What am I entitled to? If anything?

laceyrainbow

Reaction score
I'm 19, in full time education and obviously, pregnant.

My job center told me I'd be entitled to Income Support but when I've called up and done an eligibility check over the phone, it says I'm entitled to nothing.

It's the biggest catch 22 ever, I'm in education and now 100x more motivated to create a future for us both but it's like, because I'm not looking for work I can't claim anything. And as great as my course is.. I can't clothe or feed my child with pieces of coursework. But I know if I leave, I'm setting myself so far back.

I have savings from my last job but not enough.

It's really making me doubt myself :nope:

If you don't mind me asking, were any of you able to claim anything during your pregnancy?

Or... do I just have to get on with it and find some way to make this work?

Thank you xx

if anything (and i don't know much about benefits so someone please correct if wrong) your only allowed to claim income support from the 28/29th week of pregnancy. so if you are before that then at this moment in time you won't be entitled to anything

Talk to your colleage about hardship funds and see what they have available.

You could also take on part time work as well as doing college. I had to do that to cover my costs whilst studying.

I don't know for sure but once your baby is actually here you should be able to get child tax credit :)

I went back to college when I was 21, I wasn't pregnant but I couldn't claim anything and had to get a part time evening job in a call centre. I ended up leaving the job as it was too much for me and I was allowed to claim job seekers allowance but I was told if I was offered a job id have to take it and leave college. Luckily I left college and managed to get a job a couple of weeks later. Try speaking to citizens advice and see what they say. Hope you manage to sort things out.

Once you are 29 weeks pregnant you can apply for income support then after you can claim it as lone parent and you will then I also be entitled to child tax credit and child benefit also look into sure start maternity grant you can apply once you are receiving income support and it's a one off payment of 500 for your first child x

I think whilst at college you are better off speaking to the college about money etc

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->