Weight loss during pregnancy?

Tristansmom

TTC #3
Reaction score
Hi all,

I'll be having this chat with my doc once I get in to see him (probably not till late January or early February), but thought I'd see if anyone here has any experience like this...

I am about 50 lbs or so overweight, currently weigh more than I did the day before I delivered my son 5 and a half years ago. I'm very worried that my excess weight will lead to complications - I know it carries increased risk of gestational diabetes, for example, as well as other issues. I would love to lose 10 or so lbs during my first trimester and try to hold steady (not gain) during my second. My intention is to accomplish this through better eating (I'm an admitted fast food addict, owing largely to working full-time within walking distance of all my fave FF restaurants) as well as light cardio (planning to walk minimum of 30 minutes per day during my lunch, nothing crazy). Has anyone else had a positive experience losing weight during early pregnancy?

(Little more about me - I have zip for symptoms and am not particularly expecting any as I did not my previous pregnancy; prior to my first son I was very active and led an extremely healthy lifestyle, but suffered severe depression for a year or so following his birth and put on nearly 100 lbs. Lost almost all of that but regained 30 or so in the last six months, owing to stress and a complete lack of willpower.)

I would recommend eating healthy but not trying to loose weight. I am not a doctor so this is just my opinion and def talk to your dr before you do anything. I have lost about 8lbs but it has been due to MS. I would try to stay away from FF, as I know myself this is hard cause I like it too. Good luck and I would say as long as you are eating healthy everything will be ok.

I don't have a weight loss story exactly but I'm heavy and I usually drop 15 or so pounds naturally due to Ms etc. If it helps I've had 5 successful deliveries so far all with my heavy weight. No complications or gd. Not advocating to be fat just giving u another perspective. It's never been an issue for me. I would not purposely try to lose weight while pregnant though as above poster mentioned. Congratulations!

I've been following sw but fell off wagon. Just got my bfp due about the same time :)
My sw consultant said you can follow the plan with mw approval you get extra allowances

I'm hoping to maintain my weight if possible as like you I weigh what I weighed at term with my first!

...what's sw if you don't mind me asking? Sounds intriguing...!

I wouldn't purposely try to lose weight. I think you should try to maintain if anything. If you've been eating FF for a long time, you will be amazed when you stop eating it how fast you would lose weight (if not pregnant!) good luck.

I was around 16 1/2 stone when I fell pregnant with my daughter. When I found out I was expecting I just watched what I ate. Changed a lot of things for fruit and crackers due to terrible morning sickness. I lost about a stone and a half whilst pregnant though slight diet change and swimming. My doctor was happy with that as I was an unhealthy weight to begin with. Xxxx

With DD I was 5 pounds heavier than I am now (overweight). I gained 53 pounds with her and it took me until just recently to get under my prepregnancy weight (still overweight). I want to say I didn't eat a ton, but obviously I had to of if I gained 53 pounds and only 6 pounds of that was baby...

Anyway, I'm trying to do things a little differently this time. Last time I gained 10 pounds in a few weeks, especially once nausea set in. For some reason I had this thought that I had to eat to get rid of it, and after a couple of weeks, I realized doing that was useless.

I'm probably going to track calories because I don't want to gain 53 pounds again, but I'm going to ask my midwife what range I should aim for. I already know the types of foods I should be eating, but I want to know a safe calorie range. It's easy for me to lose control (I know how awful that sounds), but I want to work with her a little more on my eating habits.

I would talk to your doctor before actively trying to lose while pregnant. A friend of mine was overweight when she got pregnant. She didn't try to lose weight, but just simply walking every day and eating healthier, she actually maintained (or maybe even lost a little?). But I would definitely talk with your doctor first just to be safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->