What do I do OH doesn't like my favourite boys name

KJM2

Reaction score
We've already got a little boy, although we don't know if we are having a boy or a girl this time. We are in agreement for girls names but are having problem agreeing on a boys name. I really like Rory but my OH doesn't. I can't seem to like any other name as much. OH doesn't really talk about it and iam now 38 wks pregnant. He says let's wait until baby is born and see what name suits. Which I think is rubbish I think you have to at least have some idea of at least one or two names. I also want to have the baby named when we announce he or she has arrived.

Has anyone else been in this situation, did you get your own way once your OH had seen what you had been through during labour?.

I've not been in your situation. But seeing as you have a name you want and OH has no suggestions, I'd leave it and just insist on Rory once he's born (unless of course you change your mind). It may be a girl anyway and if it's a boy, I doubt he'll refuse you after you've just given birth to his child. ;)

I love the name Rory, but we actually have it on our girl name list...

I'd just have a list of your favorites, including Rory and put DH on the spot when baby is born. Hopefully your labor will go smoothly and you will have time to discuss with DH then. Maybe the "realness" of labor will be enough to get him to commit to a name!

Good luck!

I have the same problem I've always loved Emma but hubby has always disliked it but wont give any alternative names for a girl.

I've decided to wait until baby arrives and if its a girl and he doesn't offer any alternatives it will be an Emma x

I do not like it....only because it can be very hard for kids to pronounce until they are maybe 9 and get their ''r's'' right...
And second I like gender specific names.. Rory can be both females and males...I like to know when I look at someones name if I am looking at girls name or boys...

But that just my opinion. I kinda agree that you have to wait and see what baby looks like...I am sure it will be super cute.

I had the name Marta for my baby girl. When she was born, she was an Annabelle.
This time around, we both loved the name Joseph and it suited I'm perfectly when he was born.

If I were you, I'd wait until the baby is born. It may well be a girl and if not, after watching you in pain, then cuddling up with his family, he may well be a bit more lenient ;)

I love Rory
If OH isn't bothered I would say when he's born 'he looks like a Rory' and fight for the name u like xz

I think I'd be in the same situation if this LO had been a girl! OH said no way to my favourite girl name, didn't come up with any other suggestion, then when he finally did... it was my ex's first name :dohh:

My OH's first reaction when I suggested my favourite boy name was the same: he said no way and took it off the list entirely. However, he changed his mind after we found out we were having a son. We've agreed to still wait until after the birth to settle on a name, but he is the one who tells everyone "he's probably going to be an Arthur".

So my only advice is to wait until birth. Once it'll become more "real" for your OH, he might change his mind!
And personally I don't think it's a big deal to go for a few days without a name... I was nameless for 5 days, my 9yo sister 3 days, it's only my brother who had a name right away :haha:

Before I was pregnant and during the first trimester, I loved Lucas. Unfortunately OH hated it. I was really upset for a while, then I fell in love with the name Micah. Infuriatingly OH still wasn't keen! I couldn't see him as anything else (well we were :yellow: but both convinced he was a boy!), we eventually semi agreed on Charlie with an agreement to wait and see what he looked like… well, to my total surprise OH decided when he was born that he should be Micah after all! By some fluke he'd gone off of Charlie after associating it with a book character and said I should get more say in the naming after going through labour!

I would never ever have expected him to back down!

Thanks everyone, I due in a week and have stopped talking about it with him. I've said he has to come up with what names he likes and if we can't agree hoping I will get my way. I'm not worried about the name not being gender specific as we live in the uk and Rory is definitely a boys name. I've never ever heard of a girl being called rory.

Rory is an Irish/Gaelic/Scottish name...I'm Irish and you won't find a female Rory around these parts! It's most definitely a boys' name here! (Although not meaning to offend any mummies of Rory girlies). It can also be spelt the Irish way - Ruaidhrí or Ruairí.

I'm kinda in the same situation and my DH hasn't really been bothered to offer up alternatives to my fav name which he hates. But, I don't think I could force the name as I'd be worried that he'd always hate it. I'm just praying that he/I/we can find one that we can agree on!

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
mnmorrison79
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->