What do you do for a living?

pregatlast

Brand new mummy
Reaction score
I work for a bank. I don't totally hate it but I don't love it and I really don't want to go back. I feel I'm having a mid life crisis or something (early I might add!) and feel this is perhaps the ideal time to not go back there and do domething completely different that gives me the flexibility to spend more time with my children - but I don't know what!!! I keep hoping I have a flash of inspiration....but it still hasn't happened! I'd love to have my own business, but is it the wrong time? Is it too time consuming and would it take me away from the children? I'm stuck!!

So what do you do?

LOL- this reminds me of where I was about 18mos ago! :haha:

I too work for a bank- I'm in Quality Assurance... and, although I'm great at my job, it's not what I'd call my "passion" in life. haha. But then again- how many people get to do work they are passionate about? And make good money!

I looked into my options once (after being laid off years ago)- but couldn't find my nitch. Then I think I went through a stage where I just needed change. But after reseaching other jobs I'd like- I discovered, that going back to school and the time and energy and money that would take (while also working FT- as giving up my current job is not an option)- then starting at the bottom again and making *maybe* half what I make now... just wasn't worth it. So, I changed to another team in my same dept... I may not love my job, but I really like it. And it's flexible, I can set my hours, work from home on fridays and really like my new team and manager-- so yeah. That's my story ;)

With all that said- if you have something you are good at, enjoy doing and feel you can make a living out of it, and can afford the time it takes now... then why not go for it?! Personally, I've filled my creative need in other ways- like planning parties for friends, or baking (which I love to do) for events for people I know... nothing too time consuming, and maybe some day I'll expand and look into other options? Who knows.

Lol I too work for a bank, I'm an underwriter! It's a job, used to enjoy it more than I do now, priorities have changed I guess, and I'm only part time now so I think it changed how people treat you!
I'd love to leave, oh keeps telling me I can, but it's scary and a decent wage to give up!
I'd love to start my own business, have an idea what I'd like to do but it's gonna take training and money and I'm scared! Been with my employer for 15 years, it's really all I've known!

I'm a teacher. Primary school, Upper Key Stage 2. Full time. It's hard work but I really enjoy it (mostly). My favourite thing is the flexibility with hours - although I have A LOT of work to do, I can leave school at 4pm most afternoons. I get to spend the evening with LO and then do my marking/planning etc after he's gone to bed. It has a lot of good bits and is challenging which I enjoy.

I'm a nurse working for nhs. I work on the bank so pick my hours. I do a maximum of two long shifts a week (7.30-20.00). It's great cause I'm in charge of my hours... If boys are ill or want to do something I can shuffle around. I only work two days but do 24 hours so get a good wage but still have 5 full days with my children :)

I was a pharmacy tech at a pharmacy for the last five years but quit a month ago to be a sahm. I have been in college for the last five years (since I graduated highschool) to be an upper elementary education teacher. I have changed my major several times hence the five years. lol. I should be done in two but due to this pregnancy, had to push the school of education back a year, so will FINALLY finish in three. Then will be a k-6 teacher!

Teacher - was in TEFL, but finally (!) moved to Latin/Classics at a school in the UK. I've spent this term going back and forth between the UK and Ireland, but we are all moving over to the UK in August....(OH not working and we have an au pair, and yes, it breaks my heart to leave LO, but once I am established in September, will have all holidays, shorter days and it is a short-term pain for a long-term better quality of life)....

I'm a teacher also, and I LOVE it! I have fun (nearly) every day at work. With a 4 year old, and another on the way, it is a huge blessing to leave work every day at 4:00, know I will have every weekend and holiday off, and several weeks break in the summer. I hope you find what makes you happy!

I'm self employed and run my own dog training school, this is my passion so it definitely doesn't feel like work. I am just starting up another side to the business which I am hoping will take off in the coming years :)
I get to be with my little girl every day and get to work, I am very happy with the balance :)

I tutor English for kids who struggle. I absolutely love it. It's not like work at all- last week we made dating profiles for inanimate objects to learn about personification so it's far from a boring desk job! Start a new assignment tomorrow with a child in care and very excited and nervous.

Also at uni so will get a proper career when I graduate.

I am a nanny/daycare to 4 other 2 year olds plus my own :) I do that Monday thru Saturday from 8:30am-6:00pm and then my evening job is doing bookkeeping and other admin stuff for a CPA firm. I'm fortunate enough that I can do my second job whenever I please so I turned it into an evening job...I work there from about 6:00pm - 8/11ish pm :) Monday thru Friday.

I tutor English for kids who struggle. I absolutely love it. It's not like work at all- last week we made dating profiles for inanimate objects to learn about personification so it's far from a boring desk job! Start a new assignment tomorrow with a child in care and very excited and nervous.

Also at uni so will get a proper career when I graduate.

I teach literacy, and I'm so going to use this next year to teach personification! How cute!

I am a sahm but I was a graphic designer until the stress got to me. I like the work, but I was miserable at my job for other reasons. It can be very high stress with long hours.

I am a SAHM at the moment, but prior to having LO I was a writer in communications/marketing/PR. Basically like being a journalist except working for a company and being paid to write and publish stories/editorial/interviews about how awesome the company is. Ugh, I hated it. I love writing but I hated being a mouthpiece for something I didn't believe in. When I eventually go back to work I have vowed never to go back into a corporate environment. I'd rather become a barista or a truck driver or a cow poo scraper. :lol: Working on my own stuff is a goal, pretty hard to do with a crazy toddler to chase after all day though.

I'm a psychiatric nurse working in a semi secure unit. I work full time. It's hard going but I love my job and can't imagine doing anything else!

I'm about to begin working in a retirement home doing care next week. Just finished seven years in a supermarket.

I am a personal support assistant to a teenage boy with cerebral palsy. I work with him in his family home two overnight shifts per week, 4pm - 8am, I can usually sleep a few hours while I'm there but I have a monitor and get up when he needs me. I've worked with him for nearly 5 years. Before I had Micah it was a second job, and my main job was working in a special school supporting children with complex needs. I gave that up when I had Micah as my current job made more sense, I do 32 hours work but all in 2 nights so I'm with Micah every day and OH has him while I work. (my dad has Micah for the couple of hours that our jobs overlap).

I would love to go back and train to be a speech therapist, or failing that a Makaton trainer.

I'm an Archives Assistant, I'm studying my Masters in Archive Administration part time so I will be qualified to be an Archivist not just an assistant. I love my job, I work in university archives, when I was in uni I couldn't decide between being a history teacher or working in heritage, an archivist is the middle ground IMO, I get to look after important stuff but there's an aspect of teaching with the work I do with students, talks/tours I give, but without the lesson planning and being around teenagers all the time lol.

I am an Assistant Accountant. I've been with my company for 7 years and done a variety of roles including credit control (which I didn't enjoy!). Luckily I came back to work part-time and they didn't think I could do credit control part-time so I'm back on the other side.

I deal with the bank accounts. I love doing my bank recs every month (I'm a little crazy). I deal with invoices and process two payment runs a week.

Unfortunately because of the commute I have I work 3 days over 4 days. I would love to work 3 days and actually be in the office for just 3 days but that isn't going to work at the moment. Anything closer to home is a big drop in money which I can't do right now.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->