg (33lbs) on both ends of the barbell. So is that me squatting 15kgs or the total weight 30kgs (66lbs)?

And, does it matter if I use different weights for each move. Eg today, leg press I used 40lbs, leg extensions, I had it on number 3 (no idea what weight that is!) same for leg curl. Standing calf raise and squats I used 15kgs (33lbs) either side of the bar, and seated calf raise I used 20kg (44lbs).

Then doing biceps and back yesterday I used 45lbs for the lat pull down, 16.5lbs one arm dumbbell row, number 6 for seated cable row, 55lbs for underhand cable pull down, 11lbs for the alternate bicep curl, and 8lbs for the preacher curl and standing bicep curl (my gym doesn't have the machine for a cable curl).

That's great news megan!!!!

Beth- you should be using different weights for most parts. Look at an anatomy photo - large muscles like quads can lift far more than smaller muscles like biceps.

(FYI - you count the bar in your total. So, if you are using a 20kg bar and add 5kg to each side, you are squatting 30kg, not 10kg). Your weights sound correct in proportion - both a lat pulldown and DB rows are lat/back exercises so the weight should be similar. Your biceps should be fatigued already from this (as they use it as a secondary muscle) and it is a smaller muscle in general, so you should be lifting less for that.

Oh okay, is a bar 20kg alone then? So I actually squatted 15kg either side totalling 30kg, plus a 20kg bar so total all together 50kg?!

It depends on the bar - a standard Olympic bar is 20kg but many gyms have 10-15kg bars for people who can't start with 20kg.

I was also wondering that, good to know - thanks aliss (once again!!) I am using 10lbs weights on each side of the barbell for my squats, thinking of upping it to 20 on each side. So that means I would be lifting 50lbs not just 20lbs?

I was also wondering that, good to know - thanks aliss (once again!!) I am using 10lbs weights on each side of the barbell for my squats, thinking of upping it to 20 on each side. So that means I would be lifting 50lbs not just 20lbs?

Check the diameter of each end and it should say the amount of the bar itself (35-45lbs depending on the bar), and then yes, you would be adding it to your overall total. So, Two 10lb plates + a 45lb bar (20kg) would be 65lb squat, not a 20lb squat.

Take credit for it! :rofl:

Ugh I'm getting really annoyed! My legs can squat/lunge more than my shoulders and arms can take! My last post asking what weight I'm squatting was totally wrong, I was only squatting 15kg. Today I used a 25kg barbell (the ready made ones that weigh 25kg in total), but I found it really hard to get onto my shoulders, yet my legs barely felt it! Then when I went onto lunges some lad at the gym said it might be easier to use the smith machine with a 20kg Olympic bar. It was easier because I didn't have to lift it over my head, but my shoulders still felt like they were going to collapse yet my legs could have easily done more! Hmmmmm!

Oh, and it was so embarrassing, I bumped into my ex at the gym!

I think thats the same for most people, Beth. It's coz your legs are such big muscles compared to your shoulders.
I use a squat rack for squatting, so I don't have to lift the bar onto my shoulders. There's no way I could get the weight I squat over my head. Some gyms don't have a squat rack, so you can use the Smith, like the guy said.
Keep it up, girl! You're doing great xx

You should never be able to do more upper body than lower body. Look at the size of your quads compared to your biceps. I can only press 70lbs but I can deadlift 200lbs. That's 100% normal. In fact being able to do similar weights is a sign of obvious improper training.

You might find this useful
https://www.exrx.net/Testing/WeightLifting/StrengthStandards.html

Instead of trying to lift it over your head, you should clean the bar and do a 'front squat' where you hold it on your front/traps/arms. If you can overhead lift a bar to put on your shoulders then it's too light to bother squatting with.

Exactly as aliss said, your shoulders/arms are much more smaller than your quads (legs). That is completely normal. :) Keep on goin!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
queenmom14
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->