What Are You Doing With The Placenta???

Basically you are banking the stem cells from the cord - it's not as popular here in the UK and it's very expensive.

https://kidshealth.org/parent/_cancer_center/treatment/cord_blood.html

Wow, that's really interesting. I obviously don't have anywhere near enough money to bank my baby's cord, and I'm not sure if there are any "commercial cord blood-banks" in the UK at all... But I really think it's great :mrgreen:

Not sure if I'm allowed to post in here since I'm not pregnant (as far as I know :haha:), But when I give birth in the future, I plan on eating mine!

I heard someone say once that it tastes a little like liver, so I'd probably cook it in the same way I do liver.. With oxtail soup and peas! Yummy Yummy. Can't wait! Haha!

I'll probably bank the umbilical cord as well, in case LO needed it for the future. :thumbup:

YAY! Another eater ;) :p Also, I feel a little stupid, but what do you mean by "banking" the umbilical cord?

Yay for Eaters! :happydance:

Wow, that's really interesting. I obviously don't have anywhere near enough money to bank my baby's cord, and I'm not sure if there are any "commercial cord blood-banks" in the UK at all... But I really think it's great :mrgreen:

I thought it was great once too but then I looked into it and realized in order to properly bank it they would need to clamp the cord earlier than they normally would. So instead of waiting for it to stop pulsing they would cut it as soon as they could. I didn't like this side of it because I thought I'd much rather have her get the most out of the blood she needs now than save it for a time she may never need it.

I plan on planting my placenta with a tree or bush on top so we can watch it grow. That's what my dad did for my sibs and I when we were born. Of course, we don't live in those places anymore, but it's nice to think that "our tree" is still there.

I plan on having my mom making the placenta pills/encapsulate it for me. I can't do it myself because my hubby and I rent from friends and since I've heard the process stinks up the house I can't do it there. If I end up hemorrhaging I will probably eat some of it but honestly don't think I could if I didn't feel there was a need to.

Also, as for banking the cord blood, there's pretty much no need if you let the cord stop pulsing before cutting it.

Bit of a resurrection of this thread as I was looking up how to cut the cord away from the placenta. I found this amazing blog about how to encapsulate it. She gives so much detail AND pictures. Which for me is so much better than words. Plus she just looks like she has a fun blog :) May have to delve into it a bit.

https://savebirth.blogspot.com/2010/05/placenta-encapsulation-phaseday-1.html

She talks in the post about how you need to cut the membranes away from the placenta. For all you Placenta Doula's and mum's out there, did you do this bit?

Bit of a resurrection of this thread as I was looking up how to cut the cord away from the placenta. I found this amazing blog about how to encapsulate it. She gives so much detail AND pictures. Which for me is so much better than words. Plus she just looks like she has a fun blog :) May have to delve into it a bit.

https://savebirth.blogspot.com/2010/05/placenta-encapsulation-phaseday-1.html

She talks in the post about how you need to cut the membranes away from the placenta. For all you Placenta Doula's and mum's out there, did you do this bit?

Thanks for that website it looks good.

Every other website ive read says to cover the placenta in the membranes :shrug:

Unfortunately, I ended up with an emergency c-section and forgot to tell the doctor that I wanted to take my placenta home with me. I'm assuming they discarded it :(

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
chocolate 4
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->