What are your thoughts on polygamy?

R

robinator

In general.

I was just scrolling thru the TV guide and there is a show about a guy who is married to three women; two of them are twins. Huh.

From what I understand of the polygamy, as far as the FLDS goes (and this is in a huge nutshell), is that the more wives a man has, the more kids he has. The more kids he has, the greater his chance of becoming a god when he dies, and getting a planet of his own to rule. Women are denied divinity unless married, so unless they join in plural marriage and help with the reproducing, they won't get to rule along their husbands as a goddess on their planet.

Forgive me, I read that book a year and a half ago and it's all I remember.

But I don't buy the "we're all one big happy family" mumbo jumbo; unless you're a robot you have emotions (which include jealousy, etc.). Right.......??

I think it's great if it works for people. I'm sure in a truly polygamist relationship jealousy isn't a issue.

I read about a tribe in Asia where the women have more then one husband. I find that interesting, its obviously a very good form of population control though that said I think if I had 4 husbands there would be chaffing

It is not for me and I may be uncomfortable being around it, but it is certain people's way of life, so I wont judge them. I guess what ever floats your boat :haha::haha::haha: Everyone has a right to be happy IMO :)

I don't have a problem with it. I think consenting adults should love who they want. Its none of my concern if there is jeaslosy in someone else's relationship.

I think it's great if it works for people. I'm sure in a truly polygamist relationship jealousy isn't a issue.
I read about a tribe in Asia where the women have more then one husband. I find that interesting, its obviously a very good form of population control though that said I think if I had 4 husbands there would be chaffing

What would be a truly polygamist relationship then? How would there never be jealousy, or bitterness, or days when you think your sister wives are prettier/thinner/etc?

I would venture to guess a "truly" polygamist relationship would be one people went into willingly, instead of having it forced upon them (like a religion thing). But even then, surely the spouses still have emotions?

I'll be honest, I'm completely against it and I believe it ruins what marriage is suppose to be about. I can understand that it may work for some people, but as a Christian, I firmly believe that God created marriage to be between one man and one woman as a sacred covenant. Any other added person (as is in the case of polygamy), ruins that covenant.

Just my opinion. :flower:

I'm probably going to get roasted for this, but there are all kinds of marriage in the Bible, including polygamy. Check out the old testament.

I also don't think that anyone has the right to tell someone else who they can or cannot marry because of religious beliefs, whatever they may be. If you think marriage is a Christian institution, try getting married without a marriage license from the government...

I'm probably going to get roasted for this, but there are all kinds of marriage in the Bible, including polygamy. Check out the old testament.

This is true, but as you said, it's in the Old Testament. But the New Testament, Jesus describes marriage as a covenant between one man and one woman. Not trying to turn this religious, just wanting to address that point from my pov.

I don't have a problem with it. I think consenting adults should love who they want. Its none of my concern if there is jeaslosy in someone else's relationship.

What about nonconsenting people (as in the case of the Colorado City FLDS sect)? Girls as young as 12 are forced into plural marrige with men three times their age who already have several wives.

I read both of Carolyn Jessop's books in 2010 (who escaped from this place). Mindblowing, what goes on behind closed doors. There is an extreme amount of jealousy, competition and bitterness between the wives. Wives abuse the children of other wives to try and control that sisterwife. There is physical abuse, starvation and emotional abuse like you wouldn't believe. There is a heirarchy, and whoever is the favorite wife at the time wields power (thru fear) over the others, and the husband believes whatever she tells him, truth or lie.

It was horrible; unbelievable that people are forced to live like this - but in their case they are raised in that religion and system; they are really unaware that the rest of the world does things differently.

On the other hand, there do seem to be some happy polygamist families out there, ones who aren't part of any sect or cult.

This is true, but as you said, it's in the Old Testament. But the New Testament, Jesus describes marriage as a covenant between one man and one woman. Not trying to turn this religious, just wanting to address that point from my pov.

Many famous historical Christians disagreed with this. A lot of what is said on marriage (and many other issues in the New Testament) are actually the words of St Paul, or can be explained by greek grammar, also there is nothing solid in the NT against polygamy. Martin Luther believed polygamy was a Christian practice and believed his followers would have multiple wives in the future. The only church that outright says polygamy is and was not allowed ever for Christians is the Catholic Church, but they make a lot of rulings that seem to have no basis in the bible (priests not being allowed to marry for example).

I'm a Muslim and polygamy is allowed in my religion I know many second (and third) wives who chose that lifestyle and actually sought it out. However it isn't allowed to marry two (or more) sisters or a mother and daughter, in our religion xx

What about nonconsenting people (as in the case of the Colorado City FLDS sect)? Girls as young as 12 are forced into plural marrige with men three times their age who already have several wives.

I read both of Carolyn Jessop's books in 2010 (who escaped from this place). Mindblowing, what goes on behind closed doors. There is an extreme amount of jealousy, competition and bitterness between the wives. Wives abuse the children of other wives to try and control that sisterwife. There is physical abuse, starvation and emotional abuse like you wouldn't believe. There is a heirarchy, and whoever is the favorite wife at the time wields power (thru fear) over the others, and the husband believes whatever she tells him, truth or lie.

It was horrible; unbelievable that people are forced to live like this - but in their case they are raised in that religion and system; they are really unaware that the rest of the world does things differently.

On the other hand, there do seem to be some happy polygamist families out there, ones who aren't part of any sect or cult.

Like I said, I'm fine with CONSENTING ADULTS marrying who they want. What I mean is that I think they should be allowed to get marriage licenses and actually get married legally. The situation you described is not truly polygamy as they are performing ceremonies that are not legally marriages. Also the issue of abuse of spouses happens in monogamous marriages as well. Imo it is not a matter of polygamy causing these issues of child and spousal abuse, it is the fact that they are living within a cult like religion and have been essentially brainwashed into going along with the situation.

The idea creeps me out a bit but I think marriage should be between people who love each other and want to be married, whether that be two men, two women, one man and seventeen women, etc.

As a PP said, as long as it's between consenting adults who are capable of making their own decisions and choose that life for themselves...to each their own.

I personally couldn't ever be in a polygamist relationship, but I don't judge anyone who chooses that lifestyle. And, to be honest, I find the show Sister Wives to be absolutely fascinating and addicting.

Like I said, I'm fine with CONSENTING ADULTS marrying who they want. What I mean is that I think they should be allowed to get marriage licenses and actually get married legally.

Yep, I know you did. I was just bringing up another scenario :)

I'm a Muslim and polygamy is allowed in my religion I know many second (and third) wives who chose that lifestyle and actually sought it out. However it isn't allowed to marry two (or more) sisters or a mother and daughter, in our religion xx

What about in the states where polygamy is illegal (a felony) - do Muslims practice it here, albeit under the radar? All living together but without legal marriage certificates? Just curious. Is it legal in the UK if it's religion-based?

I personally couldn't ever be in a polygamist relationship, but I don't judge anyone who chooses that lifestyle. And, to be honest, I find the show Sister Wives to be absolutely fascinating and addicting.

I can't stop watching it, tbh. Although they all look EXHAUSTED!:haha:

As long as everyone is happy then it must work :thumbup:

I don't think it in any way lessens the concept of marriage for anyone else. Marriage is different all over the world, and as long as all parties are consenting then it's a nice thing, right?

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
lynnedm78
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->