• Xenforo Cloud has scheduled an upgrade to XenForo version 2.2.16. This will take place on or shortly after the following date and time: Jul 05, 2024 at 05:00 PM (PT) There shouldn't be any downtime, as it's just a maintenance release. More info here

what can I expect at my midwife appointment (Canada)

jenmcn1

Expecting baby #4:)
Reaction score
I have my first midwife appointment tomorrow, and I'm not sure what to expect? I've had 2 other kids, but always been under the care of a doctor. Which my appt's with a doctor have always been about 15 minutes at the most...my appt is supposed to be 1hr long tomorrow, and will be like that every appt.
So my question is what else shouldi expect? I'm 8-9 weeks, so will the midwife attempt to hear a heartbeat with a doppler? I'm anxious to know if everything is ok with baby (haven't had an u/s yet).

She will probably ask you a billion questions about your history and your previous two births, about your partner, order bloodwork, she will probably see if she can feel your uterus yet, and I doubt she will try to Doppler, mine never tried until 12 weeks. Uhm, she will probably ask when your last pap was and probably schedule one if it's been more than a year... Basically just a lot of q&a!

She will probably ask you a billion questions about your history and your previous two births, about your partner, order bloodwork, she will probably see if she can feel your uterus yet, and I doubt she will try to Doppler, mine never tried until 12 weeks. Uhm, she will probably ask when your last pap was and probably schedule one if it's been more than a year... Basically just a lot of q&a!

Some things to add, she'll ask you where you want to give birth, hospital or home. They'll give you some paperwork for your bloodwork, and if you are having the 12 week testing done. They wont attempt a doppler because its too early. And she'll tell you exactly how things will go during the birth, and who all will be there and what midwives are all about. She'll give you contact numbers of other midwives in case you cant reach her. This was at my midwife not sure if its the same elsewhere. I think that's it so far.

Thanks ladies, I think things will be a bit different for me, since it will be a repeat c-section...I'm not allowed a VBAC, but my midwife is aware of all this. Thankfully she still accepted me into her care. I'm curious when midwives will allow an u/s as I know MOST midwives like to avoid them most of the time.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
cnewt116
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->