Welcome Rebecca Ruth - long sorry! :) photos pg 4

Lizziepots

Mother of 1 beauty!
Reaction score
OK, feel totally up to posting my brth story. Will do as brief a version as I can and will have to upload photos at a later date when we get the camera back that has them loaded.

Well, after visiting assesment centre last Sunday, 10th because I hadn't felt LO move, my induction was brought forward from the Thursday to the Monday. I was overjoyed as it meant my DH didn't have to go back down to London and there would be no "will I won't I go into labour before then" rigmarole.

So, Monday evening we went to hospital at 9pm and after some monitoring the first dose of 2mg Prostin gel was inserted at 11pm. Pete had to go home at midnight and I had a restless night but not due to anything but my Rheumatoid Arthriti playing up. I had to ask for paracetamol for swollen shoulder, hip and wrists so I could sleep a little...didn't work.

Tuesday morning was monitored and given 2 paracetamol for the period pains I was having. At 1pm the second dose of Prostin gel was inserted. By the evening I was having regular "contractions" and had the inlaws as visitors which wasn't really helping matters. The pains were taking my breath away and so I was given some codeine to go with my paracetamol.
At 8.30pm I was examined and told I was 1cm dilated and there were no real changes. The m/w at assesment centre on the Sunday had already said I was 1-2cm so I was a bit confused as to how I was going backwards! Also, I was told thee contractions were actually just Prostin pains so I felt like an absolute failure! Needed more codeine and paracetamol through the night and at 10am on Wednesday morning was examined by a registrar and was told was 2cm and would be taken to labour ward to have waters broken that morning. Well, labour ward was v busy so after waiting all day, Pete was sent home at 10pm and I was told to get to bed and get some rest. Around midnight I asked for more paracetamol as couldn't lie down due to stomach cramping and the m/w said it was just Prosin pains still and that I only had one more dose of paracetamol to take before 8am and to save it for later. Around 12.30 I took a walk towards nurses station to ask for the paracetamol as pain seemed unbearable.....I was still feeling like a fool too as these were only Prostin pains and not even labour! On way, had to stop for major contraction and a midwife caught me and said she'd examine me as she thought maybe things were happening at last. When she did, she said I was 5cm and that meant I could go up to labour ward and to phone Pete to come in. This was 2.15am. Five minutes before him arriving at 3am, my waters broke of their own accord...joy! :)

By 3.15am Thursday morning I was on labour ward being shown how to use gas and air. I was told I was only 4cm - (again I'd gone backwards!)and that I needed more pain relief and given a dose of Pethidine at 5.45am and then told they needed to insert a cannula. I couldn't understand why and they said for the drip to increasecontractions and said they'd told me about it...again felt very stupid..DH now tells me they never did say anything about this..so no wonder I was surprised!
By 7am I asked for an epidural. This was all arranged but then the anaesthetist was called to theatre and they said I'd made it to 9cm without and said I could do it...so I agreed to forego the epi.

9am - was talking absolute gibberish apparently and falling asleep on my birthing ball....I hadn't truly slept since the Monday. The Synthitocin drip which had been stopped before was started again at 10am and at 10.30 I asked for a couple of paracetamol...think it had become routine by then! lol Do not really know how I thought they would help!
The end stages are very vague as I panicked a little...I think the lack of sleep and all the times I'd been told one thing, only to then be told another had taken their toll.
We do know that at 12.30 I was fully dilated but refused to push until 1.50 I was on the toilet doing my proper pushing. At 2.48 I delivered my lovely little girl on the bed.

There are so many precise details as my DH made a note of a lot of things. I've felt the need to type it out in detail to get it off my chest once and for all. Hope it hasn't bored at all. I also wanted to get the message across...do not be fobbed off with the old Prostin pains and paracetamol thing...they hurt way more than real contractions!

It was a great experience..there were some real laughs during labour. My DH, who is a fool, admitted as her head was crowning that the batteries in the camera were dead! Then inlaws and my mum turned up literally 5 mins after delivery with a camera...they didn't realise I'd had her! My DH was great throughout and I couldn't have done it had he not been there and our midwife, Becky was the best! :)

Oh, and the shock of having a girl...that was great! We have only just chosen the name today as we were so sure it was a boy.

Rebecca Ruth Potter was born 14.48 on 14.08.08. Weighed in at 7lb 9oz (344g) and 20.5" long (52cm). She is a little princess and as soon as we track down that camera there will be photos galore to show you all.

Sorry so long! :blush:

Congratulations!!
May I be the first Bnber to welcolme your little princess to the world!!

:hug:

xx

congrats! well done for foregoing the epi!!! you are a stronger woman than i! that drip was evil

Congrats hun thanks for sharing your labour story.xxx

Congrats and well done. Looks like I got away lightly with just one dose of prostin!!

congratulations hun, you did fab in what sounds like a really long labour! Cant wait to see pics of your princess

xxx

Been away for a few days and was really hoping to read your story when I got back.

CONGRATS honey - sounds really familiar but my God honey what a long time - you deserve a medal!

Ah the pethedine - it gave us some giggles too!

Can't wait to see the pics of your little princess:cloud9::cloud9:

xx xx xx xx

Congrats to u and welcome to the world to rebecca - can't wait to see some pics of your angel x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->