Well we've started and completely confused!!

helent1983

Reaction score
We have started to give Archie solids (day 3) and I am completely petrified! I am the complete opposite to people who wean early!! I would leave it to a year if I could!!! :dohh: I just don't know whether I am giving him the right foods, enough of it and enough milk.

He has taken to eating solids like a duck to water he loves everything I give him.

Today he had:-

7am- BF
9am - porridge
then nothing till .....
3pm!! - BF
5pm - Jar of penne and tomatoe and corguette or something
7pm - BF

Is this ok? Am I feeding him too much (solids) too soon and not enough milk. like I said he loves the food - he grunts and kicks his legs for more but from reading articles shouldn't he only be having a couple of teaspoons at first?

Finally I am a bit scared about preparing my own foods (not very good at feeding myself properly so god knows what I would be like with a baby!!) are jars ok to feed or are they a big no no?

How the hell do you all know what you are doing? Please help me by letting me know what you all do.

Thank you in advance

xx

P.S sorry about the spelling mistakes! x

Hi Helen, can't really give advice with the purees as we follow baby led weaning but I think with whatever weaning route you're taking that you should continue to bf on demand. He can't overdo his milk :) That's where he'll be getting most of his nutrition from for a long time.

I wouldn't say jars are a big nono, but possibly not great for all his meals? Personally I would try and make things myself when possible if you are going to use jars. Some things are so easy, like mushing up an avacado (good fat) or putting a sweet potato in the microwave and then scooping out the flesh. Butternut squash can be bunged in the over for an hour and then cut up and mushed too. Then gradually maybe you'll get more confidant in making things yourself, plus might help you feed yourself better too ;)

Good luck, glad to hear he likes his food!

Hi Helen, can't really give advice with the purees as we follow baby led weaning but I think with whatever weaning route you're taking that you should continue to bf on demand. He can't overdo his milk :) That's where he'll be getting most of his nutrition from for a long time.

I wouldn't say jars are a big nono, but possibly not great for all his meals? Personally I would try and make things myself when possible if you are going to use jars. Some things are so easy, like mushing up an avacado (good fat) or putting a sweet potato in the microwave and then scooping out the flesh. Butternut squash can be bunged in the over for an hour and then cut up and mushed too. Then gradually maybe you'll get more confidant in making things yourself, plus might help you feed yourself better too ;)

Good luck, glad to hear he likes his food!

Wow how good are you! Never would have thought of avacado and sweet potato!! Thanks for those ideas!! xx

If you're going to go down the puree route and would like to do some of your own things, I'd recommend the Anabel Karmel book, it's got some great recipes in there and it'll give you some ideas, especially about the types of vegetables babies like early on. There's nothing wrong with jars, there's strict controls over what can go in them and some will say they're fresher than if you had the fruit and veg sitting around the house for days before using them. Having said that, I wouldn't eat all my meals from a jar!

How come theres nothing between 9am and 3pm? At this stage Aisling would have had a bf at about 11am so just wondering why the gap?

Just a little tip that may help. I started off giving a late lunch as the 1st solid food of the day as I found that she wasn't starving hungry (as they may be at breakie) and she also wasn't full up on breastmilk either. Once she got the hang of that I also introduced breakfast and then eventually tea. I'd definately recommend the Annabel Karmel books too if your not BLW. It'll give you loads of advice and also make sure that you provide a good wide range of food and nutrients. Have fun! x

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->