what do you do with biters?

bababas

Reaction score
my LO is teething. and started biting. i am scared!

any advice is welcome. dont wanna wean yet since he still wakes up in the night. dont wanna go down to prepare any bottles in the middle of the night :haha:

when DS started to bite down i'd say in a panicked voice, "ow! hurt mama" and if he continued i'd unlatch him and relatch over and over until he stopped.

That's good advice - my dd isn't teething but she's started clamping her jaw and biting my nips. It's so sore! Razor gums!

Stay calm and remove him. You can do this either by sliding your finger in or by pushing his face into your boob so he has to open his mouth to breathe (I personally prefer the first way, because it seems less scary, but it's up to you). Say something firm and brief, like "That hurts, please don't bite me." And then maybe put him down and/or ignore him and/or don't latch him on again for a little while. This last part I think you have to do based on your baby's personality. It should send a clear message that biting is not funny and it's not a game, but it shouldn't be so harsh that it's scary.

He just got his sharp little bottom teeth and he of course bit me tonight :(
It really hurt and said "hey, no biting" and took him off the boob. He just smiled at me and I'm scared he might think it is a game.

Lily, just don't smile back and keep doing what you're doing. He will learn.

I didn't smile, my nipple was in pain. I really hope he learns soon. I don't even want to think what he will do if the top teeth start coming...

Alfie went through a stage of this when he cut his first two teeth. I would stop feeding immediately and put him down and say 'no you mustn't bite mummy'. I quickly learned to anticipate a bite and would take him off the boob promptly or put my finger in his mouth to protect my nipple! Luckily he stopped within a week or so, and he hasn't bitten since except for the odd one off

Oh and Alfie grins when he does it too! I think as long as you try not to react in a way that they find amusing, they shouldn't think that it's a game!

I found my LO bit more when he wasnt really hungry.i also say bi it hurts and unlatch him.he's 1 now and understands 'all gone' so i tell him its all gone if he bites.

I pushed my LO's face into my boob just to release her bite... and since it was close to the end of the feed I immediately removed her from nursing. I also screamed pretty loud because of how bad it hurt, seriously I couldn't help that reflex. So between being startled, half-smothered and left hungry... she really only did it a few times before she realized not to bite me.... then she started biting her sister.

Users who are viewing this thread

Members online

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
Members
Latest member
awin68top2
Back
monitoring_string = "c48fb0faa520c8dfff8c4deab485d3d2"
<-- Admiral -->