What do you do for a living?

I work part time as a library assistant. I'm also having a bit of a mid life crisis, but in a totally different way! I currently only work a sunday and was planning to take up more hours in the autumn until I realised that I don't actually earn enough to cover the cost of childcare :( So instead I've decided to retrain and get myself a decent job. Due to start a part time Masters in September, yikes!

I work part time as a library assistant. I'm also having a bit of a mid life crisis, but in a totally different way! I currently only work a sunday and was planning to take up more hours in the autumn until I realised that I don't actually earn enough to cover the cost of childcare :( So instead I've decided to retrain and get myself a decent job. Due to start a part time Masters in September, yikes!

Are you going into information management? (Just wondering because of the library work :))

Love reading what other people do for a living! I'm a paramedic I love my job but it can be stressful:)

By trade I'm a makeup artist. I used to work for a TV station, however since I have had Niamh I can't get up at 3am to do the newsreaders makeup... And I have absolutely no interest in doing Bridal makeup. I did it for 4 weeks and I couldn't stand all the opinions.
All these Brides telling me what they wanted while I tried to explain (politely) that it looked horrendous on them.

I like people to sit down and shut up:blush:

So now I'm running my husband's IT consultation company.

I hope to get back into makeup when Niamh is older, hopefully back into the editorial side but I worry I've been out of it so long and it's a tough nut to crack.

I wouldn't mind going back into TV either. I really loved doing some of the shows.

I am mostly a SAHM now. Before getting pregnant with my boys, I was a self employed restorer and painter of antique and fine furniture and a self employed illustrator. The chemicals I worked with for the furniture restoration are very dangerous so I had to quit this when I started treatment. I still do 3 commissions of illustrations a year though but even this little is tough going if I want to have any time to relax in the evening lol

Wow! I'm loving reading about what everyone does too! Most people seem to love their jobs. On paper my job is perfect for me (resource planning) but in reality it's all about 'doctoring' figures so they say/show what management need/want them to so I feel my job is totally pointless. I want something rewarding. I want to make a difference - but I still need to make a decent living!

I'm a SAHM at the moment and will be until my LO turns 3 next May and goes to Kindergarten.

Before I came here I was working as a care assistant in a residential care home looking after the elderly with dementia. I managed to get as far as an NVQ2 (not much I know). Sadly that qualification is not recognised here and you need to have some sort of qualification to do care work here - so I have no intentions of returning to that line of work (and I hated it anyway).

I have since got myself a TEFL certificate to teach English as a foreign language but I have yet to put it to good use - it's something to consider when the time comes.

I have keen interests in photography and cake decorating and these are also things I might consider doing.

Im a human resources assistant for a fairly large company. I love my job and am really happy. I work 9 till 1 Monday to Friday and get to spend every afternoon with my lo.

I'm a cytotechnologist, and do cancer diagnostics/cancer screening. I love my job. It's Mon-Fri, regular schedule, get most major holidays off (whereas most other lab jobs work are staffed every day, including major holidays. I do think they kind of hate that about my position, lol), I love the actual work I do with my job.

ETA: I also have my Masters in Molecular Diagnostics, and do HPV testing in conjunction with Pap Screening, as well as vaginosis testing.

Another library assistant here! (Currently on mat leave) i work in a uni library and really enjoy it :) sttangely enough it's not something i thought of doing until i left uni but once i thought about it, it felt really right for me and i applied for several posts. I was offered my current job and am planning to study information management once i've finshed popping out sprogs :haha:

I'm a Social Care Worker, working with adults who have physical and/or learning disabilities. My last shift there is actually today though as I'm starting a new job tomorrow! I'm going to be working in an Additional Support Needs unit in a high school, really nervous but I'm sure once I'm settled it will be okay! I'll only be working on a Thursday and Friday and I get all the school holidays off :) I do tomorrow, then Thursday and Friday next week and then 6 week summer holidays start!

I run a business providing community arts education to people with learning disabilities. I also teach some of the classes - predominantly drama and dance. I only work part time at the moment but hope to get more involved with delivering classes when I finish my next year of maternity leave. I love it and left another well paid job to take a Masters in Applied Drama which prepared me for this line of work.

I'm training to be a social worker. Hoping to go into either the child protection or adoption/fostering field. My OH and I are starting up our own business, so depending on how successful it is, who knows which route I will take. I'd love to work for myself though.

I'm a SAHM at the moment but used to work admin at the hospital. I worked in Clinical Oncology and briefly in Orthopaedics. Preferred Oncology though, far more interesting/rewarding.
I'm not sure if i'll eventually go back to the hospital or whether I'd like to retrain into the management side of things.
My dream job would be working with animals so I may volunteer when Jacob's settled at school in September and see where it takes me...

I work in the NHS, I'm personal secretary to the assistant director for research, innovation and effectiveness. I'm also doing an access to midwifery course and hope to study midwifery at university once DS starts school and then I hope to train to become a Health Visitor.

At the minute though I love my job, my boss is ridiculously flexible and the team I work with are fantastic so I'm very lucky. Also I've been in my job 4 years now so since starting I've got married, had a baby and will now have my 2nd whilst there so I feel I've kind of grown up with them!

I'm a registered nurse. I work in the NHS in a very small community hospital. Mainly working with end of life care, post orthopaedic op rehab and dementia patients. A real mixture of ages too! We also run a minor injuries unit 24 hours a day so I have a post graduate certificate in urgent care. I can suture wounds and review X-rays. Love my job :) x

I work for the nhs too but as an engineer making sure all the heating, electric etc... Is kept working. I love it, it's so varied and I get out of the office a lot.

Up until yesterday I was an Admin Team Leader/Performance Officer for a mental health service. Loved my job but unfortunatey due to childcare issues, I have had to give my job up (In laws had the children but they are now unable to look after them due to change in circumstances & to pay for childcare was not worth it).

My husband and I are the assistant managers for a campground/motel resort. It has it's pros and cons.

It includes a place to live but it gets really stressful because we feel like we work 24/7 and the pay is rubbish because the house is considered part of the salary. I get to take care of my son while I work, but it's not easy to provide customer service with an 11 mo old screaming because he's tired or bored. Summer is hardest since it's so busy.

But it has it's moments of being fun. My favorite is labor day. We do a horseshoe tournament and serve bloody marys, and champagne punch. I usually do the bartending and make a decent amount in tips. And the winter months are easier as we aren't as busy.

Right now I'm a full time marine biology student in college, while working part time in a super busy hospital emergency room! :haha:

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
coco.g
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->