What charitable things do you do at Christmas?

I was interested in doing a shoebox appeal, but also had reservations about the religious part.

Just heard about a lady locally who's doing a christmas day dinner for homeless people, so will get in touch and see if they need some donations.

Been looking at charity christmas cards, but some were so expensive and only gave a v small donation to the actual charity. Now decided not to send cards, other than to immediate family, and give a donation to the local hospice instead.

I pick a needy child's name off the tree and buy their Christmas. I'm also doing 5 small random acts, so this morning I paid for the breakfast of the car behind me at the drive thru (I know, done to death! but hopefully it made that person smile). Also participating in coats for kids on the Thursday. Filled a rice bowl (the kids in church nursery got these rice bowl piggy bank things) with all my change over the past month and that money goes to feed kids around the world. Not sure what else I'll do.

I used to do the shoebox appeal but there was a big debate about them putting religious literature in the shoeboxes so stopped.

I donate to the foodbank as I do most months and this year my local ASDA has a donation trolley for toys and pyjamas so will put something in them. I also have a big clear out of stuff on eBay and donate some money to charity- like others say they tend to put big price tags on clothes or the staff buy the stuff cheaper/get it for free so would rather go in and donate as a cash donation rather than buying things in there to give money to the charity iyswim.

I was also going to do toiletry hampers for Womans Aid but there was no drop off point nearby.

we do our old towns 'toy collection' which has been running a few years now, they give them out with the food bank parcels.

Ive put into the food bank here, which is distributed to local families (we are in cyprus)

and i feed homeless people on our london day out every year. last year it was xmas eve, i gave out 5 meal deals - not a lot, but to them it was a bloody good dinner. this year itll be the 23rd and i havent decided what ill give out yet. my kids help, i dont want them carrying the stigma that homeless people are somehow dangerous or deserving of struggle.

little things but they add up i guess.

I give to a local toy appeal and food for the food bank. I haven't done the shoeboxes since I was a kid but I'll look into it next year (missed this year's deadline) especially now dd1 is old enough to get involved.

This year I'm taking baby clothes and nappies to the mother and baby unit. I'm also buying a few selection boxes for the mums that are in there over the Christmas period. The mother and baby unit helped me so much and I want to give a little back x

Nothing, how bad is that! I always found once iv bought all my own pressies I'm totally skint. This year I'm going to donate some shopping at sainsbury, I seen they had a trolley and especially needed toiletries so will happily do that!

Thanks everyone, we found a gift wish tree where you pick a label and it has a child's name (just first) gender and age, we're going to get each boy to take one and buy a gift for that child. I wil l try to donate some things into a food bank too.

I wish they did the Christmas tree thing here but I've yet to see it. In the past, we've donated used toys to charity shops and bought pet food for the local animal shelter but this year I'll also do a food bank donation and a money donation to the local radio station's toy appeal.

We tend to put together a package for the local food bank and drop some dog food and treats into the local rescue centre. I know its not 'charitable' but I always try to donate blood in the week or so before Christmas - they always have a drop in donations over the Christmas period but the need is still there just as much as normal.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
JTom
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->