What age...

Kiki09

Mummy to a miracle
Reaction score
Hi, I know that My lo was only 4 weeks early, He was little at 4lb 14oz but well in himself. I am never sure what to say when people ask me how old he is, he is still not a big baby and does not look like the 8lb 4oz he is at all! Lol

When you are asked how old your lo is, do you give the preemie age or the adjusted age?

I used to give both, mainly because she was so small. But it is entirely up to yourself. Often the corrected age stops people asking stupid questions or saying stupid things.

I say his actual age but then tell people he was early cos he still looks tiny.

I say 'she's 5 n half months' then they usually say 'no she can't be she's so small' so then I say she was prem and only 1lb 8oz when born and only 9lb now.

I used to say both, but now I just say corrected age if it is a stranger asking. :)

If its a stranger or i cant be arsed, i used to say corrected. It got really annoying explaining!

My son was born at 35+6 (so 4 weeks early as well) but I always gave his actual age. I felt weird adjusting his age when people I knew that gave birth a week later were considered full term.
The docs adjust it until he is 2 though! x

I used to give either the corrected age or their actual age with an explanation.

However, I never really felt entirely comfortable doing either, so now I just tell everyone their actual age, with no explanation unless questioned.

The way I see it, is that I am incredibly proud of my boys and all they have achieved so far. They have overcome many more hurdles then most babies their age and I kind of feel that by giving their corrected age or by feeling the need to explain things like why they are small or why they can't crawl yet is kind of belitteling all the things they can do.

Besides if strangers think they are abit small or behind in their development then that is their problem. They are my boys and I think they are perfect.

I tell them actual age. Too many questions occur otherwise. Unless they mention that he's tiny then I explain he was born early.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
oneandonly
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->