What am I NOT allowed to eat?

Mississippi03

Mom to 1
Reaction score
I see very mixed info online as to what I can eat/ cant eat. Any myths? New info? Help me out lol

Unpasteurised cheese... A lot of soft cheeses are unpasteurised (but check the labels because times are changing lol) but you can eat it if it's cooked/steaming.
Sushi
Be careful with some seafood
Make sure you cook meat well done
Apparently we need to avoid hibiscus, which is in a lot of floral teas
Raw eggs- so home made mayo, home made ice cream, chocolate mousse etc
Excessive caffeine- but some is okay :)
Hmm I can't think of anything else right now :shrug: probably baby brain :haha:

Oh! Deli meat!! How could I forget? I really want a ham sammich!! Lol

Here is an easy chart I just looked up that could help:
https://www.foodauthority.nsw.gov.a...d-food/pregnancy/pregnancy-table#.VMmJdLIayK2

The only things really to avoid are unpasteurized stuff (or irradiated depending on location) and deep sea predator fish. And alcohol depending on your feeling on that.

There are very low risks with things like deli meat, fresh veggies and fruits and all kinds of other things that can have bad bacteria. I eat at Subway in China at least once a week (always toast my sandwich) and eat fresh fruits and veggies all the time. My dr really only stressed the deep sea fish.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

This is the UK nhs recommendations.

https://www.nhs.uk/conditions/pregnancy-and-baby/pages/foods-to-avoid-pregnant.aspx

This is the UK nhs recommendations.

Yeah that's the list I looked at. Luckily for me I am not a fan of most of those things anyway lol. A few of the recommendations have changed since I last did this 9 years ago! :wacko:

Midwife told me. Raw eggs, raw fish and paté

Most soft cheeses
Lunchmeat (unless you cook it to steaming first)
Raw Fish
No Rare/Med Rare steaks/meats. Cook them all the way through.
No more than 220mg of caffeine a day.
No aspirin or ibuprofen - only Acetaminphen.
Cook eggs all the way through
Certain kinds of fish - like swordfish. You can have small small amounts of Tuna. You can eat Salmon more than Tuna but still not every night of the week.

I've eaten crab legs, shrimp and Salmon during this pregnancy and so far everythign is fine. I rarely eat lunch meat - usually in my sandwiches.

Certain herbs in teas - though it's still debateable.

Lunch/deli meat is a funny one, USA says no way, UK says totally fine!
Alcohol and drugs (Inc. Prescription) are the only really risky things, other things are a slightly higher risk but let's face it who was the last person you know who got Listeria??!!

I didn't even know about it until the first time I got pregnant back in 2011 lol. I still nuke it though - tastes better anyways.

I know deli meat they told mw had to be heated.. so if i go to subway i have to toast it.

I made the switch to acetaminophen.. and only ever drink one cup of green tea a day and thats only happening like twice a week as is.

Im already a steak well done girl..

My question with seafood would be lobster and crab? Are they okay? I don't eat anything else really.

Remember every culture is different. I am in China and they freak out if you have ice, wear heels, eat crab or certain veggies (they are 'cold' foods) and all kinds of other things. But herbal teas are remedies for everything and all kinds of fish are eat enough daily, along with pigs feet that are good for babies brain and red stuff that is good for babies blood, etc.

Just eat at reputable places and practice food safety and moderation and you should be fine.

I know deli meat they told mw had to be heated.. so if i go to subway i have to toast it.

I made the switch to acetaminophen.. and only ever drink one cup of green tea a day and thats only happening like twice a week as is.

Im already a steak well done girl..

My question with seafood would be lobster and crab? Are they okay? I don't eat anything else really.

I've eaten crab and shrimp and haven't had anything bad happen. I think if you do it in moderation it should be fine. But if you want to be 100% sure ask your doctor.

Remember every culture is different. I am in China and they freak out if you have ice, wear heels, eat crab or certain veggies (they are 'cold' foods) and all kinds of other things. But herbal teas are remedies for everything and all kinds of fish are eat enough daily, along with pigs feet that are good for babies brain and red stuff that is good for babies blood, etc.

Just eat at reputable places and practice food safety and moderation and you should be fine.

Oh that is cool that you're in China!!! I bet you're going to have some AMAZINGLY beautiful maternity pictures done. I know here in Turkey the local nationals don't drink ice at all because they believe it will give them a sore throat.

Like spicyorange says, the main risk is things like listeria and salmonella - but in my 35 years of eating raw/runny eggs, mayo, prawns etc I've never had either...so it's a tiny tiny risk. It don't eat cheese, pate or a lot of meat really - but again the risk is teeny tiny.

Oh that is cool that you're in China!!! I bet you're going to have some AMAZINGLY beautiful maternity pictures done. I know here in Turkey the local nationals don't drink ice at all because they believe it will give them a sore throat.[/QUOTE]

My husband is an amateur/hobby photographer and we are going to be in Thailand and Bali at 32/33 weeks. I love being a subject for him, so I'm sure we will get some great ones there :) and we are headed to Beijing for Valentine's Day. I just wish he were home (Iowa) with me on this business trip so we could get a few with my horse too.

Isn't so interesting what different cultures believe?

People tell me nuts are bad but I've checked and its a myth. I didn't know I was pregnant until 10 weeks so had probably eaten most things I shouldn't have (runny eggs, soft cheese, unpasteurised cheese, alcohol) but since finding out I've obviously stopped.

I was told a lot of the same. No raw eggs (didn't know runny was a no-no, i ate that), no deli meat, watch it on sugars and avoid white bread (non white makes me gag atm so I eat the white ugh), max of 12 oz caffeine, no alcohol no unpasteurized dairies, don't eat fish known to have high mercury but 12oz a week of salmon or other seafood is ok (I eat shrimp too). Thats all I remember. This thread is interesting seeing the difference from one doctor to another and from country to country. If you follow the best practices that you were informed of you should be ok.

Oh that is cool that you're in China!!! I bet you're going to have some AMAZINGLY beautiful maternity pictures done. I know here in Turkey the local nationals don't drink ice at all because they believe it will give them a sore throat.

My husband is an amateur/hobby photographer and we are going to be in Thailand and Bali at 32/33 weeks. I love being a subject for him, so I'm sure we will get some great ones there :) and we are headed to Beijing for Valentine's Day. I just wish he were home (Iowa) with me on this business trip so we could get a few with my horse too.

Isn't so interesting what different cultures believe?[/QUOTE]

It is amazing!!! One thing I'm noticing, and hating, is how much people in the US hate all Muslims when they have it mostly wrong. If I hadn't lived here I can honestly say I wouldn't understand what they are really like.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->