What are the most influential and though-provoking books you've read, and why?

MonstHer

Reaction score
yes, well the question is in the title.

Mine are Upton Sinclair's the Jungle. It's just written well, gave me a new scope on writing, and character development.
Ken Follet's Pillars of the Earth. I read this at age 9, I probably shouldn't have, but it sort of shaped who I am today. (read several times over)
Myra Hornbacher's Wasted (only because I read it at such a young age and shouldn't have, don't read if you have an eating disorder or have lower self-esteem. My sister got a hold of it sadly. :( )
Roots by Alex Haley.... I couldn't tell you why, other then it makes you think.
I've read the book atleast 3 times.
1984, by George Orwell. AMAZING.
Robinson Crusoe- by Daniel Defoe. Not because I particulary liked it, haha, but it helped me to learn about the reason's of European and American expansion, and the thought process behind it.
There's many many many more but I'll leave it at that for now.

Fun question!
Hmmm. Let's see....
I was really affected by the following:
The Life of Pi by Yann Martel - absolutely beautiful novel that has tremendous food for thought on religion, truth, story, and many other Grand Ideas - all in a can't put it down sort of plot.
Sophie's Choice by William Styron. Broke my heart in so many ways.
The Alexandria Quartet by Lawrence Durrell.
The Salterton Trilogy by Robertson Davies (actually all three of his major trilogies) These last were rich in myth and imagery at a time when I was beginning to develop an awareness of that myself. They helped deepen my appreciation of art in general.
Anais Nin's diaries - I will always think of her when I write in a cafe! :)

Oh, there are so many more. Too many to list! :)

I've read Sophie's choice, I liked it a lot.
I'm not a fan of most of William Styron's other books, especially The confessions of Nat Turner. He omitted so much from the guy's life, it could have been brilliant!
but I digress...:haha:
Chris Polini's Eragon Trilogy was really inspiring too. A great epic story to come out of a 14 year old kid!
Also, The Gnome series, by Will Huygen. They are children's books but they were so important to me when I was a small child.

Kiddy lit was hugely influential!
Moomintroll series by Tove Jansson.
Pippi Longstocking and anything else by Astrid Lindgren.
The Once and Future King by TH White
So so so many beloved books!

I have not read anything else by William Styron. I needed something completely different after Sophie's Choice, and I didn't get back to his other work.

From a spiritual point of view,

Finding Your Own North Star has been amazing for me. It had helped me unlearn all my old self-defeating attitudes and I am my real self. Also anything by Wayne Dyer, I totally relate to that kind of thing.

The book though that left me literally buzzing, as in whilst I read it, my whole self seemed to come alive was Shake Hands With the Devil by Romeo Dallaire. He headed the UN mission during the genocide in Rwanda, and it has really helped me get my focus right on what my life purpose is. He is such an amazing individual. It is a tale of such immeasurable courage. There was this one scene where an explosion went off in the background, and someone took a photo at that exact moment, and everyone he was with ducked for cover, but he stood stock still, erect, showing that he was unmoved by the whole explosion- thats so indicative of the level of courage. Plus I like his no-nonsense attitude.

Also very cliche, I liked the Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. I also read the Valkyries by him and it was good.

Oooh love this thread.
Okay,
I have been really affected/influenced by the following.

- The Horse Whisperer - Nicholas Evans
- A Thousand Splendid Suns/The Kite Runner - Khaled Hosseini
- The Reader - Bernard Schlink
- The Boy In The Striped Pjamas - John Boyne
- The Five People You Meet In Heaven - Mitch Alborn
- The Lovely Bones & Lucky - Alice Seabold
- The Valley of The Dolls - Jacqueline Susan
- Hamlet - William Shakespeare
- Rebecca - Daphne Du Maurier
- The Time Travellers Wife - Audrey Niffenegger

& finally, don't laugh, Marley and Me. Love it.

Ishmael - By Daniel Quinn (There was a movie based on the book which was called Instinct but it was total crap and didn't follow the book at all). The book really makes you think about human nature and how humanity treats others)

Sanctuary - Deborah Carr - written by my step-mother. Written about her friend who is a naturalist in New Brunswick. The story is amazing and shows how strong a women she is and how someone can make a difference even in the most difficult situations.

The Shack.... cant remember the authour but it was amazing.... whether you're religious or no its really food for thought.

My sisters keeper by jodi picoult was an interesting on, the boy with the striped pjammas and anne franks diary oh and wild swans which was about 3 different generations of chinese women , i read it at high school

Im usually inspired by anything I read the most recent was Safe Haven by Nick Sparks I cried while reading the book. It has opened my eyes to the suffering that those like the protag go through. It is so astounding. It has made me want to volunteer in that area.

That made me think of another really fantastic, thought-provoking read: Barbara Kingsolver's Poisonwood Bible. :thumbup:

From a spiritual point of view,

Finding Your Own North Star has been amazing for me. It had helped me unlearn all my old self-defeating attitudes and I am my real self. Also anything by Wayne Dyer, I totally relate to that kind of thing.

The book though that left me literally buzzing, as in whilst I read it, my whole self seemed to come alive was Shake Hands With the Devil by Romeo Dallaire. He headed the UN mission during the genocide in Rwanda, and it has really helped me get my focus right on what my life purpose is. He is such an amazing individual. It is a tale of such immeasurable courage. There was this one scene where an explosion went off in the background, and someone took a photo at that exact moment, and everyone he was with ducked for cover, but he stood stock still, erect, showing that he was unmoved by the whole explosion- thats so indicative of the level of courage. Plus I like his no-nonsense attitude.

Also very cliche, I liked the Alchemist by Paulo Coehlo. I also read the Valkyries by him and it was good.

I know this post is old, but had to add - Romeo Dallaire is now quite a hero in Canada. He went through so much and had such integrity. He is quite a beloved figure now and deservedly so.

I thought it was good. It was my first book by him. Ive seen the Notebook but didnt read it. Many of the reviewers said it was cliched but it worked for me! If you read hope you enjoy it!

I thought it was good. It was my first book by him. Ive seen the Notebook but didnt read it. Many of the reviewers said it was cliched but it worked for me! If you read hope you enjoy it!

Cheers! :)

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mommyfaithh
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->