What can i do to prepare?

PrincessKay

Reaction score
Ok so my homebirth has been approved and ive booked my pool. What else can i do to prepare? Should i get a birthing ball? I want to do as much as possible so that i can stay at home and i want it to be as calm as possible.

What did you do to prepare?

Lots of towels, a shower curtain to put on the floor for when u get out of the pool is a good idea. 2 buckets, one for putting clean water in and the other for sticking dirty stuff in and a shiv lol

I was on my birthing ball a lot during my labour so worth getting, just a cheap exercise ball from Argos does the job.

Good luck, I loved my Homebirth :)

I was on all fours on an old futon mattress, my k knees would have been killing me other wise, old duvet or something would be ok too. When I wasn't in the pool a hot water bottle was nice for my back.
X

- I got lots of snacks in for DH and my mum and the MWs!
- I made a playlist for labour.
- I packed a birth box with useful stuff in it, like maternity pads, nappy and clothes for the baby, old soft towels, a small fan and a lidded cup with a straw (so I could drink regardless of what position I was in)
- Some people make the bed twice.... make it with fresh sheets, cover it in plastic and then make it up with more (old) bedding. If you use the bed during birth, you can just strip the top layer off afterwards and climb into the fresh bed :)
- Buy/make a birthday cake (can stick it in the freezer and get it out when labour starts)
- Champagne in the fridge :D

What antenatal preparation are you doing in terms of understanding how to work with the intensity during labour? Relaxation techniques can be very helpful. I remembers a client saying she did lots of preparation in practical terms with her first but when it got to the day she had no idea how to get through the intensity of the contractions. Unfortunately simply being at home won't change the nature of labour. It doesn't have to be excruciatingly painful if you understand how to work with your body, but it is physically hard work and intense for the majority of us.

Maybe have a look at active birth classes or a Hypnobirthing couse for breathing and relaxation techniques.

https://www.babyandbump.com/home-natural-birthing/509198-home-study-hypno-birth.html#post8641424

I would agree with Mervsmum - its a good idea to get mentally prepared. I have been practising Hypnobirthing techniques and even though I havnt stuck religiously to practising every day, I have still improved my ability to breath deeply and feel confident that when the time comes I will be able to go 'into myself' to stay calm (with the help of relaxing music and soft lighting!).

I thin some women imagine that a home birth will automatically make them feel calm and relaxed, and although Im sure thats true to a degree, the overwhelming nature of contractions and labour will still be there if you've not prepared and techniques for coping.

I have ordere a birthing pool too, but plan to use a TENS machine for as long as possible before getting in (hopefully will get in around 5 or 6cm - if it feels right.

I would also say, be prepared for it not to go 100% as you visualise now. I have wonderful ideas about how I want my home water birth, but am prepared incase something goes wrong or I end up needing more pain relief than I expected and have to go into hospital. Some women feel such disappointment if they end up in hospital from a home birth, but if you keep and open mind from the very beginning, you will be prepared for anything that happens (babies are unpredictable!)

Home births can be wonderful experiences for everyone concerned, wishing you luck for yours, Im sure it will be amazing for you.

xxxx

I would get the practical things sorted def, but getting prepared mentally is probably equally if not more important. For my first homebirth, I did an active birth class which also incorporated visualisation and relaxation techniques. This def got me through labour, which felt more intense as opposed to painful. This time, in my birthplan, I'm stating that I want silence in the room, especially during contractions, because with my first, even low level conversation in the background, was bringing me out of the zone as I was nearing transition. I'm also doing a hypnobirthing cd to help me get through the labour.

I always look back at my first homebirth as an amazing experience and there was no doubt in my mind that this baby would be born at home too. Good luck! :flower:

my physical list is very much like madasas except the champers and cake but i think thats quite a nice idea i might pinch :winkwink: lol. im just waiting for the MWs to let me know if theres anything specific they will need. ive got a spare shower curtain and stacks of old towels anyway.

ive been practicing hypnobirthing since about 20 weeks. i practice the breathing techniques, visualizations and listen to the cd relaxation exercises a few times a week and read a list of affirmations ive made up every day.

i went for a pedicure the other day to get my toes painted since the sun was out. im very ticklish so when the woman was doing the cheesegrater on me i used the oppertunity to practice my labour breathing.

i also pulled out my old lava lamp today as i think it might be handy on the day to help me relax. i find my fish tank is good for this too :thumbup: and i acquired a colour changing candle for the same reasons.

Thanks for the advice ladies, i will invest in some hypnobirthing cds and books. Also gonna get a birthing ball soon too. Did any of you get a tens machine?

I have a question. I have seen several ladies comment about a "TENS machine." What is that? I have never heard of it. Is it a UK thing?

As for getting ready, I am not having a homebirth (illegal where I live) but I am still mentally preparing myself for a natural birth. Every time I start worrying about the pain, I remind myself that it is natural, it is not the "bad" pain that means something is wrong, but the "good" pain that means my body is doing exactly what it is supposed to. I also remind myself that I made the decision to go without any drugs because it is better for both my baby and myself. Basically, all my preparation is mental.

Tens machine

https://www.tens.co.uk/acatalog/ELLE.html

It has 2 settings

"Background" mode uses a low frequency designed to slowly build the level of your endorphines, the bodies own natural pain killer.

"Boost" mode uses a high frequency to block or mask the intense pain experienced at contraction time

Basically i think its just a little machine that releases a little electric charge to mask pain? Something like that anyway... x

Once I hit about 30 weeks I plan on doing the following to prepare:
-Buy a birthing pool (3 ring kiddie pool)
-Collect old shower curtains, towels, etc.
-Get everything that my midwives have listed (basins, baby hats, etc.)
-Write up a birth plan
-Come up with a list of things I want to have at home (snacks, drinks etc.)

I haven't done it yet myself but some things I'll be sure to have - music, candles (or other soft, pleasant lighting), snacks and drinks for during, food for afterward, and fuzzy comfy blankets and clothes for after. Pads and underwear you don't mind ruining.

I also love the cake and champagne idea!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
toe
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->