• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

What are the benefits of breastfeeding beyond 12 - 13 months

MaisyMay

Oakley's Mummy & 1baking!
Reaction score
Hi ladies,
I'm planning to bfeed my son until he is 12 - 13 months (about a month after he's had his mmr) because jabs were so hard for him and he wanted the boob as comfort so much when he had the last set. I also just wanted to give him the benefit of b milk until he's ready to go on to cows milk. Although I'll be so sad to stop :cry: I think I also want to stop when he's around that age so that we'll be able to ttc #2 (I haven't had af or any signs of fertility whilst bfeeding) but I am wondering other than my passive immunity, what are the other benefits of continuing to bfeed past this age?

I think after a year it becomes much more of a comfort thing... and comfort is a GOOD thing!! Helps baby sleep, helps baby get over bumps, helps baby chill out and maintains that snuggley bond between mummy and baby.

As for the breast milk itself: https://kellymom.com/ages/older-infant/ebf-benefits/ Contains a lot of information.

One really good, purely selfish mommy reason for me is that I read so much about picky toddler eating and about other moms wondering whether their children are getting enough nutrition from their solids when they have days of eating very little. I really like the peace of mind that comes from knowing that my child has had a good amount of really nutritious calories each day by breastfeeding.
I wouldn't make any plans to give up if it's just because AF hasn't visited you yet. Mine just showed her face recently and at 10 mo it felt like it might never happen because we were thinking about TTC, too. So it might end up being a non-issue by 12-13mo. If you're going to hold out for the MMR, you may want to consider holding out for the 1 yr molars for the same comfort reason, depending on how your lo responds to teething pain, unless you really have strong feelings about your ideal child spacing.
:flower: Lots of things to consider. Good job bf to a year, and I hope you can find a decision you're all happy with.

Exactly the same as BEFORE 12/13 months. Except a lot of the emotional development they struggle with can be eased with BF and the comfort is a HUGE reason for us to continue as she discovers this big scary world. Its the one sure thing that makes her feel home, safe and secure. :flower:

Thank you! You've all given me a lot to think about :) x

I didn't really breastfeed for the benefits if I'm honest,I just wanted to.After 12/13 months I thought it would be too traumatic to force my baby to stop bf when they didn't want to,so I just carried on.
For me the benefits are that its what they know and brings them comfort and at such a time when they are becoming quite fiercly independant it can be nice to have that time at the end of a busy day too.

I got AF back at 13 months, so as the other ladies have said, that could be a non-issue by the time you get there!

At nearly 15 months DD still likes her bedtime and morning BFs. She gets comfort from it at bedtime, a good deal of nutrition and antibodies, long term protection from certain illnesses - and I get a guarenteed cuddle twice a day ;)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

No members online now.

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->