what can you take for a cold?

MrsQ

Mummy to Mikey and bump
Reaction score
I have a chest infection and am gonna gt some amoxycillin when hubs can get home (got prescription off drs yesterday) and i have a snotty runny and swollen nose.

Any idea what i can do to get rid?
xxx

honey and lemon or vicks but thats it all normal cold medications have a decongestant in them that isnt safe for pregnant women

Neti-pot or saline rinse - I had horrible allergies, stuffy beyond belief!!! in the first-tri but my dr doesn't like meds if they can be avoided so this is what she recommened along with peppermint tea and it really did work not too badly.

I took benadryl with my cold, but you can also take sudafed. I also had cepacol cough drops for my cough.

i have benadryl but didnt know you could take it when pregnaNT?

Best not to take decongestants - no proof of safety. Steam is great but do it at least 4 times a day for the best benefit.

Hope you are feeling better soon x

in the little 'what's safe to take while pregnant' book I was given by my OB... it says

Cough:
- Dextormethorphan syrup (e.g.: Balminil DM, Benylin DM) is considered safe (I took Benylin for my cold a few weeks ago and I'm fine)
- to help eliminate secretions, drink plenty of water
- if accompanied by a fever, seek medical attention

Nasal congestion
- saline solution as first step (I used a neti pot - it's fantastic)
- if it does not work use a nasal spray decongestant such as xylomethazoline (e.g. Otrivin) or oxymethazoline (e.g. Dristan) for a maximum of 3 days (I used it a couple nights when the neti pot just wouldn't cut it)

hope you feel better soon!

i have benadryl but didnt know you could take it when pregnaNT?

Yep, its on the safe list. I didn't have any sudafed in the house, but we had that, so I used it to help clear my sinuses.

You could take Tylenol cold, not sure if you have that where you live, but in my first trimester I had a horrible cold, and that was the only thing the doctor would let me take.
I hope you feel better very soon.

I tried to buy Vicks in Boots yesterday and the lady at the medicines counter wouldn't let me have it- said it wasn't safe for pregnant ladies. I nearly cried!

Yeah pharmacist in boots told me vicks isnt safe for pregnant women!

i wanted the nasal spray! So she gave me a natural alternative...its an 'isotonic salt water' nasal spray...its non-medicinal and drug free but it did help clear out my nose!!

I was choked to my eyeballs and it felt really nice to get the 'clean' feeling.

So maybe go ask for this and give it a try?!

Yeah pharmacist in boots told me vicks isnt safe for pregnant women!

i wanted the nasal spray! So she gave me a natural alternative...its an 'isotonic salt water' nasal spray...its non-medicinal and drug free but it did help clear out my nose!!

I was choked to my eyeballs and it felt really nice to get the 'clean' feeling.

So maybe go ask for this and give it a try?!

Ditto - my doctor told me I could only take paracetamol. Pharmacist said I could not use vicks only menthol crystals, which were pants, and simple steaming with boiling water. :shrug:

oh dear been using vicks vapo rub and also inhaling olbas oil nose tube thingy?
x

Ditto - my doctor told me I could only take paracetamol. Pharmacist said I could not use vicks only menthol crystals, which were pants, and simple steaming with boiling water. :shrug:

Yeah i was told paracetemol and thats about it, not even strepsils?! But Soothers are apparently ok- says on the packet they are fine but they dont really do much so pretty pointless!!

oh dear been using vicks vapo rub and also inhaling olbas oil nose tube thingy?

Id maybe stay off it now then...as i definitely was told its a no no? If u want menthol vapour to clear your nose i used the 'Airwaves' chewing gum...wasnt a long term fix but definitely helped when my head felt like it was full of lead!!

At my midwife appointment yesterday I told her I used vaporub and she had no problem with that. Also, everything I've read online said it was safe.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
An1583
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->